Jump to content
maht

Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Recommended Posts

Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
On 4/22/2019 at 11:35 PM, kfsone said:

What I don't get is why this problem isn't generally solved in 3d printing using a simple obstruction sensor? Hang an emitter and a receiver from the same axis the print core is from until you sense the bed interrupting the bottom of the receiver?


image.thumb.png.6240afb005a928d84d3ca695917d0ea3.png

The sensors/emitters can probably be bought off the shelf  and you just send the output to the extant board, with the mounting parts, probably sell for $50-150, and voila customers have a way to obtain factory-fresh perfect auto leveling in a single pass.

Or for $250-$350 you could put strips along the sides of the bed up by the home position: in a single scan you can do both leveling and obstruction checking -- you can confirm that nothing is in the way of the current layer and, at the end of the layer, after moving the head, that the print hasn't failed to adhere. You could even check for droop, etc, by checking that end-of-layer occlusion matches expectations...

 

1

Getting an obstruction sensor in a single line with that tolerance? You're lucky to get that for below a few hundred $ in parts alone. A line scanner of that quality is about 7k ish.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
16 hours ago, nallath said:

Getting an obstruction sensor in a single line with that tolerance? You're lucky to get that for below a few hundred $ in parts alone. A line scanner of that quality is about 7k ish. 


yeah, one message from Ultimaker Team !

uuhhh... it's a comment on off topic  "futuristic printer evolutions" but nothing about the actual current firmware issue and resolution progress status...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
2 minutes ago, Matioupi said:


yeah, one message from Ultimaker Team !

uuhhh... it's a comment on off topic  "futuristic printer evolutions" but nothing about the actual current firmware issue and resolution progress status...

Because I'm not a firmware engineer. So yeah, I reply to things I know something about. Which in this case was scanning & sensors. Or would you rather have me not reply at all or give you false / incorrect information? If you want a nice white lie, I'm more than happy to give it, but I assumed that this is not what you guys want / need.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
1 hour ago, nallath said:

Because I'm not a firmware engineer. So yeah, I reply to things I know something about. Which in this case was scanning & sensors. Or would you rather have me not reply at all or give you false / incorrect information? If you want a nice white lie, I'm more than happy to give it, but I assumed that this is not what you guys want / need.

 

you work for ultimaker?....

 

I find it hard to understand how you can be so facetious and sarcastic to your customers. Customers who you "as a company" have already alienated.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

There are 400+ people working for Ultimaker. There is no way that everyone can know what is happening at any given moment. So yeah, I do work for Ultimaker, but that doesn't mean that I can give answers about everything that's going on at any given moment.

 

I understand that people are frustrated about it, but there is also no need to start lashing out at anyone working for UM that is responding to things in this topic. I'm trying to help in what limited way I can. Not because I have to (because hey, it's not my job), but because I feel that it's important to do so. Let's turn it around a bit; I'm seeing a lot of frustrated people. But due to me not working on the right project, there is little I can do about it. What I can do is respond at some of the other remarks that were being made. Upon doing so I suddenly get attack for doing that. What kind of message do you think that gives off? If that happened to you, would you feel that it matters that you're trying to help? I doubt it.


So yeah. I do respond a bit cranky if my genuine attempts to at least do something get annoyed responses. It frustrates me that what little I can do about this issue isn't going to fix it. I also get that your frustration is even worse because there is even less that you guys can do about the problem and for that, I'm really sorry.

There just is no more information than "We're working on it as best we can". I know that's not a satisfactory answer because quite often this is used as a "shut up and leave us alone" response to get people to stop complaining. But it's the best answer I can give because it's the truth. We are working on it, it is something that a lot of people (myself included, even though it isn't my problem) feel strongly / responsible about.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Hi everyone,

 

I'm also from Ultimaker, also not a firmware engineer but I've been busy trying to collect more information about this uncomfortable situation. If you have read through the past 9 or 10 pages you should know we're very much aware of the issues and are working on a fix. In a previous message I explained that the worst thing we could do now is release a fix for the existing firmware which contained other bugs or does not fix what it should. That is why we're thoroughly testing the new version and it takes longer than any of us wants. The outcome should be a version that we can all trust and reliably use. We're working hard to make that real.

