Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Guest maht

Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
26 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Actually, with everything I have read, kinda glad I was not an early adopter on this........

Yeah, it'll definitely make me more cautious when prompted to upgrade in future.

2 Ultimakers out of action for 48 hours now and counting...

Do Ultimaker actually monitor this forum, because as yet, no response whatsoever, despite all the issues mentioned here. I was considering ordering an S5 to get the bigger build space, but given their apparent complete lack of concern for customers i guess that is not going to happen now.

3 hours ago, viola0083 said:

I'm desperate with this 5.2.8 firmware, please enlighten me how to restore to earlier version 

I followed the instructions to recover from the link below. Need to create a recovery image on microSD and plug it in the processor board and let it boot up. Then power cycle and recalibrate the print head swap position. I haven't done it before and it was pretty straightforward.

Getting ready to recover to previous version, with the instructions posted by Gr5, anyone know if there is a later recovery image available as this one seems to be 2017.

1 minute ago, itretail said:

Getting ready to recover to previous version, with the instructions posted by Gr5, anyone know if there is a later recovery image available as this one seems to be 2017.

The recovery image seems to have been updated as I followed Gr5 instrusctions and version 4.3.3.20180529 was on the printer after the power cycle

Excellent, thanks for the update.

How long should it take to reboot after power on with SD card inserted, mines has been at Ultimaker logo screen

for about 20 mins now.

23 hours ago, viola0083 said:

my problems on Ultimaker 3 after installing firmware 5.2.8 are:

- no Wifi (haven't try the camera) after doing factory reset

- cannot print if using S3D, I have also sent email to S3D for possible solution, they have worked a 

temporary U3 profile for firmware 5.2.8, I have tried and tested a few times but still have some problems:

--- the machine will keep asking me to use the printhead that's not designated in my Gcode.

am still keep trying and also same time hope Ultimaker can make a really stable firmware soon!

attached S3D Profile for UM3, please try and share 

S3d Profile for Ultimaker 3 (5.2.8 firmware)

best regards

I sent email to their local tech supporter, no reply at all, quite disappointing

9 hours ago, Jimbo965 said:

I followed the instructions to recover from the link below. Need to create a recovery image on microSD and plug it in the processor board and let it boot up. Then power cycle and recalibrate the print head swap position. I haven't done it before and it was pretty straightforward.

thank you so much

with the latest update, cura4 often failed to find the printer, hv to manually add it.
    the um3 app on both iphone and ipad is not working properly, not getting camera feed and always say that the printer is not in the same wifi network.
    resetting wifi config is not solving the problem.

In my first 2 posts as a new member of this group I indicated  that my UM3 was unusable after the 5.2 firmware update. That situation appears to be improving as I take steps that have been suggested here such as restoring factory defaults and resetting Cura connect. I am starting to realize that I am probably not at all qualified to make any critiques on this firmware as many of my problems appear to be related to my inability to keep my print cores unclogged and my filiment unkinked!  Anyway I was able to print continuously for over 24 hours without my printer locking up last night, and the printer was still faithfully printing air and supports after running out of PLA!   Thank you all for the posts and input during the last week!  

Tried to do the recovery process as per gr5's post initially just hung on Ultimaker logo, so reformatted and copied the image again, then it just seems to boot normally ignoring the sd card inserted. In desparation tried a factory reset. Now will not connect to wifi as per other posters after performing wifi setup. So i am left with a unusable printer, and still not a word from the manufacturer!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

It’s unfortunate to see this release has been causing issues for some users. Reported issues, including the ones in this thread have been all been noted and our firmware team is working on solutions as a priority.

A hotfix is being prepared that we will release in the upcoming days. So far, the contents of this will include:

• A fix for updating when the printer has no network connection
    • Extrusion issues with X/Y calibration procedure
    • Correcting incorrect screen orientation after reboot
    Edited by maht

Will this hotfix allow us to roll back to previous version which worked very well indeed?

