Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Guest maht

Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
1 hour ago, kmanstudios said:

Have you checked with your resellers? They are the ones that are supposed to be your main point of contact for service and warranty issues.

Yes. they told me they are waiting on solutions from ultimaker themselves

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

UM3. Cura 4, firmware 5.2 on printer. No problem, except IP address added manually on Cura.

By the way it seems to me that stepper motors sound different , it think they run smoothly.

Or is just an imagination ?

Edited by Gigi
    added printer type

25 minutes ago, Gigi said:

By the way it seems to me that stepper motors sound different , it think they run smoothly.

Or is just an imagination ?

Yes, I read something about a change with the stepper motors, so it is not an imagination 🙂 

1 hour ago, ScanHD said:

Yes. they told me they are waiting on solutions from ultimaker themselves

Unfortunately I have the same feeling, I buy an Ultimaker S5 instead of a Raise3D, everyone praise the seriousness of Ultimaker, still waiting for bug fixes ... more Ultimaker communication on the S5 is a disaster .... (disappearance of the aluminum tray) and today the firmware bugs ... really bad ...

10 hours ago, piphil said:

+1, it has now been 2 weeks.

Even DM'ing Ultimaker staff gets no response.

Service providers are doing their best but have no news from Ultimaker.

You really have to go through the resellers.  UM won't hear your pain unless the resellers do.  For example you could call them every day or you could tell them you want to down grade until the firmware is fixed or you could insist you return it to them and have them downgrade it for you.

It really takes a lot of complaints I think for the pain of end users to filter through the resellers, through the distributors, and finally back to Ultimaker.

I don't think UM realizes the scope of the problem.  Or maybe I'm completely wrong and it's only 10 people in the world who have issues with the upgrade and UM realizes this and they will fix this at some point.  But right now my impression is that UM doesn't understand how big the problem is and most people are just downgrading on their own.  I think if they knew how big the problem was they would have disabled the 5.2 upgrade 2 weeks ago.

• Like 2

I have worked round my issues. To some success.

Factory reset x3

i reverted back cura 3.6. (No more build volume rejections)

manual levelling.

turned off active level frequency. Stops error of print core differences.

not perfect by any means.

that seems to have worked for me, although the stepper control seems worse? V juttery. Given nothing was working im up.

+1 week out of action. Not entirely impressed w the start up attitude of allowing customers to find your issues over proper testing.

will wait till there are solid firmware updates confirmed here before i even think about updating again.

agreed re reseller communication but what happens when youre out of warentee? returning the printer isnt really an option or what happens if you bought second hand? My reseller expressed they are aware of the issue but there is nothing they can do. -atleast i made the call i guess...

UM3. Advice. Reset Cura Connect from printer. No more problems detecting printer from Cura (4.0). LAN connection.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 4:50 PM, Trueblondegod said:

what happens if you bought second hand?

Each printer has a serial number on it.  They know how old the printer is. I think it's still covered even if second hand. Distributors occasionally also fix things for free even when out of warranty.

On 4/5/2019 at 10:01 PM, gr5 said:

I don't think UM realizes the scope of the problem.  Or maybe I'm completely wrong and it's only 10 people in the world who have issues with the upgrade and UM realizes this and they will fix this at some point.  But right now my impression is that UM doesn't understand how big the problem is and most people are just downgrading on their own.  I think if they knew how big the problem was they would have disabled the 5.2 upgrade 2 weeks ago.

Or maybe to take serious this forum.

Or even to explain how to solve the problems after upgrade. 

You have to realize that there are many thousands of UM printers out there but only a handful of complaints on the forum.  Something like 0.1% of people with UM printers complaining on the forum is not convincing enough.  However if all 10 or so distributors each hear from 10 resellers each hear from 10 UM owners, (1000 complaints) that will get the attention of UM and hopefully they will disable this upgrade until a few more things are worked out.  New people are upgrading their firmware every day.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, gr5 said:

You have to realize that there are many thousands of UM printers out there but only a handful of complaints on the forum.  Something like 0.1% of people with UM printers complaining on the forum is not convincing enough.  However if all 10 or so distributors each hear from 10 resellers each hear from 10 UM owners, (1000 complaints) that will get the attention of UM and hopefully they will disable this upgrade until a few more things are worked out.  New people are upgrading their firmware every day.