 

A previous version we built and tested did not pass our testing entirely so we choose not to release it. We're almost ready to test a newer build version which, if all goes well, we should be able to release rather sooner than later. But first, it needs to be tested as well. No one would benefit from any unnecessary delays and we also want everyone to get back to reliable and satisfactory 3D printing as soon as possible. So as Nallath says, 'We're working on it as best we can'. Hopefully, with a little bit of patience, we'll have a new version out soon. If there are any relevant updates, I'll share with you via this thread. Thank you for your time and patience so far, it is deeply appreciated. And our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

@SandervG will that new version be made available as testing version? It might improve bug finding efficiency.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
2 minutes ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

@SandervG will that new version be made available as testing version? It might improve bug finding efficiency.

No it won't. As we have learned rolling back is not always easy, users may install it not knowing it is a testing version, or worst case scenario.. what if it would actually break something. We wouldn't want to risk that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
1 minute ago, SandervG said:

No it won't. As we have learned rolling back is not always easy, users may install it not knowing it is a testing version, or worst case scenario.. what if it would actually break something. We wouldn't want to risk that.  

 

Then testing versions are generally unlikely to happen in future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
10 minutes ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

 

Then testing versions are generally unlikely to happen in future?

For firmware? Maybe occasionally depending on a specific situation, but don't expect any periodic testing versions no. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

My thoughts and opinions.

 

I appreciate the comments and guidance as shared by Nallath and SandervG as it is within the scope of their ability. I accept their limitations and respect the fact that they still engage. I imagine at times it is very awkward.

 

Nallath has always responded quickly offering sound advice. Because I view this forum on my mobile device I did not know he was an employee of Ultimaker.

 

SandervG typically presents the new widgets, software, and products; Ultimaker’s consumer marketing person and he also carries the issues back to the core Ultimaker Team for review and corrective measures and yet I have come to accept the fact that his empowerment is minimal at best:

 

What is obvious to me and many others is just how disjointed the Ultimaker Team is. There is always an unknown and unapproachable person(s) lurking behind the scene that has all the answers leaving folks such as Nallath and SandervG to address and fend off as able; often a series of delays likely in the hopes that with tomorrow will come the answers.

 

In any other portion of this industry Ultimaker’s practices would be far beyond unacceptable and likely a death nail to the business. I think because 3D printing is only recently migrating from the core hobbiest market to the plug and play business market a level of tolerance is being evidenced however, this will not last as there are many 3D printer manufactures that want a significant piece of this customer base. And frankly; the way Ultimaker is dealing with issues has opened the door for others IMO on a grand scale.

 

Regularly folks such as myself are told to contact their distributors; this is laughable as they too remain in the dark feeling bad not knowing what to do. Discretely I have been told by them that Ultimaker’s after the sale practices have jeopardized their core business as such regularly recommend other 3D printers.

 

Take the present situation as a simple example; are warranty extensions being offered; frankly the warranty is a marginal joke because there are no field service technicians in place such as used by Dell, HP, etc.; in any case; the answer is “no”. Has Ultimaker offered prepaid shipping back to them for serving the issues; “no” but rather independently folks have shared within this forum how one can disassemble and repair their printer at their own risk; a crash course on how to be a 3D printer technician; sad. Have replacement printers been offered; “no.”.

 

This situation has been repeated several times since I bought into the Ultimaker program and I don’t see it as getting better but rather simply more of the same.

 

If I had purchased a new car I would be given a loaner, if I had purchased a Dell product I would have been visited by a field technician, if I had purchased an Apple product it would have been replaced, and yet with Ultimaker we get avoided as if to be told; to bad ... you should feel blessed to have our product and we will get you back online when able. When able is unacceptable.

 

Lastly; Smithy told another user with an issue to defer to the distributor as this was not an official medium to present and resolve issues. I beg to differ; this is Ultimaker’s forum, run by Ultimaker, and this is one of the tools that Ultimaker and the distributors direct their customers to for assistance and and support.

