Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Guest maht

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

@smithy No, not using the Z offset plugin.

I downloaded the logs, but don't know what to look for. Like I said, it does the auto levelling (better than before) but then lowers the build plate about half way and starts printing in air.

Also, if I raise-buildplate, it comes right up to touch.

Edited by kevin-osborn
asking for downgrade insructions

Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

If people really have no idea, is it possible to downgrade? I uderstand this one was a biggy, so I was worried about trying to downgrade and making things worse.

Btw, I looked at the Gcode, looks normal to me, with Z movements to .3, and then to .27 for the pre-extrusion.

No gcode preprocessing, and I upgraded to the latest version of cura, though it was doing the same thing before with a 3.X version. (sorry I didn't make a not of it before upgrade)

2 hours ago, Sam_I_Am said:

Roughly how long does the update take? Got an S5 updating over the network and it's been going for almost 2hrs now. 

Update should take not approx 5 minutes. Was it the first or the second update and what is shown on the screen? 

5 minutes ago, raysiudak said:

Update should take not approx 5 minutes. Was it the first or the second update and what is shown on the screen? 

I'm assuming it's the first one, I pressed the 'i' in the top right of the screen and updated from there. The screen is now stuck on 'Updating firmware' screen and has been for hours

58 minutes ago, raysiudak said:

Can you tell me the printer type and if this happens on the first update or the second and if you are updating from the internet or USB. 

Cannot verify means there is a corruption in the downloaded files and it cannot verify it's signature, you can try to reboot and try again or try updating over USB as suggested in the first post. 

Its an S5

2nd update (first worked fine)

i was using USB

Thanks

18 hours ago, ctbeke said:

That's unfortunate. At the moment remote printing is only supported by Cura indeed, so either on a 2nd desktop or a laptop that you take somewhere else. I can't go into details here but we'll be adding a lot more features in the (near) future, this is just the basis for having a cloud connection at all.

Hi There,

Still a bit confused.

I launched up cura 4 on another computer outside of my network, and signed into my ultimaker account through it. 
    However, I can find no option to monitor my print of my ultimaker 3 at home.

The account options simply let me view my profile, and the monitor tab simply asks me to connect a printer to the computer.

I was under the impression I would be able to launch cura connect for my home printer using a second computer outside of the network?

Thanks for any response.

Just now, DrZebra said:

Hi There,

Still a bit confused.

I launched up cura 4 on another computer outside of my network, and signed into my ultimaker account through it. 
    However, I can find no option to monitor my print of my ultimaker 3 at home.

The account options simply let me view my profile, and the monitor tab simply asks me to connect a printer to the computer.

I was under the impression I would be able to launch cura connect for my home printer using a second computer outside of the network?

Thanks for any response.

During the setup flow, Cura Connect explains to open Cura to finish the setup. This step must be done when Cura is running in the same local network (it needs to 'pair' the local and cloud instances of connect). This is not optimal and will be fixed in the next release, but for now this is how it is.

1 minute ago, ctbeke said:

During the setup flow, Cura Connect explains to open Cura to finish the setup. This step must be done when Cura is running in the same local network (it needs to 'pair' the local and cloud instances of connect). This is not optimal and will be fixed in the next release, but for now this is how it is.

Alternatively, you could make a backup in Cura on your 1st machine (after setting up the cloud connection on that Cura instance), and then restore that backup on your 2nd machine. This will copy over the connection tokens as well.

2 minutes ago, ctbeke said:

Oh i see, so currently this only really works for laptops?

That's fine, thanks for the quick response and glad to hear it will updated in the future 🙂

22 hours ago, Smithy said:

Updated successfully my UM3 and S5, without any problems.

But one minor issue on the UM3. The printer had a high-frequency buzzing noise after startup which was not there before. After a power off/on, the noise comes again when the printer has finished booting. So during the boot, there is nothing, when it is ready the buzzing noise is there again. I cannot locate the source of the sound, but it was interesting, that after turning the dial button the noise was gone. 

So for me, it is not an issue, I usually never turn off the printers, and if so, I just have to move the button a little bit to get rid of the sound. But I want to report it if you want to take a look into it.

the noise I have too .... it annoys .... if you move the wheel it is a short way away but it comes again ....

It *is* possible to downgrade a UM3, @kevin-osborn, but it's difficult because the whole process changed in 5.2.  So if you are a version older than 5.2 it's easy to downgrade and if you are at version 6.0 (in the future some day) it should be easy to downgrade to 5.2 but no lower.

Anyway to downgrade across this boundary is more involved.

You need to remove the bottom cover and you need a micro-sd card and special software on your pc/mac/linux machine to create a boot partition on the micro-sd.  Versions you can downgrade to are listed here:

http://software.ultimaker.com/jedi/releases/

Process is here:

One odd thing I noticed since upgrading my UM3 is if you use the handwheel to rapidly jog the z axis during manual bed level, it no longer moves smoothy, but starts-stops-starts-stops with every revolution of the wheel.

3 hours ago, kevin-osborn said:

Btw, I looked at the Gcode, looks normal to me, with Z movements to .3, and then to .27 for the pre-extrusion.

Can you share the gcode, or the first part of it?

Does it contain any G92 commands with a Z - parameter?

if i slice with cura and save the file on a usb stick then the ulti3 will print it .... if i want to slice it with s3d and print it via usb then it will print nothing anymore, it will read it in a moment and go back to the menu .... please change it again .... or find a way that I come back to the old ulti firmeware ....