Gr5

Not to be argumentative and yet; it is “highly” probable and very likely that the percentage of owners/end users and businesses active on this forum is a token percentage; who knows; maybe it’s 0.1% which would equal 100% based on your sampling.

Furthermore; I personally speak with a couple USA distributors that without reservation share that they too have the same trouble getting element of urgency support as such attempt as able to satisfy the customer in house.

Having shared this; I too feel that the Ultimaker Team is far less connected to the end user, particularly when there is an issue than they want all to believe.

Edited by Shadowman
    Spelling
    • Like 2

4 hours ago, gr5 said:

You have to realise that after forking out over £6k for a 3D printer i would like the supplying company to value my custom and offer timely solutions to problems as they arise.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ScanHD said:

You have to realise that after forking out over £6k for a 3D printer i would like the supplying company to value my custom and offer timely solutions to problems as they arise.

Well stated 

Takes care 

Going to call my reseller AGAIN tomorrow.

I'm starting to really regret my purchase.

14 hours ago, gr5 said:

Even the reseller and the support guys don't get  any answer from Ultimaker.

They let their people in the dark.

19 minutes ago, cmeier38 said:

Even the reseller and the support guys don't get  any answer from Ultimaker.

They let their people in the dark.

Sadly; this remains my experience too with not only 2 authorized resellers but what is when worse; also the USA master distributor.

The common response after a protracted period of time is; Ultimaker still has not got back to us because they are at a trade show or ? presenting to potentially new clients to which my consistent reply is; “well the check has been cashed hence no element of urgency”. 

Additionally; I personally experienced the exact same thing on numerous occasions when I PM’d the Ultimaker Team within this forum too.

Disappointing to to say the least.

Edited by Shadowman
    Spelling

This post has to start with a strong disclaimer. What I will present below is a very dirty hack and to be considered extremely experimental. People who perform the described changes on the firmware 5.2.8 are doing this on their very own risk. I have just quickly tested this on an Ultimaker 3 and it worked for me but it might brick your printer.

As we know there is a bug in firmware 5.2.8 which makes the printer retract both filaments before starting a xy calibration such that it prints the first block out of thin air instead of plastics.

The logic behind this hack is to bring the (or some) firmware code in question back to what was e.g. in firmware 5.1.7 for the S5.

First, you have to login into your printer (people who know what they are doing know how).

Then you have to edit the file "generateXyTestPattern.py" in the folder "/usr/share/griffin/griffin/printer/procedures/wizard":

line 206: replace "strategy=1" with "strategy=0"

line 213: comment that line out

line 225: replace "strategy=1" with "strategy=0"

line 229: comment that line out

Then you must perform a factory reset so these changes become effective.

The printer then prints the calibration pattern correctly right from the start. However, the prime blobs it creates do not stick well to the glass and might be drawn around.

And in order to repeat: It's not recommended to do this for standard users but maybe for one or the other here who likes to hack and accepts the risk to brick the printer.

34 minutes ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

This post has to start with a strong disclaimer. What I will present below is a very dirty hack and to be considered extremely experimental. People who perform the described changes on the firmware 5.2.8 are doing this on their very own risk. I have just quickly tested this on an Ultimaker 3 and it worked for me but it might brick your printer.

As we know there is a bug in firmware 5.2.8 which makes the printer retract both filaments before starting a xy calibration such that it prints the first block out of thin air instead of plastics.

The logic behind this hack is to bring the (or some) firmware code in question back to what was e.g. in firmware 5.1.7 for the S5.

First, you have to login into your printer (people who know what they are doing know how).