 

IMO; this forum is used by Ultimaker more as a shield from when compared to a portal to and for their customers.

 

So in my short time with Ultimaker I have been told;

 

1. You won’t receive the custom developed aluminum build plate that you paid for; this is a beyond bold position for Ultimaker to take.

 

2. Been severely bitten in the ass with Cura updates.

 

3. Been severely bitten in the ass with firmware updates.

 

4. Do not have the ability to allocate the printers via static IP as promised last year.

 

5. My filament sensor is turned off at Ultimaker’s suggestion because of its inconsistent operation and still no resolution as was promised long ago.

 

So; how do I really feel?

 

I feel that Ultimaker has the ability and desire to present a quality product that could capture a measurable percentage of the ever growing 3D printer marketplace however, at the present rate with their cavalier pert near condescending approach I see other 3D printer companies sailing past Ultimaker with far better products supported by a true; “we care” support attitude when compared to Ultimaker’s proverbial lip service.

 

How the Ultimaker Team can do as they have done and are doing is mind blowing. I have been involved with many startup companies over the past 40 years and Ultimaker’s actions as well as lack there of are an example of what no company should do and expect to survive.

 

In closing; I made a comment earlier about how Ultimaker has successfully used third parties venues to promote the Ultimaker product such as distributors, the media, social venues, magazine reviews, trade shows, etc. throughout the world. I also suggested at that time that it maybe time to go back to those that helped Ultimaker solicit their product with their great reviews; reviews that in turn helped convince me and others to purchase the Ultimaker products and share with them what the real life experience with an Ultimaker product is like. 

 

To all of you that continue to relentlessly assist as able within this forum; I thank you.

 

And for those of you within the Ultimaker Team that are hiding in the shadows I say; get it together and quickly because if this is a reflection of the company Ultimaker is and plans to continue to be then you will become “the” example of what not to do and will be used by many other 3D companies to help them promote their products.

 

Takes care 

 

Edited by Shadowman
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

As promised from my side, but nothing new for you here anymore, I got confirmed by a trustable source via mail, that you got heard already and people are trying to fix your problems asap.

 

First of all, before I continue on some statements here, I have to say that I'm pretty much disappointed by the exposure done on the Ultimaker team by some people in this thread. I think the correct place to let someone know of your disappointment is not a public place like this. I could continue investing more of my energy into telling what I think (will do this later), but I want to make it short by saying:

This way of blaming the whole company in public next to other community members, hobbyists and end users from the industry, is neither fair nor professional at all!

Yes, you can be frustrated and you might be correct in many of your points, but are you really sure that it would have been better with a different manufacturer?

Nevertheless, even if you thank the community for their help, blaming on Ultimaker makes me personally feel really bad. I'm really limited in time every day, but reading all the messages here made me getting active on this. Wanted to prevent this situation and wanted to calm you all down, but see that I missed my goal on some people here.

 

Generally, have the opinion that many of you misunderstood the purpose of the forums.

Resellers are responsible for local services and satisfaction. The forums are for announcements and a place created by Ultimaker for 3D printing enthusiasts to share their designs, problems and solutions. Yes, it is a place for support, but not too much on industrial level. Before something gets considered as a solution by Ultimaker it must be tested before (which should correspond with your industrial thinking, because a bad solution is like having no solution). Additionally, backward compatibility is never guaranteed to work since it is never (and probably will never be) tested (logically - since testing and doing downgrades now, would eat valuable time of an engineer to fix the actual problem).

 

As I said before, what counts at the moment, is that a solution will be found soon. I'm sure Ultimaker as a company learned a lesson from that.

(I'm allowed the say the following since I'm neither employed by Ultimaker nor making money with neither Ultimaker nor someone else right now.) Please, take some of your time, find a quiet and enjoyable place and think about how you communicate here.

I know from my experiences with industrial (incl. automotive) companies that life can be stressing, but that's no excuse to be like this.

Getting no answer from someone in time doesn't necessarily mean that someone is lazy and not doing her/his best to come back with a (real!) solution.

 

Everyone who knows me can tell for sure that I could continue at this point and end up in a book. In any case, I'm convinced of Ultimaker products and trust their work!

