Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Guest maht

Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

I cannot help with Wifi experience, because my printers are connected through ethernet, but I updated yesterday my UM3 and S5, and both printers work fine. (But I should say, I also haven't any issues with the previous firmware)

One issue I had on the UM3, a buzzy noise from the display, is fixed now.

16 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I cannot help with Wifi experience, because my printers are connected through ethernet, but I updated yesterday my UM3 and S5, and both printers work fine. (But I should say, I also haven't any issues with the previous firmware)

One issue I had on the UM3, a buzzy noise from the display, is fixed now.

Good information 

Thank you 

I'm not sure if it linked to that last firmware update, but since I did it my printer often disconnect from CURA and I have to go to Preferences > Confugure CURA > Printers and click on 'Connect via network' (I'm connected via ethernet) to re-establish the connection. It's not much, bit it's quite annoying to have to do it every few prints. I think it happens every time I switch material or printcores...

2 hours ago, Brulti said:

I'm not sure if it linked to that last firmware update, but since I did it my printer often disconnect from CURA and I have to go to Preferences > Confugure CURA > Printers and click on 'Connect via network' (I'm connected via ethernet) to re-establish the connection. It's not much, bit it's quite annoying to have to do it every few prints. I think it happens every time I switch material or printcores...

I had the same, yesterdays update seems to have solved it, so that annoyance is gone...

Upgraded an UM3 and S5, both seem fine, the XY calibration is working again. 

Can't judge the WIFI as mine are all wired.

Hello,

I can only update through USB (company policy), and I've been stuck on this stepstone firmware for months (very unstable). Now that the USB-update option is available again, I tried to upgrade to version 5.2.11 this morning. Without succes: error message says that the firmware could not be verified (like I had when trying to update 5.2.8 through USB in the past).

I'm in the same boat as most here, I don't understand how a company like Ultimaker is so slow on fixing their issues. We use our Ultimakers for professional use in our company, we'll have to rethink the options when investing in further printers.

Which step of the update did you have a problem with? The intermediate step or the final version?

5 minutes ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

Which step of the update did you have a problem with? The intermediate step or the final version?

On a related note, when my S5 offers a update it shows 5.11 not a interim version, should the available version show the interim version first ? Or will it do the required in the background ?

49 minutes ago, bramvdc1985 said:

Hello,

I can only update through USB (company policy), and I've been stuck on this stepstone firmware for months (very unstable). Now that the USB-update option is available again, I tried to upgrade to version 5.2.11 this morning. Without succes: error message says that the firmware could not be verified (like I had when trying to update 5.2.8 through USB in the past).

I'm in the same boat as most here, I don't understand how a company like Ultimaker is so slow on fixing their issues. We use our Ultimakers for professional use in our company, we'll have to rethink the options when investing in further printers.

Same verfication problem here. I wanted to update from 5.2.8 (which killed my wifi and ethernet connection ) to 5.2.11.

@link the S5 shows the firmware number of the final step for both steps.

1 hour ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

@link the S5 shows the firmware number of the final step for both steps.

Thanks !

I updated FW 5.2.11 when it is available. The auto-leveling function is working very well. But the Wi-Fi issue is still there. I still have to power-cycle UM3 so that it can be detected. Or, do I have to call customer service to replace the WI-Fi board? At least, my UM3 is usable now.

I have noticed one issue with FW 5.2.8. If z-offset is used (say 0.05mm) then the nozzle will print in the air. There will be a big gap between nozzle and glass. But I don't test it on FW 5.2.11 yet. Could any one confirm this issue get fixed or not? There are too many models need to be printed ASAP... no much time to test/verify all issues.

28 minutes ago, rcfocus said:

I updated FW 5.2.11 when it is available. The auto-leveling function is working very well. But the Wi-Fi issue is still there. I still have to power-cycle UM3 so that it can be detected. Or, do I have to call customer service to replace the WI-Fi board? At least, my UM3 is usable now.

I have noticed one issue with FW 5.2.8. If z-offset is used (say 0.05mm) then the nozzle will print in the air. There will be a big gap between nozzle and glass. But I don't test it on FW 5.2.11 yet. Could any one confirm this issue get fixed or not? There are too many models need to be printed ASAP... no much time to test/verify all issues.

you need to update you z offset plugin, there is anothter thread on this, basically the UM firmware does not support the G92 command now, so the new plugin takes account of that and calculates the offset in a different way. Once you change the plugin to the new version it will work as expected 

26 minutes ago, Link said:

you need to update you z offset plugin,

Note that a new version of the plugin, which singles out Ultimaker 3 and S5 printers, is now available in the Marketplace. This fixes this issue, specifically for these printers.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bramvdc1985 said:

Hello,

4 hours ago, cmeier38 said:

Same verfication problem here. I wanted to update from 5.2.8 (which killed my wifi and ethernet connection ) to 5.2.11.

