Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Guest maht

Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

After I had my WiFi card replaced at the reseller, I was able to update to the latest firmware successfully. 

So far so good. Although I've only done a few basic prints. 

And I can turn the frame light off!!! At last 🙂

On 5/20/2019 at 6:04 PM, kmanstudios said:

Also, over theweekend, the S5 failed to detect when my UM PVA stopped feeding. 

Same on my Ultimaker 3 with 5.2.11

25 minutes ago, Matioupi said:

Same on my Ultimaker 3 with 5.2.11

The UM3 series did not and still does not have a feeder detection. So, it would not be expected to notify you when you run out or fail to feed filament.

On 5/19/2019 at 3:50 AM, rcfocus said:

Yes, every time when UM3 can't be connect I will go to "Connect via Network". For situation (3), no printer is listed so I will click on "Refresh" several times. But UM3 is still not listed. After power-cycle UM3, it will be listed in Cura automatically.

I have this happen too.  It's weird that when I have to click refresh multiple times and it finally does show the printer, the connect button doesn't seem to do actually anything, almost like it is already connected at that point.  The issue is sporadic, sometimes it will go days without having this problem.  This problem appeared after the 5.2.8 upgrade, which required some kind of stepping stone firmware upgrade to finally get to 5.2.8 at the time.  The same time as the drifting UI began happening for me.

13 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

The UM3 series did not and still does not have a feeder detection. So, it would not be expected to notify you when you run out or fail to feed filament. 

Right... I was convinced of the opposite... How is this implemented technically ? is there a chance that this comes as an upgrade sooner or later ?

4 minutes ago, Matioupi said:

Right... I was convinced of the opposite... How is this implemented technically ? is there a chance that this comes as an upgrade sooner or later ?

It would require a new sensor and firmware updates cannot add a new physical sensor, they can only read from an existing sensor if it exists.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
    1 hour ago, Matioupi said:

Technically it's simple, it would just mean an upgrade with the S5 feeders, and implementation in the firmware like in the S5. But it's not very interesting for Ultimaker to do so, so I'm pretty sure this will not happen. At some point there will probably be a successor for the UM3 that will get this (and at the same time fix the lack of abrasive resistant feeder on the UM3)

edit: not saying the technique is simple, Ultimaker struggled for years with it... but now it's ready on the S5 it should be simple to move to a new machine....

Edited by ultiarjan

6 hours ago, Matioupi said:

I cannot find the thread at the moment, but I believe that UM said that they would not be making and selling an upgrade for the UM3 to implement the feeder sensor. Their decisions was based on both financial and technical reasons, as far as I can remember. @SandervG, perhaps you could confirm and give more explanations on that decision, please?

On 5/22/2019 at 7:55 AM, Abrasive said:

It would require a new sensor and firmware updates cannot add a new physical sensor, they can only read from an existing sensor if it exists.

The Ulti 3 has cabling from the mainboard which terminates in an unused plug inside both of the feeders, so it would look like everything bar the physical switch and firmware mod is already in place - so it shouldn't take much implementing really

On 5/16/2019 at 2:27 PM, ahoeben said:

Note that a new version of the plugin, which singles out Ultimaker 3 and S5 printers, is now available in the Marketplace. This fixes this issue, specifically for these printers.

Following on from your concerns about how this new version would work and make processing of the new height slower by changing every instance of the gcode, are you happy with this version ?, is there any downsides to using this ?

58 minutes ago, Link said:

your concerns about how this new version would work and make processing of the new height slower

Those concerns are mostly theoretical; a feeling that this should not be necessary. I still think this should be fixed properly in the firmware, but until it is the current implementation in the latest version of the plugin should work just fine.

Thanks, I have just installed it and looked at the Gcode, it looks to do what is required, will try a print shortly. As you say it should be fixed in firmware. It's not possible to print PETG for example without extra offset so something is needed 

Latest Cura latest firmware, no problem so far.

20190601_193651.jpg

• Like 1

UM3E

Since my reseller is incompetent, these forums get a bit of attention instead.

Still having this issue with the latest update. This is after a factory reset.

Only thing I haven't tried would be downgrading.

I was under the impression that the latest update resolved this.

Any hints would be welcome as the printer becomes unresponsive after a while.

----

Been browsing/reading a bunch of topics regarding this issue.

Connected a LAN cable and switched to that (from WiFi) -- hoping this keeps the printer working for now.

----

Switching to a LAN connection is the way to go -- I'm able to print without issue and the printer is not locking up nor is the display acting up. I'm happy~

Edited by avluis

Hi Everyone,

I noticed this evening that having looked in the Cura Connect page on my UM3 I saw that it said, "This printer can now be updated with firmware version 5.2.11".  Also it says below... 'No Ultimaker printers found on the local area network.', apart from the one you show above, ....which is on my local area network... ok then... whatever. 😁

Working for a software vendor, in the product management and development side of the business, one of the things I like to do always, is to read the release notes to understand, changes, updates, new features and most importantly, known issues.