 

Thanks

 - Thomas Karl Pietrowski

Edited by thopiekar
Formatting
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

The main problem is that we are experiencing no 3D printing for almost one month because of a non tested firmware. We paid five times the price of a relieable 3D printer without getting any feedback on how to fix the bugs except unmounting the whole printer (which kills the warranty). And now we should be thankful to the busy engineers who tell us to be patient although we are patiently waiting for a reliable long-awaited solution. Anyway ultimaker workers are not responsible for the situation. I am quite thankful to the these engineers who joined the forum. I personnally blame the Ultimaker leaders for the mess they created with their lack of communication. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
2 hours ago, thopiekar said:

As promised from my side, but nothing new for you here anymore, I got confirmed by a trustable source via mail, that you got heard already and people are trying to fix your problems asap.

 

First of all, before I continue on some statements here, I have to say that I'm pretty much disappointed by the exposure done on the Ultimaker team by some people in this thread. I think the correct place to let someone know of your disappointment is not a public place like this. I could continue investing more of my energy into telling what I think (will do this later), but I want to make it short by saying:

This way of blaming the whole company in public next to other community members, hobbyists and end users from the industry, is neither fair nor professional at all!

Yes, you can be frustrated and you might be correct in many of your points, but are you really sure that it would have been better with a different manufacturer?

Nevertheless, even if you thank the community for their help, blaming on Ultimaker makes me personally feel really bad. I'm really limited in time every day, but reading all the messages here made me getting active on this. Wanted to prevent this situation and wanted to calm you all down, but see that I missed my goal on some people here.

 

Generally, have the opinion that many of you misunderstood the purpose of the forums.

Resellers are responsible for local services and satisfaction. The forums are for announcements and a place created by Ultimaker for 3D printing enthusiasts to share their designs, problems and solutions. Yes, it is a place for support, but not too much on industrial level. Before something gets considered as a solution by Ultimaker it must be tested before (which should correspond with your industrial thinking, because a bad solution is like having no solution). Additionally, backward compatibility is never guaranteed to work since it is never (and probably will never be) tested (logically - since testing and doing downgrades now, would eat valuable time of an engineer to fix the actual problem).

 

As I said before, what counts at the moment, is that a solution will be found soon. I'm sure Ultimaker as a company learned a lesson from that.

(I'm allowed the say the following since I'm neither employed by Ultimaker nor making money with neither Ultimaker nor someone else right now.) Please, take some of your time, find a quiet and enjoyable place and think about how you communicate here.

I know from my experiences with industrial (incl. automotive) companies that life can be stressing, but that's no excuse to be like this.

Getting no answer from someone in time doesn't necessarily mean that someone is lazy and not doing her/his best to come back with a (real!) solution.

 

Everyone who knows me can tell for sure that I could continue at this point and end up in a book. In any case, I'm convinced of Ultimaker products and trust their work!

 

Thanks

 - Thomas Karl Pietrowski

Mr. Pietroeski

 

I read your letter twice and as you stated at the end, “I could end up in a book”; let me be very clear about a few things beginning with the most significant.

 

If I “did not” care “nor” feel that the Ultimaker product has the makings of a quality product then I would not spend my time conveying my thoughts, as well as the thoughts of those shared with me by others. I too could write a book and as long as my musings are some could consider that I am doing so; one page at a time.

 

The Ultimaker Team; yes the team, need to take the situation seriously and openly

and genuinely convey that they do to those that are being affected and expected to tolerate the situation; anything less brings doubt to the validity of their commitment to those that support their product line. This includes but is not limited to; the end users, the distributors, the media, etc.. 

 

You reference that sharing as shared in a public forum may not be appropriate that it should be fine privately. At the onset I may have agreed with you however, with the issues and time that has passed I think that publicly sharing maybe the only way to truly get Ultimaker’s attention. 

 

The typical pathway ie, distributors, Ultimaker USA, and this forum do not work; distributors make clear that they too remain in the dark, Ultimaker USA share that they too are waiting for answers often followed by; have you asked on the forum. Speaking of this forum, this is the communication vessel that Ultimaker put into place not some random forum and the vessel that all parties associated with the marketing of the Ultimaker product refer to.  Hence one of my earlier comments; the Ultimaker Team is very aware but not properly engaging.

