Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

Guest maht

Posted · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable

I finally managed to get it to roll back to 4.3.96, still no wifi connection possible, but i have now moved the printer to location where 

i can use network cable. Now struggling with active levelling and "distance between both print cores is unrealistic " issue. 

might try wifi later on but need to try to get it to print somehow or other first. have wasted far too much time already.

34 minutes ago, ultradryan said:

Ihv similar issue, but my screen was forever stuck on an error message ER18 after reboot, fail to get into menu screen. normal means to solve ER18 error doesnt work, it just stuck at an error message screen after the logo splash screen and i suspect it's the same firmware issue. I also did not get anything from my reseller yet and the printer is unusable. Struggling whether or not should i  try gr5's way to boot from sd card....(yet i cannot do so yet becuz there's no sd card slot on my mother board of my UM3, not sure if different batch of UM3 had different models)

The ER18 is an error for communication problems to the print head. Instead of re-attaching the cable, contact your reseller (as it says on our website ultimaker.com/ER18). Depending on production date of your printer there might be a permanent solution.

Regarding the SD-card slot, all our UM3 models have this. It is just a bit difficult to find. See the picture in GR5's article. You will have to remove the USB cable because the SD card connector is located underneath it.

1 hour ago, viola0083 said:

Glad to know someone is still monitoring, however, I think the most efficient way is UM publish a new version, but in fact it’s older, hazard- free version, and most important of all, its updateed via USB.

just my 2 cents

best regards

100% agree with that, in fact there should always be an easy way to revert to previous version for just this sort of issue. I think having to dismantle the printer to get back to working software is a major failing in Ultimakers processes. Having said that many thanks to gr5 and the community in general for helping, but the manufacturer (especially of high end products like this) should not rely on community help

to get its users out of problems it created.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, itretail said:

I think having to dismantle the printer to get back to working software is a major failing in Ultimakers processes.

+1 on this. I was very surprised to find there was no process to revert the firmware after this release. It smacks of hubris frankly - there is always a chance of bugs, even in an easier-to-maintain 'unified firmware' system.

Thanks for posting the hot fix Maht, it is comforting to know you are aware of some issues and are working on them.  I have a request on the UM3 menu navigation routine that would be really helpful to me.  Currently when the end of a menu is reached the list rolls back to the beginning as one keeps rotating.  Do to the sometimes sporadic nature of navigating with the encoder wheel I find it difficult  to navigate quickly up and down the menu structure.  Is there a way to NOT have the menu list roll over?  If one rotates to the right quickly it would stop at the last menu item, and rotate to the left and it would stop at the first menu item.  If the last menu item is "return" it would allow me navagate the menu structure much more efficiently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarloK said:

This hotfix will allow updates for printers by means of a USB stick.

Regarding the network problems, can you dump the log files to a USB stick and email them to me? Send me a private message through the 'message'  button at the top of my profile page.

done. thanks

29 minutes ago, N9ssham said:

Thanks for posting the hot fix Maht, it is comforting to know you are aware of some issues and are working on them.  I have a request on the UM3 menu navigation routine that would be really helpful to me.  Currently when the end of a menu is reached the list rolls back to the beginning as one keeps rotating.  Do to the sometimes sporadic nature of navigating with the encoder wheel I find it difficult  to navigate quickly up and down the menu structure.  Is there a way to NOT have the menu list roll over?  If one rotates to the right quickly it would stop at the last menu item, and rotate to the left and it would stop at the first menu item.  If the last menu item is "return" it would allow me navagate the menu structure much more efficiently. 

While the above post is slightly OT, I do agree that the rollover seems unnecessary. If the list was really long I can see the benefit but all of the menus are short and to be able to spin the wheel clockwise very quickly to return reliably to the previous menu would speed up navigation for me.

Here a question for Team ultimaker:

Is it possible in the next update to configure a possibilty for a backup on a USB-stick. If the update fails or some bugs show up that we can restore it to a state before the last update?

