Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable


Recommended Posts

Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Greetings! 

 

We’ve just released a new stable firmware for the Ultimaker S5 and the Ultimaker 3 (Extended). 

 

Use your Ultimaker printer with Ultimaker Cura 4.0 and an Ultimaker account, and you can make use of the remote ‘cloud’ printing feature. This lets you print from outside the realms of your local network with an Ultimaker 3 or Ultimaker S5 via your Ultimaker account. There are also some other features detailed in the blog.

 

remote-printing-configuration.jpg

 

This release also introduces unified firmware, which makes it easier for our embedded team to support releases for the Ultimaker 3 and Ultimaker S5 together. Because of this, the installation process is a little different this time around. First, install the ‘stepping stone firmware’. When this is installed, update your firmware again to get to the latest version. For our S5 beta testers, you will also need to follow this process.

 

Update instructions and release notes can be found here . 

 

When your printer is running firmware 5.2.8, you will be able to use the same .swu package for the UM3 and UMS5 to update firmware in future, reducing the risk of bricking your printer. 

 

Feel free to offer any feedback or comments in this thread.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone,     Thank you for all the time and energy you invest in sharing your messages here, trying to share your perspective with others. I like to think that this all comes from the sa

Since we only ever fill the threads with complaints and blames about bugs and errors, the positive should also be highlighted.   Bringing the firmware from UM3 to the same code base was cert

Hi everyone,   I'm also from Ultimaker, also not a firmware engineer but I've been busy trying to collect more information about this uncomfortable situation. If you have read through the pa

Posted Images

Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Updated successfully my UM3 and S5, without any problems.

 

But one minor issue on the UM3. The printer had a high-frequency buzzing noise after startup which was not there before. After a power off/on, the noise comes again when the printer has finished booting. So during the boot, there is nothing, when it is ready the buzzing noise is there again. I cannot locate the source of the sound, but it was interesting, that after turning the dial button the noise was gone. 

 

So for me, it is not an issue, I usually never turn off the printers, and if so, I just have to move the button a little bit to get rid of the sound. But I want to report it if you want to take a look into it.

 

 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

    Hi there,

     

    The new updates are nice, however I feel like I may have misunderstood something as I cant find these new cloud features, can I ask where they are?

    If I launch cura connect its the same as before but with extra print info tracking.
    I i press the "open ultimaker account" button, it takes me to a webpage where the only options are to log out, or enable two factor security.

    Where are these new features? The ultimaker app on my phone still wont let me access my printer from outside the local network, despite the fact it is now showing my phone in cura connect.
    "This lets you print from outside the realms of your local network with an Ultimaker 3 or Ultimaker S5 via your Ultimaker account. "
    If you could direct me to this, that would be great, mostly all Im looking for is to be able to view and cancel prints via phone.

    Edited by DrZebra
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

    Hi,

     

    I get the Information, that there is a new Firmware. So I had choose it and the Printer (UM3 E) will install it fine.

    But now, he will never Print from USB? All Files, which will Print perfectly with the Firmware before, will get

    the Information at start, that the Print will be finished in 0 h 0 min and 0 sec. The Printer will also don´t Print

    the files.

    What is wrong with it?

    What can I do to correct it? I only Print from USB.

    How can I roll back, if there is no Chance to corect it now? The Printer will only Show that the FW is the latest.

    A factory-Reset don´t helped. The Problem is the same as before the factory-reset...

     

    Hope, someone can help!

     

    With regards, Digibike

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
    1 hour ago, DrZebra said:

    Hi there,

     

    The new updates are nice, however I feel like I may have misunderstood something as I cant find these new cloud features, can I ask where they are?

    If I launch cura connect its the same as before but with extra print info tracking.
    I i press the "open ultimaker account" button, it takes me to a webpage where the only options are to log out, or enable two factor security.

    Where are these new features? The ultimaker app on my phone still wont let me access my printer from outside the local network, despite the fact it is now showing my phone in cura connect.
    "This lets you print from outside the realms of your local network with an Ultimaker 3 or Ultimaker S5 via your Ultimaker account. "
    If you could direct me to this, that would be great, mostly all Im looking for is to be able to view and cancel prints via phone.

     

    You can start the cloud connection flow from Cura Connect's settings page (http://IP_ADDRESS/settings). That'll guide you through the steps, eventually asking you to open op Cura for the final 'handshake'.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
    1 minute ago, ctbeke said:

     

    You can start the cloud connection flow from Cura Connect's settings page (http://IP_ADDRESS/settings). That'll guide you through the steps, eventually asking you to open op Cura for the final 'handshake'.

    Hi, Yes I did that and connected it all up but i that wasn't the problem.

    I think I get it now, the new cloud stuff is only if you have a second computer? At a different location to your first?
    I assumed it would be usable through the ultimaker app as that would be how most people would "access it from outside the network".

    If its only for use with a second computer etc then never mind, its not useful to me. May I request that this feature be added to the ultimaker app?
     

    Thanks

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
    22 minutes ago, Digibike said:

    Hi,

     

    I get the Information, that there is a new Firmware. So I had choose it and the Printer (UM3 E) will install it fine.

    But now, he will never Print from USB? All Files, which will Print perfectly with the Firmware before, will get

    the Information at start, that the Print will be finished in 0 h 0 min and 0 sec. The Printer will also don´t Print

    the files.

    What is wrong with it?

    What can I do to correct it? I only Print from USB.

    How can I roll back, if there is no Chance to corect it now? The Printer will only Show that the FW is the latest.

    A factory-Reset don´t helped. The Problem is the same as before the factory-reset...