 

As with many others; I did not agree to purchase a project under development but rather a fully developed ready to use  business class 3D printer for my business. I am not an investor, not a beta tester, and not a hobbiest; I have no skin in the Ultimaker program except for the fact that I believed in hence invested in a Ultimaker tool for my trade; a tool that albeit paid for does not operate as promised nor was it presented as promised; these facts along based on your letter should be very easy to understand.

 

Yes, I remain truly appreciative of those that do engage even though they often don’t have the answers and yes; I too feel bad for those within the Ultimaker Team that care and try but are being held back by policies within Ultimaker.

 

The bottom line; the Ultimaker Team need to engage and be part of the process that they expect all to endure and not remain in the shadows.

 

Thank you for your comments as shared.

Edited by Shadowman
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
16 hours ago, Shadowman said:

My thoughts and opinions.

 

I appreciate the comments and guidance as shared by Nallath and SandervG as it is within the scope of their ability. I accept their limitations and respect the fact that they still engage. I imagine at times it is very awkward.

 

Nallath has always responded quickly offering sound advice. Because I view this forum on my mobile device I did not know he was an employee of Ultimaker.

 

SandervG typically presents the new widgets, software, and products; Ultimaker’s consumer marketing person and he also carries the issues back to the core Ultimaker Team for review and corrective measures and yet I have come to accept the fact that his empowerment is minimal at best:

 

What is obvious to me and many others is just how disjointed the Ultimaker Team is. There is always an unknown and unapproachable person(s) lurking behind the scene that has all the answers leaving folks such as Nallath and SandervG to address and fend off as able; often a series of delays likely in the hopes that with tomorrow will come the answers.

 

In any other portion of this industry Ultimaker’s practices would be far beyond unacceptable and likely a death nail to the business. I think because 3D printing is only recently migrating from the core hobbiest market to the plug and play business market a level of tolerance is being evidenced however, this will not last as there are many 3D printer manufactures that want a significant piece of this customer base. And frankly; the way Ultimaker is dealing with issues has opened the door for others IMO on a grand scale.

 

Regularly folks such as myself are told to contact their distributors; this is laughable as they too remain in the dark feeling bad not knowing what to do. Discretely I have been told by them that Ultimaker’s after the sale practices have jeopardized their core business as such regularly recommend other 3D printers.

 

Take the present situation as a simple example; are warranty extensions being offered; frankly the warranty is a marginal joke because there are no field service technicians in place such as used by Dell, HP, etc.; in any case; the answer is “no”. Has Ultimaker offered prepaid shipping back to them for serving the issues; “no” but rather independently folks have shared within this forum how one can disassemble and repair their printer at their own risk; a crash course on how to be a 3D printer technician; sad. Have replacement printers been offered; “no.”.

 

This situation has been repeated several times since I bought into the Ultimaker program and I don’t see it as getting better but rather simply more of the same.

 

If I had purchased a new car I would be given a loaner, if I had purchased a Dell product I would have been visited by a field technician, if I had purchased an Apple product it would have been replaced, and yet with Ultimaker we get avoided as if to be told; to bad ... you should feel blessed to have our product and we will get you back online when able. When able is unacceptable.

 

Lastly; Smithy told another user with an issue to defer to the distributor as this was not an official medium to present and resolve issues. I beg to differ; this is Ultimaker’s forum, run by Ultimaker, and this is one of the tools that Ultimaker and the distributors direct their customers to for assistance and and support.

 

IMO; this forum is used by Ultimaker more as a shield from when compared to a portal to and for their customers.

 

So in my short time with Ultimaker I have been told;

 

1. You won’t receive the custom developed aluminum build plate that you paid for; this is a beyond bold position for Ultimaker to take.

 

2. Been severely bitten in the ass with Cura updates.

 

3. Been severely bitten in the ass with firmware updates.

 

4. Do not have the ability to allocate the printers via static IP as promised last year. 

 

5. My filament sensor is turned off at Ultimaker’s suggestion because of its inconsistent operation and still no resolution as was promised long ago.