Same Problem here, I wanted to update via USB from 5.2.8 (which killed my wifi too) to 5.2.11. Can't use LAN due Company Policy. Error message says that the firmware could not be verified. The Log says something like "could not verify online file version.txt"

Do you need Internet to Update via USB???

As far as I'm concerned, I have just installed / tested the 5.2.11on UM3.
    Things went smoothly. I'm not using Wifi and have not tested things on that matter.
    - Active leveling seems way better
    - XY calibration pattern extrusion issue solved, and I confirm that repeatability issue is solved too (running several calibration in a row returns same offset values !)

Just upgraded the S5 via USB and it worked. Got a bit nervous there a few times when the screen would go blank for a long time, or when the progress bar seemed to not be moving. But, it did complete, and am running the first print off the S5 with the new firmware. We will see.......🤞

BUT! It STILL came back to "Confirm removal" upon both sets of upgrades and the final booting of the last part. While not a game stopper, it is still dorky to see it keep displaying that when in fact it has been selected many, many times that the print has been removed.

Hopefully it will go away with a new start-finish-remove-confirm cycle to be completed.

But, not bricked and the print is happening. And, in MY little corner of the stupidverse, that is a good thing 🙂 Just hope the print is solid.

And, the new print was sliced with the new 4.1 Beta.

Just finished upgrading the UM3E and it is running its first print.

On 5/16/2019 at 9:00 PM, Link said:

you need to update you z offset plugin, there is anothter thread on this, basically the UM firmware does not support the G92 command now, so the new plugin takes account of that and calculates the offset in a different way. Once you change the plugin to the new version it will work as expected 

Thanks a lot! I will update it.

I have just updated my S5 to .11 and everything is fine so far, WiFi works no problem

There seems having rule for the Wi-Fi issue. Here is the observed behavior.

(1) Power on Mac --> Power on UM3 --> Keep Mac active during printing --> Print is done --> Cura can send the next model to UM3 without problem.

(2) Power on Mac --> Power on UM3 --> Mac go to sleep during printing --> Print is done --> Wakeup Mac --> Cura can NOT send the next model to UM3. UM3 is still shown as connected in Cura.

(3) Power on Mac --> Power on UM3 --> Power off Mac during printing --> Print is done --> Power on Mac --> Cura can NOT detect UM3.

For situations (2) and (3), I have to power-cycle UM3 so that Cura can connect to it again. Hope that the observation is helpful for Ultimaker team to find the root cause.

Have you tried to go to preferences in Cura, (printer-> Connect via Network) and click on connect there? It happens not often to me, that Cura cannot connect to the printer, but if it happens I just click on connect and that's it.

21 hours ago, Smithy said:

Have you tried to go to preferences in Cura, (printer-> Connect via Network) and click on connect there? It happens not often to me, that Cura cannot connect to the printer, but if it happens I just click on connect and that's it.

Yes, every time when UM3 can't be connect I will go to "Connect via Network". For situation (3), no printer is listed so I will click on "Refresh" several times. But UM3 is still not listed. After power-cycle UM3, it will be listed in Cura automatically.

For situation (2), UM3 is already listed there. The button "Print over network" is still available. But Cura will fail to send out the model when I click on the button.

Hmm, that is strange, I never had to restart the printer itself. So I guess the printer has lost the network connection for whatever reason.

This was posted on the 4.1 beta theread, but since I am not sure if it is firmware or software creating this issue, I am posting it here as well.

4.0 and 4.1 both do not produce the checked off 'prime blob' for extruder 2 on the S5. Once checked, it will print the Extruder 1 blob, but not the Extruder 2 blob.

This has been checked on the latest firmware, so I am not sure what the disconnect is....Cura or firmware.

And, while on the subject of prime blobs, Please, please, please make this consistent for all printers. In my instance, it is on by default for the UM3E and off for the S5.

Consistency would be nice.

Also, over theweekend, the S5 failed to detect when my UM PVA stopped feeding.