Evaluate my print (IKEA LED HOLDER)

LePaul

Posted · Evaluate my print (IKEA LED HOLDER)

Actually I think its the lighting and all the blue, in hand, it looks fine

I printed one of the IKEA light holders you referenced and made the tweaks gr5 suggested I also went back to Silver PLA

gallery_536_202_49163.jpg

I measured my PLA and noticed it was exactly 2.8 so I changed it in CURA from 2.85 (I didn't think this would matter much...but why not try)

I did the .4 bottom/top thickness

Infill was already checked

Part sticks very well to the tape...I wipe it down with the rubbing alcohol. Scraping, CO2 blasting...I'm stll ripping the tape...so I'm fine with just replacing it

I have an errand to run, but when i get back, I'll try making that entire set...and finally have some nice lights :)

No I haven't messed with that yet...but right now I am printing out the set piece and so far its looking pretty good. I'm recording it on video so I can fast forward and review. There were a few passes that had me wondering...hoping for the best!

How are you getting those LED bars to fit the mounts? It says to slide them in from the side...well with the plastic casing, I don't see how you can do that without a lot of filing or breaking them

Ok I measured the opening of the part and it shows as 8.4mm The IKEA light bar is over 9mm

Here's the settings I printed with, would that be part of the problem?

gallery_536_202_42838.jpg

And here is how the parts came out

Looks pretty good, now if I could make the lights fit!

gallery_536_202_82684.jpeg

gallery_536_202_108527.jpg

Does the image show the finished parts? Because the top layers are missing. If you set Bottom/Top Thickness that low (you have 0.4), with a layers size of 0.2 it means there are only two top layers. I would stick to the default of 0.6 or increase it to 0.8.

Regarding the led bars - yes they barely fit. And there is another issue. If the first layers of the object (those that stick to the bed) form a ridge (are abit wider) the will also take some space away from the place where the led bars belong. You could file it. I had trouble fitting the led bars. For the back holders I broke them a bit because I couldn't slide the bars from the side.

Hey Paul, another idea how to insert the led bars. Use a hair dryer and heat up the parts a bit. Don't over do it! PLA becomes soft rather quickly when heated up. Then insert the led bars and clamp it with your fingers (don't burn yourself). My led holders for the rear plate still hold well even if they are a bit creacked. I will print new ones and also use the hair dryer trick.

Now for some humor...

Nick....I've been bald for years. I haven't owned a hair dryer since the 90s :)

Yes completed items, I was wondering why it did the bottom fine but no top, even those those are checked on in the Expert Settings

I'll change that to .8 on the Bottom/top thickness

Alternatively get some hot water (over 60-70 deg c) place part in it for a few seconds, remove (very carefully so not to burn oneself) and you will have a nice pliable print.

I have found that prints do have a memory, to a point, and will try to go back to their original form.

I wonder, is changing the bottom/top thickness the reason the parts have no top layer (as the bottom does)?

Weird, my nozzle wouldn't heat...it looks like the connector on the print head wiggled loose even though it was in the retaining clip. Quick fix...but not a good omen for this print!

Nick,

I suspect sometime during that print, the connector on the print head popped off, so the remaining passes were done with no heat...so this time around, plus the changes you suggested, should give a better part

Ok, much better this time...I think I need to fine tune the cable harness above the print head some. Just to make sure this doesn't pop off again

gallery_536_202_101887.jpeg

gallery_536_202_119135.jpg

I put a lot of time into fine tuning and checking my Ultimaker out and I'm please with how these prints came out.

Ok, using near boiling water and dipping the part in for a second or two, I could slide the LED bar in

However...it doesn't go back into shape as nicely. These are workable tho!