 

So; how do I really feel?

 

I feel that Ultimaker has the ability and desire to present a quality product that could capture a measurable percentage of the ever growing 3D printer marketplace however, at the present rate with their cavalier pert near condescending approach I see other 3D printer companies sailing past Ultimaker with far better products supported by a true; “we care” support attitude when compared to Ultimaker’s proverbial lip service.

 

How the Ultimaker Team can do as they have done and are doing is mind blowing. I have been involved with many startup companies over the past 40 years and Ultimaker’s actions as well as lack there of are an example of what no company should do and expect to survive.

 

In closing; I made a comment earlier about how Ultimaker has successfully used third parties venues to promote the Ultimaker product such as distributors, the media, social venues, magazine reviews, trade shows, etc. throughout the world. I also suggested at that time that it maybe time to go back to those that helped Ultimaker solicit their product with their great reviews; reviews that in turn helped convince me and others to purchase the Ultimaker products and share with them what the real life experience with an Ultimaker product is like. 

 

To all of you that continue to relentlessly assist as able within this forum; I thank you.

 

And for those of you within the Ultimaker Team that are hiding in the shadows I say; get it together and quickly because if this is a reflection of the company Ultimaker is and plans to continue to be then you will become “the” example of what not to do and will be used by many other 3D companies to help them promote their products.

 

Takes care 

 

15


Again; Ultimaker has 400 employees. There is no hidden conspiracy that "holds me back". It's simply that there is not enough time in a day, even if I'd work 16 hours, to keep track of all the things that are going on. So could you pretty, pretty please stop pretending like this is some nefarious thing that is going on (or that is the cause of incompetence). Because it's not. You keep saying that you're doing this to help, but it's doing the exact opposite. To be honest, I don't really believe that you're trying to help. Because it's not the first time I've called you out on this and told you that it's doing the exact opposite.

 

A fair part of what you say is simply not true. There are no distributors of Ultimaker in the US. We have resellers, but that's it. So I'm really wondering who you talked. I know for a fact that delays and releases are always communicated with resellers.

 

But to take some more specific points; 

1. You got compensated for this with something of greater value. Also, would you rather have had something that didn't work? Because if that's the case, I'm more than happy to send you the aluminum plate. I'll pay for the shipping myself, but then I don't want to hear you complain about it anymore (Either you not getting it or it not working at all).
2. These issues were fixed within 2 (!!) months. Good luck getting any of that in any other industry. And don't say stupid things like "But it would neve have happened there", because that's a lie and you know it. This can happen everywhere, what matters is how you deal with it. 
3. Which firmware updates bit you in the ass? This is the first one right?
4. Promised where exactly? I'm not aware of any such promise. 5. I've not seen any issues with the filament sensor so far. I've got it turned on and working fine. If you look at the forum, you're pretty much the only one with the issue. Now I do get that this sucks (especially with everything combined) but this kinda seems like a fluke.
"Has Ultimaker offered prepaid shipping back to them for serving the issues" -> Nonsense. This is something we offer. Because ya know. It's the law.
" if I had purchased an Apple product it would have been replaced" -> Same goes for Ultimaker. This is the primary responsibility of the reseller to do this. I understand why they don't want to because it costs them money, but that's what they are paid for. I'm getting the idea that your reseller is putting all the blame with Ultimaker ("Because they entrusted to you that they recommend other printers") whereas the blame is with them.
" there are no field service technicians in place such" -> Again not true. All the resellers get mandatory training with regards to repair.


So, you want to continue "fighting" this out in public? Because I'm more than able to show you that it's not as you describe it by a long shot.

Edited by nallath
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Hi everyone,  

 

Thank you for all the time and energy you invest in sharing your messages here, trying to share your perspective with others. I like to think that this all comes from the same place; because we care, because we believe in Ultimaker and because we feel frustrated with the existing situation. This can be read in between the lines of several of the recent messages. 

