Jump to content
maht

Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Recommended Posts

Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
2 hours ago, Flyver said:

Hej. Jeg har prøvet siden opdatering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
On 4/30/2019 at 4:45 AM, SandervG said:

For firmware? Maybe occasionally depending on a specific situation, but don't expect any periodic testing versions no. 

 

@SandervG Is there a way for QA to leverage volunteered end-users for final bake testing? Unless you have hitl fuzzers, you're just never going to get that release-to-wild feedback until you release-to-wild(*)

 

Perhaps you might consider providing them (QA) a means to have some small number of customers sign an NDA in exchange for "T-1" access to release builds with, potentially, specific test prints.

 

-Oliver


(* c.f: Engineer I worked with so vigorously and thoroughly tested a build across hundreds of internal build configs that he ultimately had to rush the release. First customer it encountered happened to be installing on a brand new machine that had never had the software installed before, and when he rebooted his machine an hour later, it wouldn't boot back up. The installer had tried to remove the previous installation, but it only caught *that* scenario if there was a record of where the previous entry had been. After that, it went ahead and deleted everything in the current directory, which was by default C:\... Hundreds of users had trashed their C:\ folder before the release was pulled)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
On 5/3/2019 at 9:40 AM, Flyver said:

Hey. I have tried since update 5.8.2 and cura 4.0 came out. Try logging into my printer from home. unsuccessfully. my printer stand on my job. and run with fixed IP. I have logged in to cura connect and start Connect to cloud. but when I try and log on to my S5 there at home I can not even find it even though I log on to my cura user. hope you  can help. as i would be able to stop printing from home and not have to go to work if something happens during print

 

Lasse

Danmark

 

6

If you manually add the printer, the cloud connection doesn't work. As you might have noticed, the cloud connection functionality is at the bare minimum right now. The 4.1 cura release will already have a more fleshed out implementation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

@SandervG Auto-level issues: Had my UM3 since 3/21. Things first went wrong for 3 weeks in, after I'd flipped the glass bed over the wrong way not knowing the two sides were different. Eventually I got so frustrated I went a week or so without using the UM3 and when I started using it again, I applied the latest update. I *think* I had actually also applied a firmware update just before I took my break.

 

So Q: Did any of the others with autolevel failure have another firmware update shortly before this latest one?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
On 5/6/2019 at 8:21 PM, kfsone said:

@SandervG Auto-level issues: Had my UM3 since 3/21. Things first went wrong for 3 weeks in, after I'd flipped the glass bed over the wrong way not knowing the two sides were different. Eventually I got so frustrated I went a week or so without using the UM3 and when I started using it again, I applied the latest update. I *think* I had actually also applied a firmware update just before I took my break.

 

So Q: Did any of the others with autolevel failure have another firmware update shortly before this latest one?

 

Hi @kfsone, thank you for your message. I'm not sure if I understand your question entirely. Are you asking if there was a firmware version available just before this one, which could introduce leveling issues? 

 

Could you describe the issues you were having? If you print on the wrong side of the glass plate the leveling is done correctly, except your filament most likely sticks less to the bed. I believe leveling issues introduced by the firmware would result in a wrong distance between the nozzle and the bed, which is quite different behavior. What are you experiencing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

@SandervG @kfsone I didn't read the whole thread, just saw the posts about firmware update and bed levelling and want to comment on that. I hope what I say is applicable.

I have 2 x UM3 machines and they were on old firmware. I constantly swap print cores in and out and do auto levelling every time after such a swap and it works very well. A few days ago I updated both to 5.2. In both cases it first had to do an intermediate firmware update before it could get 5.2, I guess that's how old the firmware was.

Immediately I had bed levelling issues on both. Both machines literally want to print .6mm deep into the glass. I know this because after the 3rd .2mm later it's still scraping the glass, only after the 4th later does it print above the glass by which time the nozzle is clogged. I replaced the printcores to see if it helps with the bed levelling but it made no difference. I now have to do manual levelling and I'm not sure if I've lost my touch but even that is a struggle now. If the print head as much as touches the levelling card then it scrapes the glass when printing. I now actually need to see some daylight between the nozzle and the glass, when doing a manual levelling, before it prints the first layer at the desirable height.

 

I guess I can do a factory reset and see if the problem goes away but first want to hear what others are experiencing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
12 hours ago, Patronus said:

@SandervG @kfsone ...Both machines literally want to print .6mm deep into the glass. I know this because after the 3rd .2mm later it's still scraping the glass, only after the 4th later does it print above the glass by which time the nozzle is clogged. I replaced the printcores to see if it helps with the bed levelling but it made no difference. I now have to do manual levelling and I'm not sure if I've lost my touch but even that is a struggle now. If the print head as much as touches the levelling card then it scrapes the glass when printing. I now actually need to see some daylight between the nozzle and the glass, when doing a manual levelling, before it prints the first layer at the desirable height.