Then you have to edit the file "generateXyTestPattern.py" in the folder "/usr/share/griffin/griffin/printer/procedures/wizard":

line 206: replace "strategy=1" with "strategy=0"

line 213: comment that line out

line 225: replace "strategy=1" with "strategy=0"

line 229: comment that line out

Then you must perform a factory reset so these changes become effective.

The printer then prints the calibration pattern correctly right from the start. However, the prime blobs it creates do not stick well to the glass and might be drawn around.

And in order to repeat: It's not recommended to do this for standard users but maybe for one or the other here who likes to hack and accepts the risk to brick the printer.

Good day

Your testing and possible path to resolution is appreciated however, considering Ultimaker the primary market of this printer being for businesses rather than hobbiest; the idea of assuming such risk not to mention having to do anything is ridiculous.

Thank you  

• Like 1

An easy work around for the XY-calibration starting to print without filament is to manually push the filament forward at the start of the print procedure. Annoying, yes, but luckily a procedure that has to be executed seldomly.

I'm in the same boat. Updated firmware a few days ago, and now I'm having WiFi issues. Glad I ordered a creality a few days ago that should arrive soon. Unbelievable that an Ender 3 could prove more reliable than the UM3E...

3 hours ago, stoopslife said:

Updated firmware a few days ago, and now I'm having WiFi issues.

I sometimes see that too on my UM3 with fw 5.2.8. But a factory reset seems to cure that problem.

46 minutes ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

I sometimes see that too on my UM3 with fw 5.2.8. But a factory reset seems to cure that problem.

I tried one factory reset to no avail. Will try a few more after the USB print finishes. Had the retraction issue when I printed from USB this time, as well.

Hi everyone, thank you for all your messages and our apologies for any inconvenience the latest firmware may have caused for you. It is important to know that we take your troubles very serious and are working hard on making a new version that would be safe for everyone to use. When it is ready it will be tested, and then tested again, and then we'll make sure you will hear about it as soon as possible. 

There have also been a few suggestions to take this latest firmware down. While it is undeniable that it has caused some issues for some of our users, the full percent of users plagued by them is not that high as what may seem so in this thread. Higher than usual, sure. But there are (luckily) more users who remain issue-free. This may not mean much to you when you do have issues, but I wanted to elaborate on why it was not pulled offline yet. 

Unfortunately, releasing a newer, tested and stable version will take a little bit longer than originally shared (referring to an earlier communicated timeline of one week). There are a few things we can do in the meantime. If the issues you are having are creating an unworkable situation, it is probably wise to install an older firmware version.

User @gr5 has shared instructions in this thread. While the instructions may not appear difficult for the experienced user, it can be a dangerous area to dive in if you've never done something like it before. You have to be ESD safe and there is risk of bricking your machine if you do it wrong. 

So if you are unsure, (or if you are sure you just do not want to do it yourself), we recommend getting in touch with your reseller. They definitely can install new firmware for you and return your Ultimaker to you. 

If you have an Ultimaker S5, unfortunately it is not possible to install new firmware yourself. Our sales partners can. Please get in touch with them if you prefer to have the previous firmware version installed. Since (almost) all Ultimaker S5s should still fall under warranty, there should be no additional costs. 

Some other tips that may have gone unnoticed:

- I read that a Cura connect reset and factory reset may fix one or two bugs

- If you are struggling with your XY calibration, make sure to manually push your filament in all the way before your print starts. The firmware retracts it too far which ruins your filament flow. 

- If I catch any more solutions, I will update this post accordingly. 

Again; our apologies for the inconvenience. Thank you @CarloK for the help you have been providing here. We're working on a solution and you'll all be the first to know when it is available. 

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update SandervG.

I have performed the X/Y calibration on both my 3 Extended and S5 printers, using the 'manual feed' method, and although it's a bit messy (you need to push at the right point, and not too hard...) it does eventually work. I look forward to a permanent fix.

One thing that does puzzle me however - why is it that the S5 didn't realise that there was no plastic flow during the calibration process? Wouldn't the flow sensor pick up that it was printing nothing?