 

Let's not allow this care or frustration to turn our efforts where we try and help each other into a scenario where we are opposite of each other, head to head. From day one Ultimaker has been aware of the bugs introduced by this firmware and after carefully collecting feedback of the exact size and impacts of these bugs our firmware team has been working on a fix. 

I would be lying if I said it was not taking long, that is painfully true. But merely the metric of time does not imply nothing is being done. Quite the opposite, we do not permit ourselves anything less than a reliable and useful release of new firmware, which takes time to build and test.

 

As I stated previously in one of my messages in this thread; if you have an Ultimaker S5, our sales partner in your local region should be able to roll back to the previous firmware version. The Ultimaker would need to be shipped, but shipping should be covered by warranty. To be sure, check with your reseller in your region. 

I would only recommend to do this if the issues you're dealing with leave you in an unworkable situation, otherwise, I would recommend to have a little bit more patience until the new firmware is released. 

For an Ultimaker 3, instructions are shared in an earlier message how you can roll back firmware yourself. You can read the instructions before executing this operation to determine if this looks like something you are capable of doing. If not, I would also not recommend going down this path.

 

We know, the only real good solution would obviously be new firmware. This is being worked on.

 

Now as a final note, this is a thread where we try to help each other with firmware issues. We help to see if any logged issues can be solved by a temporary workaround and by sharing updates about firmware developments. I urge everyone to stay on topic. Off topic posts will be moderated.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Could i please get a back to basics statement as to the status with S5 firmware and the issues etc, i am about to order an S5 and once it arrives would like to know the best course of action.

 

1. If it does not already have 5.2 installed, do not perform the upgrade ?

2. If it does have 5.2 installed i cannot roll back myself, but what exactly does not work in this firmware ?, is the issue that only single extruder printing works ?, i know the z offset doesn't work in 5.2, assume it works in previous versions, or did it never work on the S5 ?

3. Z offset is very useful, is UM planning to correct this (i believe the G92 command not being supported) on the fixed version of 5.2 ?

 

As @SandervG has said this has started to move off topic, could for the likes of myself, we get a simple statement of what does and doesn't work on 5.2

 

I am sure UM are working hard on this, I work in software and know all too well that bugs do get through and often the correct solution is not the quickest from a customer perspective.... i am sure an update will come as quickly as it can.

 

Many thanks

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Hi @Link, thank you for your post. Good that you are investigating your purchase and checking out our community of 3D printing experts! 

1: Only the XY calibration bug is found persistently through all firmware installs. While annoying, there is a workaround where you can manually push the filament in when it retracts too far. And while there are many users who don't suffer from any issues I would probably recommend to wait until the new firmware is available. You may be safe, but you may enjoy the peace of mind of working with a confirmed stable firmware version more. 

 

2: Before your Ultimaker S5 is being shipped, you could ask if your reseller can verify which firmware is installed. You could ask if the reseller would be willing to roll back to the previous firmware while it hasn't shipped yet. 

 

Known bugs: XY calibration (retracts too much), connectivity to wifi can suffer, rotated/shifted screens and it can get stuck on 'print finished' but this seems mostly the case for some UM3's. There are some reported issues with Z offset, but unless my memory fails me that also related to Ultimaker 3's because of some improvements to the active leveling algorithm, which was unchanged for the Ultimaker S5. Hope this helps! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
2 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Hi @Link, thank you for your post. Good that you are investigating your purchase and checking out our community of 3D printing experts! 

1: Only the XY calibration bug is found persistently through all firmware installs. While annoying, there is a workaround where you can manually push the filament in when it retracts too far. And while there are many users who don't suffer from any issues I would probably recommend to wait until the new firmware is available. You may be safe, but you may enjoy the peace of mind of working with a confirmed stable firmware version more. 

 

2: Before your Ultimaker S5 is being shipped, you could ask if your reseller can verify which firmware is installed. You could ask if the reseller would be willing to roll back to the previous firmware while it hasn't shipped yet. 

 

Known bugs: XY calibration (retracts too much), connectivity to wifi can suffer, rotated/shifted screens and it can get stuck on 'print finished' but this seems mostly the case for some UM3's. There are some reported issues with Z offset, but unless my memory fails me that also related to Ultimaker 3's because of some improvements to the active leveling algorithm, which was unchanged for the Ultimaker S5. Hope this helps! 