I experience the same kind of issue. Honestly speaking, it has been a disaster to me since v5.2 is updated. Here is a list of encountered problems.

 

(1) The first thing I noticed is Wi-Fi get disconnected automatically. Then in Cura, UM3 is no longer discoverable. Now I have to power-cycle UM3 to get Wi-Fi connection work again.

(2) Auto-leveling is unusable. In fact, it causes the prints to fail again and again. I also noticed the auto-leveling procedure will push the nozzle to the print-bed so.... hard. I am so afraid of the build-glass might get broken. So, I decided to turn auto-leveling off.

(3) Then I thought manual-leveling might work. Yes and no. It does work... but I noticed two issues.

   (a) The print has a shorter height. I usually print a cube (10x10x10mm) to verify the accuracy. The height is around 9.82mm with 0.1mm layer height. But in the past (with the old firmware), it was always between 9.9 ~ 10.1mm.

   (b) The print is pretty difficult to be removed from the build-glass. Sometimes, I have to break the print to remove it.

(4) For XY calibration... I don't want to test it any more. I use Ultimaker breakaway material for support. But the material is so expensive. I don't want to waste my money.

 

Even I am an engineer, I don't want to open the machine and recovery it to old firmware because I know all those issues are caused by new firmware, not hardware. They all can be solved by hot-fixes. A fix is called "hot" because it is so critical for users to get it fixed ASAP. Now, I know the QA team have some for hot-fixes but JUST don't want to release. They want to release a new version and hope the new version will solve all the issues.

 

If users complain lots of critical issues after Apple release new iPhone software and one of the issues will cause your iPhone failed to dial up then what will Apple do? I guess Apple will release a hot-fix for users ASAP. Apple won't  say "Hey, please wait for us to fix all the issues. We don't want to release a hot-fix only for your iPhone able to dial up."

 

We spend "a lot' of money to buy Ultimaker 3 not because it is for fun but because we believe it is a reliable machine for professional work. Some of the issues are so critical that it make me feel UM3 is no longer a reliable machine. It just does't work. But I know the root cause is the QA team behind it. They didn't fully test the firmware before release it and now they don't care about users' feeling. Ask yourself, what will Apple do? The QA team is wasting my (and other users) time, and time is money for me.

 

I don't want to complain... if I want, I will post a lot of complains long time ago. I just want to tell the QA team "We don't need total solution at this moment. It will let me (and other users) feel much better if you can release hot-fixes one by one."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
5 minutes ago, rcfocus said:

I experience the same kind of issue. Honestly speaking, it has been a disaster to me since v5.2 is updated. Here is a list of encountered problems.

 

(1) The first thing I noticed is Wi-Fi get disconnected automatically. Then in Cura, UM3 is no longer discoverable. Now I have to power-cycle UM3 to get Wi-Fi connection work again.

(2) Auto-leveling is unusable. In fact, it causes the prints to fail again and again. I also noticed the auto-leveling procedure will push the nozzle to the print-bed so.... hard. I am so afraid of the build-glass might get broken. So, I decided to turn auto-leveling off.

(3) Then I thought manual-leveling might work. Yes and no. It does work... but I noticed two issues.

   (a) The print has a shorter height. I usually print a cube (10x10x10mm) to verify the accuracy. The height is around 9.82mm with 0.1mm layer height. But in the past (with the old firmware), it was always between 9.9 ~ 10.1mm.

   (b) The print is pretty difficult to be removed from the build-glass. Sometimes, I have to break the print to remove it.

(4) For XY calibration... I don't want to test it any more. I use Ultimaker breakaway material for support. But the material is so expensive. I don't want to waste my money.

 

Even I am an engineer, I don't want to open the machine and recovery it to old firmware because I know all those issues are caused by new firmware, not hardware. They all can be solved by hot-fixes. A fix is called "hot" because it is so critical for users to get it fixed ASAP. Now, I know the QA team have some for hot-fixes but JUST don't want to release. They want to release a new version and hope the new version will solve all the issues.

 

If users complain lots of critical issues after Apple release new iPhone software and one of the issues will cause your iPhone failed to dial up then what will Apple do? I guess Apple will release a hot-fix for users ASAP. Apple won't  say "Hey, please wait for us to fix all the issues. We don't want to release a hot-fix only for your iPhone able to dial up."

 

We spend "a lot' of money to buy Ultimaker 3 not because it is for fun but because we believe it is a reliable machine for professional work. Some of the issues are so critical that it make me feel UM3 is no longer a reliable machine. It just does't work. But I know the root cause is the QA team behind it. They didn't fully test the firmware before release it and now they don't care about users' feeling. Ask yourself, what will Apple do? The QA team is wasting my (and other users) time, and time is money for me.