Just loaded the 5.2 firmware and S3D files won't print. Cura prints are working but I also need to be able to print S3D files.

Hope there will be a fix or workaround for this soon?

Since the update of my S5 I no longer activates the connesion WIFI, the bonton remains grayed ???

3 hours ago, Sam_I_Am said:

I'm assuming it's the first one, I pressed the 'i' in the top right of the screen and updated from there. The screen is now stuck on 'Updating firmware' screen and has been for hours

This is a known bug and was fixed about half a year ago. Updating from the 'i' in the top right corner stalls your printer on some of the older S5 releases.

When this happens you can safely switch off the machine, the update process hasn't started yet.

The update procedure does work when you start it from the maintenance menu.

I've updated the firmware over the air as instructed - first with a "stepping stone" version and then to 5.2. 
    After the update the printer appears to have an issue where after about 3-5 minutes the screen gets bugged and the printing doesn't work. I've attached a picture of what the screen looks like.
    We've tried to start the printing and as soon as the screen goes into this mode the printer just freezes.

I've tried to re-install the firmware from USB but I get the same issue.
    Any clue how to fix this? Can I downgrade to a lower, more stable firmware version?

IMG_20190322_133321.jpg

For the Simplify 3D users:

In the S5 (and now UM3 as well) a few more compulsory fields were added to the start of the gcode.

I'm not an S3D user so can't tell you where and how to configure this, but to the startingGcode you have to add the following comment lines:

;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.INITIAL_TEMPERATURE:60
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.MATERIAL.VOLUME_USED:1234
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.MATERIAL.GUID:506c9f0d-e3aa-4bd4-b2d2-23e2425b1aa9
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.NOZZLE.DIAMETER:0.4

My guess is you can replace the hard coded values with variables like [bed0_temperature] and [extruder0_temperature]

3 hours ago, alexbln01 said:

the noise I have too .... it annoys .... if you move the wheel it is a short way away but it comes again ....

That's bad, for me, the noise was gone as soon as I turned the wheel and never came back. But I have to say, I haven't printed yet, so maybe it will come back with some action.

3 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

Can you share the gcode, or the first part of it?

Does it contain any G92 commands with a Z - parameter?

;START_OF_HEADER
    ;HEADER_VERSION:0.1
    ;FLAVOR:Griffin
    ;GENERATOR.NAME:Cura_SteamEngine
    ;GENERATOR.VERSION:4.0.0
    ;GENERATOR.BUILD_DATE:2019-03-19
    ;TARGET_MACHINE.NAME:Ultimaker 3
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.INITIAL_TEMPERATURE:210
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.MATERIAL.VOLUME_USED:646
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.MATERIAL.GUID:506c9f0d-e3aa-4bd4-b2d2-23e2425b1aa9
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.NOZZLE.DIAMETER:0.4
    ;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.NOZZLE.NAME:AA 0.4
    ;BUILD_PLATE.TYPE:glass
    ;BUILD_PLATE.INITIAL_TEMPERATURE:70
    ;PRINT.TIME:341
    ;PRINT.GROUPS:1
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.X:9
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.Y:6
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MIN.Z:0.27
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.X:125.891
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.Y:116.891
    ;PRINT.SIZE.MAX.Z:10.07
    ;END_OF_HEADER
    ;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 4.0.0
    T0
    M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
    G92 Z-0.3
    G92 E0
    M109 S210
    G0 F15000 X9 Y6 Z2
    G280
    G1 F1500 E-6.5
    ;LAYER_COUNT:50
    ;LAYER:0
    M107
    G0 F7500 X108.473 Y99.325 Z0.27
    ;TYPE:SKIRT
    G1 F1500 E0
    G1 F1200 X108.928 Y98.945 E0.01004
    G1 X109.431 Y98.631 E0.02007
    G1 X109.971 Y98.386 E0.03011
    G1 X110.54 Y98.217 E0.04016
    G1 X111.125 Y98.126 E0.05019
    G1 X111.509 Y98.109 E0.05669

Note also, if I turn off auto-levelling it's worse (and I did manually level it after setting levelling frequency to never)

It basically goes all the way to to the bottom and then tries to move the wrong direction.

The latest firmware seems to work differently with the Bondtech QR feeders on my 3E (with required value changes applied to firmware). Anyone else seeing this? I asked Bondtech to take a look.

11 minutes ago, kevin-osborn said:

G92 Z-0.3

Remove this line and it should work again.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

It's funny @Smithy I just tried that (probably while you were typing} and it does print now.

I don't have any plugins configured, could it be an invisible migration from a previous install?

how do I get rid of it's automatic generation?

I'm digging around in ~/Library/Application Support/Cura/4.0 and not finding anything

Update; I never found where it was getting set, but I blew away that dir, and reinstalled Cura.

There were apparently settings somewhere else because it referenced some of my custom profiles, and said they were corrupt, did I want to do a factory reset. I did and everything seems to work now, though I have to tediously recreate all my custom material settings and profiles.

Edited by kevin-osborn
    adding update on reinstall of cura

As a side note, if I copy in all my old settings from ~/Library/Application Support/cura/4.0 the problem comes back. I tried selectively copying files, but there are so many cross dependencies, I ended up giving up. I still haven't isolated where the setting that causes the problem is.