 

 

 

Thats very useful, many thanks.

 

I will speak to the reseller and see if they can check the firmware, failing that i think i can live with those bugs whilst you guys get things sorted and use the work arounds temporarily. FYI - I am still very much looking forward to getting my S5, the 2+ has been amazing and I am sure the S5 will be the same (present teething troubles accepted)

 

Cheers

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Moderator comment: Removed due to being off topic. User has been notified. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
On 3/25/2019 at 7:26 AM, piphil said:

Not sure if this is the place for bugs, but if it is...

 

Both my Ultimaker S5 and 3 Extended are having trouble running the X/Y calibration. It looks like the head aren't priming properly before printing the calibration pattern - see attached image.

 

Both have only displayed the issue after the recent firmware update.

IMG_20190325_110455.jpg

 

This is the exact same problem I am having after updating to 5.2.8.  It looks just like this

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

A quick workaround for this procedure is to manually feed in the filament at the start of the print. This will be fixed in our next release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
On 4/30/2019 at 11:41 PM, Brolman said:

The main problem is that we are experiencing no 3D printing for almost one month because of a non tested firmware. We paid five times the price of a relieable 3D printer without getting any feedback on how to fix the bugs except unmounting the whole printer (which kills the warranty). And now we should be thankful to the busy engineers who tell us to be patient although we are patiently waiting for a reliable long-awaited solution. Anyway ultimaker workers are not responsible for the situation. I am quite thankful to the these engineers who joined the forum. I personnally blame the Ultimaker leaders for the mess they created with their lack of communication. 

Hi Brolman, 

Can you please elaborate more on why you are experiencing no 3D printing? We would be happy to help you if you encountering any blocking issues.

 

Of course, we are aware of its issues and experiencing many of the issues you guys have reported here. We too, as users of ultimaker products use the workarounds which we have already communicated.

 

@Link  - With regards to the XY calibration - we are fortunate that our printers do not require this procedure often. Part of our QC before dispatching a printer for sale is that the printer MUST be tested with a dual print. You will receive the test print within the box. Therefore, the XY calibration has been done before shipping and you should receive a printer which has its print cores calibrated. If you require changing of cores straight away then the XY calibration should be done - but the workaround of manually pushing the filament through to the nozzle before the filament deposition starts will solve your issue. What this also means is, that current printers being shipped out with the old stable (5.1.8) firmware. 

 

The updated hotfix firmware is in active development and you will be alerted of the release date as we know more. I can understand the frustration that it has taken this long, but as Sander said this hotfix is there to fix many problems. Our earlier communication did not take into account how our Firmware team would like to build the next version. It is always a balancing act of building the thing right, building the right thing, and building it fast. Our hotfix has been decided to fix all known issues, which takes time.

 

More on the release date will follow.

Edited by Szahari
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Hej. Jeg har prøvet siden opdatering 5.8.2 og cura 4.0 kom ud. Prøv at logge ind på min printer fra hjemmet. uden holdt. min printer står på mit job. og køre med fast IP. Jeg har logget ind for at cura connect og start Connect to cloud. men when I try to log on my S5 at home, I can not even find it even though I log in to my cura-user. Hope you can help, so I would be able to stop printing from home and do not have to go to work if something happens during printing

 

Lasse

Danmark 

work computer.png

home computer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Hey. I have tried since update 5.8.2 and cura 4.0 came out. Try logging into my printer from home. unsuccessfully. my printer stand on my job. and run with fixed IP. I have logged in to cura connect and start Connect to cloud. but when I try and log on to my S5 there at home I can not even find it even though I log on to my cura user. hope you  can help. as i would be able to stop printing from home and not have to go to work if something happens during print

 

Lasse

Danmark

work computer.png

home computer.png

Edited by Flyver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
      Ultimaker Cura 4.0 is mainly focused on the improved user interface and cloud integration.
      As always, we want to collect your user feedback for this release. If there are any improvements you can think of, feel free to mention it here and help us to shape the next release.
      • 96 replies
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!