 

I don't want to complain... if I want, I will post a lot of complains long time ago. I just want to tell the QA team "We don't need total solution at this moment. It will let me (and other users) feel much better if you can release hot-fixes one by one."

Well stated and your position mirrors mine and that of many many others.

 

It is going on “2” months; a timeline that by any standard is ridiculous.

 

How the Ultimaker Team can remain so cavalier in their “we are working on it” attitude is dumbfounding. The situation has caused much loss of productivity which for a business user equals loss of profits and for the the casual user the loss of their ability to simply use their printer.

 

I have made my position very clear and yet to be very clear; my position is that of myself and many others including associates that also own these printers but are reluctant to engage in this conversation because they are so upset.

 

The US resellers have no answers and I know of 2 people that have purchased a different brand printer simply because they could no longer wait.

 

I truly wish that more people would convey as you have.

 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

 

Takes care 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
16 hours ago, SandervG said:

Hi @kfsone, thank you for your message. I'm not sure if I understand your question entirely. Are you asking if there was a firmware version available just before this one, which could introduce leveling issues? 

 

Could you describe the issues you were having? If you print on the wrong side of the glass plate the leveling is done correctly, except your filament most likely sticks less to the bed. I believe leveling issues introduced by the firmware would result in a wrong distance between the nozzle and the bed, which is quite different behavior. What are you experiencing?

 

No: I was diagnosing an unrelated issue when I updated the firmware and after that the auto-level affecting issue prevented me from diagnosing it until I switched to manual leveling.

But having said that, I think the problem is not specific to auto-leveling. I think you have some Undefined Behavior in your firmware: I'm unable to print the calibration test because the printer randomly Does The Wrong Thing for me in terms of selecting print head and priming that print head.

I've tried about 15 calibration prints just today and I get a random combination of it lowering the wrong print head, unpriming the right right head so much that it only prints the last few lines of the chart, and occasionally - even though I have active levelling set to off - occasionally it will do an "active leveling" at the start of the calibration print and then it fails to print because its trying to ram the print head into the bed.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_IOhDMBvyE8HEV6LdnkMypM2NjZdwQD9

 

It also keeps trying to either print the calibration print with the wrong heads (e.g it has the right head lowered while trying to print the left chart) or it over-retracts t1 at some point (I tried to make sure the heads were primed before trying to print) and I only get the last few lines of the t1 chart.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Hello,

I agree that the Q/A decision to release only after solving all issues at once seems rather strange... Especially when you consider that not all issues have the same "basic usage" critical impact.
 

By the way, having a complete official list of all issues found and being under correction trial so far by Ultimaker team would be nice...

 

I have only seen acknowledgment of XY calibration pattern extrusion issue, but I suspect they are other "officially known" (otherwise why would it take so long to solve...)

My printer is quite new (received it beginning of March) so i'm in a delicate position for stating things, but I have the feeling that other printing quality issues arised after switching to new firmware + CURA 4. Some issues may be from CURA 4, but others would also be from firmware.

 

e.g. :

 

- As other users, I believe that the active leveling was working better before. I'm not having the head scracthing the glass as some aer reporting, but it's definitely getting too close to it (and I'm not using any kind of Z plugins or custom g code) and this results in difficult extrusion for first layer (sometimes causing filament grinding)

- I'm experiencing network loss of connectivity (printer is networked though Ethernet cable), both on CURA side and mobile app side. I've been compiling latest github CURA 4 yesterday, I'll check if this development version makes things better on that side. I'm not using WiFi on the printer side, so I have nothing to tell about printer WiFi.

- I'm experiencing more under extrusion issues than before. I believe that this is a combination of "under-optimal" bed leveling that causes some filament grinding, and also some strange default CURA 4 parameters about retraction (and I definitely experienced grinding because of too many retractions).

- I'm experiencing a X/Y pattern repeatability issue cf. thread :


I have never tried changing printcores before the firware update, so I can't tell if this is new behaviour. Anyway, since my last calibration procedure with a 0/0 pre start setting, things are getting better.

I hope to read about Ultimaker official soon... about new firmware release would be the best, but intermediate information is also much welcome as far as I'm concerned...

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Since firmware upgrade 5.2.8, the active level on my UM3 didn't work anymore.

Today I have performed the  firmware upgrade 5.2.11 and the active level is now working 🙂

Please next time perform more testing before releasing a firmware upgrade especially when it's not a reversible upgrade and it can damage the hardware.

Anyway thank you to fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
 
 
1
13 hours ago, WesleySAV17 said:

 

Still no WIFI despite the update 5.2.11 ..... disappointing ....