I believe the 5.2.8 on UM3 is also responsible for some NFC tags reported as corrupted :

On 3/28/2019 at 2:47 PM, tmostad said:

While the above post is slightly OT, I do agree that the rollover seems unnecessary. If the list was really long I can see the benefit but all of the menus are short and to be able to spin the wheel clockwise very quickly to return reliably to the previous menu would speed up navigation for me.

This is OT indeed. I will bring the suggestion to the attention of our User Interface designers. Another suggestion has been that holding the button for a longer time would return to the home screen (like some Android phones do). Changes to the User Interface are always difficult, since whatever change we make, there will always be people against it.

I have also been having endless issues with my um3 just after update.

When i go to calibrate XY, it says ER45 and a link to ultimaker. -Checking the link shows a broken page.

If i auto bed level this is what it does...

The nozels are 10mm away from the bed despite being correct when i manually adjust the bed.

I change the capacitive board thinking it was that and no change. It does print but only if i dont active level before hand.

On 3/29/2019 at 3:26 PM, cmeier38 said:

Here a question for Team ultimaker:

Is it possible in the next update to configure a possibilty for a backup on a USB-stick. If the update fails or some bugs show up that we can restore it to a state before the last update?

I added the request to our backlog. No guarantees, since there is a long list of competing feature requests.

26 minutes ago, Trueblondegod said:

When i go to calibrate XY, it says ER45 and a link to ultimaker. -Checking the link shows a broken page.

If i auto bed level this is what it does...

The nozels are 10mm away from the bed despite being correct when i manually adjust the bed.

For me the mentioned website link does work. http://ultimaker.com/ER45

Could you try the Active Levelling sensor test that was added to the v5.2 release in the diagnostic menu?

See the above website link for more info on actions to take, depending on the outcome of the diagnose test.

If all fails, report back here.

Hi, the link wasnt working as of last week.

But is now.

i started another thread on ‘er45 low sensor performance’ 

firmware = 5.2.8.20190320

the error message always come back as pictured... after diagnostics. (First two pics)

-got no reply from thread or resseler. Therefore i decided to Change the cap board and the result is the same. (As per the other thread )

I carried out the er45 stuff several times after an ultimaker member replied to my support message which was v good of them. They sent me the same info but on a different link. 

Ultimately it still does whats in the video upload time after time.

see resulting in the ‘differences between print cores exceed realistic values’. When the nozell is 10+mm away from the bed.

7FC938BF-2AF0-4AA1-91F5-56D4B8C5D333.jpeg

481FF287-C42E-4549-BF28-68C646A1BDBF.jpeg

8 hours ago, Trueblondegod said:

i started another thread on ‘er45 low sensor performance’ 

It's good you started a new topic for this issue since I don't think it is caused by the new firmware, except perhaps that we now show an error for edge cases that were problematic but ignored silently in the previous firmware.

Let's discuss further in the other topic.

On 3/28/2019 at 9:43 AM, maht said:

It’s unfortunate to see this release has been causing issues for some users. Reported issues, including the ones in this thread have been all been noted and our firmware team is working on solutions as a priority.

A hotfix is being prepared that we will release in the upcoming days. So far, the contents of this will include:

• A fix for updating when the printer has no network connection
    •  Extrusion issues with X/Y calibration procedure
    • Correcting incorrect screen orientation after reboot

Maht, is there any issue on the hot fix please?

out of curiousity, do people have any settings in their start gcode and ending gcode in machine settings?

I just don't know what the default is, and want to make sure nothing is a hangover from a previous install.

I have in my start G-code:

G0 Z10

G92 Z10

And End G-Code it says:

G91 ;Relative movement

G0 F15000 X8.0 Z0.5 E-4.5 ;Wiping+material retraction

G0 F10000 Z1.5 E4.5 ;Compensation for the retraction

G90 ;Disable relative movement

Ok, yay, another firmware bug.  Seems like a lot of bugs as it relates to nozzle height...

Anyway, for one of my files, I usually need to print with some support (PVA, Extruder 2, Core BB 0.4), but only use support touching the buildplate as opposed to everywhere.  After a failed print, I assumed my PVA had absorbed too much moisture as it didn't seem to have printed any on the build plate and I thought it was grinding.  I dried my PVA, and then started another print, same problem.  