     

    Hope, someone can help!

     

    With regards, Digibike

     

    Can you provide more details so that the problem can be understood better. To what version did you update, since this update is a special one, actually two updates are required.

    The first update is the stable 4.3.96, after installation it should show a newer version in the stable menu 5.2.8. 

    Then did you slice your models again with the latest Cura version or what version are you using? 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

    Has something changed in the gcode header? Maybe a new field which is now required and is missing from his "old" gcode?  I assume Digibike uses S3D so it could be the reason.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
    17 minutes ago, DrZebra said:

    Hi, Yes I did that and connected it all up but i that wasn't the problem.

    I think I get it now, the new cloud stuff is only if you have a second computer? At a different location to your first?
    I assumed it would be usable through the ultimaker app as that would be how most people would "access it from outside the network".

    If its only for use with a second computer etc then never mind, its not useful to me. May I request that this feature be added to the ultimaker app?
     

    Thanks

     

    That's unfortunate. At the moment remote printing is only supported by Cura indeed, so either on a 2nd desktop or a laptop that you take somewhere else. I can't go into details here but we'll be adding a lot more features in the (near) future, this is just the basis for having a cloud connection at all.

    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

    Since we only ever fill the threads with complaints and blames about bugs and errors, the positive should also be highlighted.

     

    Bringing the firmware from UM3 to the same code base was certainly not easy. And it was even more difficult to ensure a smooth update process without bricking the UM3.

     

    Therefore I would like to thank all developers and testers for their work! 👍 👏

    Please keep up the good work. 

    • Like 2
    • Thanks 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

    Yes, I use Simplify3d. Is there anything, what is changed in the Sliced-Files, so that I can Change the Simplify Header, so that it will be compatible with the new Firmware?

     

    With regards, Digibike

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

    It was just a guess, I don't know if this is really the root cause for your problem. But install Cura 4.0 and slice a file, then compare the header, it is for sure the quickest way to check it.

     

    On the other hand, if there was really a change, then updated printers would also not print gcodes from Cura 3.x, so maybe I am wrong with the header.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

    t is the same for me, after the update no s3d files can be printed anymore

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

    Please make a test with a Cura sliced file, I am just guessing.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

    With cura it will work, but what i found is the "crazy" Homeing! The last stable before, it will go to the switch-Position and

    stop there. Now he will go to the Positon and some mm back and than to the switch-Position. I wondered About this - what will it make? The switches are more loaded with this...

    Now I must check, what is different to it. @Smithy. has you an old Gcode before the FW-Update, which can you divide with me?

    So i can compare, what is different with the Version 4 and new FW to Version 3.x and the last FW before and my Simplify3d-Header...

    It will help me to found, what has changed with the Cura-Versions before and after the big FW-realase and what I must Change on Simplify so that I can Use it with the new FW...

     

    with regards, Digibike

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
    10 minutes ago, Digibike said:

    @Smithy. has you an old Gcode before the FW-Update, which can you divide with me?

    Sure, here we go....

     

    UM3_C-15.gcode

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

    Wow! Thanks! It will help - I hope so!

     

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

    Am I just dense? Where is the setting to turn off the frame lights?

    -edit-

    Yep... I was two updates behind. On 5.2 and the lights finally turn off. I'm so happy.

    Edited by Rainbowdashboard
    I'm dumb
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

    My Ultimaker 3 just asked me to upgrade the firmware and I did.

    5.2.8.20190320

    Since upgrading, it levels the bed, but then lowers the bed and prints in the air. I tried a factory reset, manual bed levelling, and upgraded Cura to the 4.0 download, all the same.

     

    Help! my UM3 is worthless now!

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
    7 hours ago, Rainbowdashboard said:

    Am I just dense? Where is the setting to turn off the frame lights?

    I am currently not in front of my printer, but it is the same setting as before, but now the lights are completely off and not just dimmed.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
    7 hours ago, kevin-osborn said:

    Since upgrading, it levels the bed, but then lowers the bed and prints in the air.

    Do you use the z-offset plugin?

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
    5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

    I am currently not in front of my printer, but it is the same setting as before, but now the lights are completely off and not just dimmed.

     

    Its under system/frame light/...

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

    i have an error. 

     

    "the firmware failed to verify, please retry installation"

     

    any help?

    *and yes i have retried!

    Edited by ScanHD
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

    Roughly how long does the update take? Got an S5 updating over the network and it's been going for almost 2hrs now. 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
    1 hour ago, ScanHD said:

    i have an error. 

     

    "the firmware failed to verify, please retry installation"

     

    any help?

    *and yes i have retried!

     

    Can you tell me the printer type and if this happens on the first update or the second and if you are updating from the internet or USB. 

    Cannot verify means there is a corruption in the downloaded files and it cannot verify it's signature, you can try to reboot and try again or try updating over USB as suggested in the first post. 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Our picks

      • Ultimaker Transformation Summit

        On April 20 - April 23 we will host the Ultimaker Transformation Summit. Come talk to us via Live chat and get inspired by any of our relevant presentations!
        • 5 replies
      • New here? Register your Ultimaker for free 3D printer onboarding course
        Hi,
         
        Often getting started is the most difficult part of any process. A good start sets you up for success and saves you time and energy that could be spent elsewhere. That is why we have a onboarding course ready for
        Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, Ultimaker S5, Ultimaker S3 Ultimaker 2+ Connect.   
        They're ready for you on the Ultimaker Academy platform. All you need to do to gain access is to register your product to gain free access. 
        Ready? Register your product here in just 60 seconds.
          • Like
        • 0 replies
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...