I had to send my s5 to the reseller to fix this issue. New WiFi board fixed the problem 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

First off, because of all the negative energy, I want to make sure I put some positive energy out there - I do want to thank everyone on this board and anyone from Ultimaker that did take the time to respond and read.  Despite the issues with this firmware update - I am appreciative of the Ultimaker community - which was one of the reasons I bought mine. 

 

I'm glad that 5.2.11 is out - but truth be told, I'm scared to install it!  Are there any specific notes on this incremental upgrade for which fixes it's supposed to address?  Who's tried it and has it resolved your issues?  THere's one post already that spoke to auto leveling being better.

 

I wonder if it's addressed any of the G92 code, or calibration issues or for some - the wifi issues.  Seems like some people are still expeiencing problems with wifi (which luckily I didn't have problems to the extent of others).

 

Bobby

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
5 hours ago, bsaygan said:

First off, because of all the negative energy, I want to make sure I put some positive energy out there - I do want to thank everyone on this board and anyone from Ultimaker that did take the time to respond and read.  Despite the issues with this firmware update - I am appreciative of the Ultimaker community - which was one of the reasons I bought mine. 

 

I'm glad that 5.2.11 is out - but truth be told, I'm scared to install it!  Are there any specific notes on this incremental upgrade for which fixes it's supposed to address?  Who's tried it and has it resolved your issues?  THere's one post already that spoke to auto leveling being better.

 

I wonder if it's addressed any of the G92 code, or calibration issues or for some - the wifi issues.  Seems like some people are still expeiencing problems with wifi (which luckily I didn't have problems to the extent of others).

 

Bobby

 

 

 

 

I am in the same position, my S5 arrived last week and is on the firmware prior to the problematic one and its working fine, it would be good to get a summary/release note of what this release fixes or enhances. @SandervG is this available somewhere ?

 

thanks

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
7 hours ago, ScanHD said:

I had to send my s5 to the reseller to fix this issue. New WiFi board fixed the problem 

 

If I understand correctly, you sent your printer service to replace the WIFI card ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
1 minute ago, WesleySAV17 said:

 

If I understand correctly, you sent your printer service to replace the WIFI card ???

Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
1 hour ago, Link said:

 

 

I am in the same position, my S5 arrived last week and is on the firmware prior to the problematic one and its working fine, it would be good to get a summary/release note of what this release fixes or enhances. @SandervG is this available somewhere ?

 

thanks

 

 

 

 

https://ultimaker.com/en/ultimaker-firmware

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Hi, as some/most of you may have realized a new stable firmware has been released. As @ultiarjan just linked to, you can find an overview of the contents of this new firmware via that link. For your convenience I'll post some of it below: 

 

Firmware 5.2.11 is a fix release to correct issues reported in firmware 5.2.8. This fix will address the issues discussed below:

 

Update via USB. Fixed an issue where printers without a network connection couldn’t update to the .swu file system. Users that tried to upgrade to firmware 5.2.8 via USB would get stuck on the stepping stone version due to a mismatch between the onboard time stamp of the printer, which would default to standard Linux (UNIX) time, and the timestamp of the downloaded file.

 

XY calibration. Fixed an issue which prevented the XY calibration procedure from extruding properly. All printers running firmware 5.2.8 would initiate the XY calibration procedure with filament in a retracted state. This meant that the procedure would finish its sequence without extruding correctly. Firmware 5.2.11 ensures that filament is fully primed before initiating XY calibration.

 

Screen issues. Fixed an issue where the screen on the Ultimaker 3 shifted or rotated. Firmware 5.2.11 included a redundant feature that was interacting with the Linux kernel in an unexpected way, leading to shifted or rotating screens. This feature has been completely removed in firmware 5.2.11.

 

Third-party materials. Abrasive materials have been removed from the Ultimaker 3 material selection menu, as printing abrasive materials will damage the Ultimaker 3 feeder wheel.

 

@Link, you should be able to update your firmware fine if you follow the instructions on your Ultimaker. You will first be taken to a 'stepping stone' firmware update, and consequently, install the latest new version. And congratulations with your Ultimaker! 🙂

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Release notes missing some important points such as xy calibration repeatabiliy issue confirmed on another thread :

 

Therefore i guess that upgrading this firmware should go with as full xy recalibration. And that would have been nice to be told

 

Edited by Matioupi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

I'm not brave enough to try this update so I think I will wait a bit and see how it pans out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Haha, I am the same, I was just about to install it and saw some more noise about WiFi not working 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Sitting firm here too as the confidence level remains hopeful but cautious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
      Ultimaker Cura 4.0 is mainly focused on the improved user interface and cloud integration.
      As always, we want to collect your user feedback for this release. If there are any improvements you can think of, feel free to mention it here and help us to shape the next release.
      • 98 replies
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!