Couldn't find anything (not easily anyway) on the main website, just ended up at a download page or an page from the manual telling how to upgrade, so I though I'd hop on to the forum and ask if anyone knows where they can be found (older versions, UM2, have at least one in GitHub).

Little did I know I'd find this thread, i have read all 13 pages this evening. 😮

Wow, just wow!

Glad to see it's moved forward, I'm going to check my UM3 firmware version tomorrow to see what it's at, should be interesting.

I haven't run an X/Y calibration for some time, it's on a wired LAN connection, auto levelling seems fine, although I've not done a dual extruder print for some time and my printer usually pops up in Cura (4.4.1) without issue when I turn it on. I do normally update firmware when it pops up on the screen, so now I'm sitting here wondering what version it's running. Could it just be that as a general home user I just have not hit the issues because I don't need to, perhaps like many other UM3 / S5 users out there? Could that be the reason for just "0.1%" user noise?

"Everything works until you find something that doesn't!"

onwards and upwards!

I just updated my S5 now and its basically useless, none of my old files from my usb card work, I can't print, it crashes all the time tried both nozzles and none work. just endlessly grinds into the bed oozing out and giving errors before i have to switch it off or it just dies. I get a weird unreadable orange warning which i later read, caution hot surface ( whoever though white text on yellow was a good idea? seriously? Its completely unreadable it should be white on red or something) 

basically upset that I have to go back to my UM2. and leave the s5. 😞

Will try with cura 4.4 but I have so many files I made with 3.4 i reprint off my current stick do i reallI have to redo slicing them all????

Im going into a corner to sulk now.

Can I rollback my firmware somehow? Back one year if poss?

Is this easily readable? I dont think so.. just curious but does anyone disagree?

20200207_143852.jpg

Edited by cloakfiend

1 hour ago, cloakfiend said:

I just updated my S5 now and its basically useless, none of my old files from my usb card work, I can't print, it crashes all the time tried both nozzles and none work. just endlessly grinds into the bed oozing out and giving errors before i have to switch it off or it just dies. I get a weird unreadable orange warning which i later read, caution hot surface ( whoever though white text on yellow was a good idea? seriously? Its completely unreadable it should be white on red or something) 

Will try with cura 4.4 but I have so many files I made with 3.4 i reprint off my current stick do i reallI have to redo slicing them all????

Is this easily readable? I dont think so.. just curious but does anyone disagree?

20200207_143852.jpg

I'm sure if you ask Ultimaker support or your local reseller they can give you an old firmware version and the steps needed to roll back, i know they did it for people who had problems with the air station and that.

I recommend version 5.2.11, the latest version before all that new stuff.

10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I recommend version 5.2.11, the latest version before all that new stuff.

Agree, don't go above .11 unless you have the air manger etc and have to upgrade. I am not sure why UM have so many problems with the firmware after .11 but when I upgraded the nozzle got rammed into the bed first time it ran !

That’s where my UM3 is. Everything seems to be working. The auto levelling is now done at four points, better than previous firmware. 

Edited by LaserBrain

1 hour ago, cloakfiend said:

20200207_143852.jpg

From having read the entire thread, there is no way for you to roll back the firmware. However your reseller should be able to do it for you. This is the recommended action for you to take to get your S5 up and running again. 
    Good luck. 

Hopefully all good now! i installed cura 4.4.1 after about 6 or 7 weird failures in a row but now seems to be printing. I noticed that printing started from the center rather than from the left or right side as before. Also wait times when aborting seem to be much longer for some reason.

Will post if I have any further issues. But I still think the warning should be red, lol.

That's what I get for not reading threads in full.

15 hours ago, cloakfiend said:

Hopefully all good now! i installed cura 4.4.1 after about 6 or 7 weird failures in a row but now seems to be printing. I noticed that printing started from the center rather than from the left or right side as before. Also wait times when aborting seem to be much longer for some reason.

Will post if I have any further issues. But I still think the warning should be red, lol.

That's what I get for not reading threads in full.

Great to hear, I also noticed that the wait time on an abort is longer, seems to want to complete whatever is in the command queue perhaps. 

As for the warning, red and green are often used but also cause difficulties for colour blind people. To meet usability regulations, it's often found that a symbol is used then coloured, so even if the red is mistaken the symbol is not. Fire is often yellowy orange, so perhaps that's what they were going for, perhaps if they used the symbol that's on my bed glass in orange it would make more sense.

IMG_3578.jpg

Edited by LaserBrain