18 minutes ago, maht said:

It’s unfortunate to see this release has been causing issues for some users. Reported issues, including the ones in this thread have been all been noted and our firmware team is working on solutions as a priority.

A hotfix is being prepared that we will release in the upcoming days. So far, the contents of this will include:

What about the problems with printing S3D files? That's a common problem in this thread...

24 minutes ago, Jimbo965 said:

What about the problems with printing S3D files? That's a common problem in this thread...

The S3D files not printing is an unfortunate problem. In order to improve print quality we added a warning when a print is started that was sliced for a different material / print core combination. The S3D slicer is missing these info fields in the gcode.

As I understand S3D has published an updated printer profile for the UM3. See the post below:

On 3/27/2019 at 3:44 AM, viola0083 said:

attached S3D Profile for UM3, please try and share 

S3d Profile for Ultimaker 3 (5.2.8 firmware)

MY UM3 went completely bricked after lastest firmware update

it shows ER18 message right after boot up, after the logo splash screen, the machine is completely bricked now since it cannot boot into normal screen menu. YES i know there are Normal ways to fix the ER18 message but they wont work this time, reconnecting the cable at the back of the core doesnt help.

It sounds like a software to me. and now i can do nothing about it

50 minutes ago, maht said:

will this also help resolve the issue of having NO network? or just allow an update without one?

55 minutes ago, itretail said:

Tried to do the recovery process as per gr5's post initially just hung on Ultimaker logo, so reformatted and copied the image again, then it just seems to boot normally ignoring the sd card inserted. In desparation tried a factory reset. Now will not connect to wifi as per other posters after performing wifi setup. So i am left with a unusable printer, and still not a word from the manufacturer!!

Ihv similar issue, but my screen was forever stuck on an error message ER18 after reboot, fail to get into menu screen. normal means to solve ER18 error doesnt work, it just stuck at an error message screen after the logo splash screen and i suspect it's the same firmware issue. I also did not get anything from my reseller yet and the printer is unusable. Struggling whether or not should i  try gr5's way to boot from sd card....(yet i cannot do so yet becuz there's no sd card slot on my mother board of my UM3, not sure if different batch of UM3 had different models)

13 minutes ago, CarloK said:
    14 minutes ago, CarloK said:

The S3D files not printing is an unfortunate problem. In order to improve print quality we added a warning when a print is started that was sliced for a different material / print core combination. The S3D slicer is missing these info fields in the gcode.

As I understand S3D has published an updated printer profile for the UM3. See the post below:

There is still some problem on attached profile,Tentatively it’s still not usable,However I think the most efficient way is UM publish a new version, but in fact it’s older, hazard- free version, and most important of all, its bees updateed via USB.

just my 2 cents

best regards

1 hour ago, maht said:

Glad to know someone is still monitoring, however, I think the most efficient way is UM publish a new version, but in fact it’s older, hazard- free version, and most important of all, its updateed via USB.

just my 2 cents

best regards

52 minutes ago, itretail said:

Will this hotfix allow us to roll back to previous version which worked very well indeed?

Purpose of the hotfix is to solve the most urgent problems so you shouldn't have to revert to the old version...

Reverting to the older firmware by using the SD-card install procedure should always work, this has nothing to do with a fix or change we made in the firmware.

The SD card installer procedure not working for you is strange.

- You do have an UM3, right? GR5's link to the image file is for an UM3 only.

- What type and size of SD card are you using? We always use 8Gb models. Perhaps you are using some new high capacity model?

For your WiFi connection problems, can you mail me the log files?

Please retry the WiFi setup procedure, and when this fails, then copy the log files to a USB stick. (use the 'Dump logs to USB' from the diagnostics menu.

You can send me a private message from the button at the top of my profile page.

32 minutes ago, ScanHD said:

will this also help resolve the issue of having NO network? or just allow an update without one?

This hotfix will allow updates for printers by means of a USB stick.

Regarding the network problems, can you dump the log files to a USB stick and email them to me? Send me a private message through the 'message'  button at the top of my profile page.