When I watched it, I noticed that the problem wasnt that the filament was grinding due to moisture or anything like that - it was grinding because the nozzle was too close to the plate and not allowing for any extrusion to happen besides a super super fine layer that you couldn't see, but then did cause the filament to grind a bit and not advance.  

After a ton of troubleshooting, including another factory reset and Cura install for good measure, I thought I'd print one with extruder 2 PVA support everywhere - printed totally fine. 

I will have to try again printing with "touching build plate" only again to see after this current print finishes, but let me know if anyone has found this to be true for them as well.

Bobby

1 hour ago, bsaygan said:

nozzle was too close to the plate and not allowing for any extrusion to happen besides a super super fine layer that you couldn't see

Hi Bobby, in case you have an Ultimaker 3 and active leveling set to never, try a different option there. If it still prints too close to the buildplate, please check the capacitive sensor with the new diagnosis tool.

• Like 1

Maybe this is an information that helps not just Bobby:

Ultimaker seemed to have changed something in the logic of the active leveling frequency setting on the UM3.

Until firmware 4.3.3 the logic was that while "never" was selected, active leveling data from the last probing was still used for compensation. Since firmware 5.2.8, compensation is fully switched off while printing with the "never" option. So for those with an Ultimaker 3 and the leveling freqency set to "never" who have problems with the nozzle-to-bed distance, please make sure, you manually level the buildplate correctly or switch to a different leveling frequency settings like "every week".

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 10:30 PM, gr5 said:

It *is* possible to downgrade a UM3, @kevin-osborn, but it's difficult because the whole process changed in 5.2.  So if you are a version older than 5.2 it's easy to downgrade and if you are at version 6.0 (in the future some day) it should be easy to downgrade to 5.2 but no lower.

Anyway to downgrade across this boundary is more involved.

You need to remove the bottom cover and you need a micro-sd card and special software on your pc/mac/linux machine to create a boot partition on the micro-sd.  Versions you can downgrade to are listed here:

http://software.ultimaker.com/jedi/releases/

Process is here:

thank you, eventually I used this to recover my UM3 to previous version, after few days testing/adjustment /calibration

its officially back to life again this morning. 

next time don't just click (OK) when see new firmware update available. 

thanks again.

On 3/26/2019 at 1:49 PM, cmeier38 said:

I wanted to connect our printer (UM S5) from the Wifi connection to the newly installed Ethernet.
    For this I have deselected the Wifi and wanted to dial Ethernet. After a few seconds, the switch was reset to gray and no Ethernet connection was available. The Ethernet line was tested and used with other devices. Repeated attempts were unsuccessful.

Then I reset the Cura Connect settings. A wifi connection could be set up, but an ethernet connection could not be established.
    I've reset the Cura Connect several times to test whether the ethernet can be enabled without a wifi connection. That was also unsuccessful.

Finally, I reset the printer to factory defaults and repeated all previous tests to find out that I can no longer set up a Wifi connection. The menue stops at the Create Hotspot window. The progress bar has gone through to the end, but there is not a hotspot enabled, neither a message on the printer nor Wifi to find.

My guess is a firmware issue, because until yesterday and before resetting to factory settings, the Wifi connection was possible.
    I uploaded the latest firmware last week via Wifi. (Version 5.2.8.20190320)

Is there a way to replay the last working or a newer firmware?

When will there be a solution for these problems?

I cannot use my printer in the way I ordered it.

The customer service is not what I expect for such an expensive product!!!

Please provide a timeline when we can expect a hotfix or a downgrade solution.

Like the most users of a UM S5 there will not be any hobby work done with it. We use them for serious industrial developments.

Time is money, even in R&D.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Firmware 5.2 stable
    8 minutes ago, cmeier38 said:

When will there be a solution for these problems?

I cannot use my printer in the way I ordered it.

The customer service is not what I expect for such an expensive product!!!

Please provide a timeline when we can expect a hotfix or a downgrade solution.

Like the most users of a UM S5 there will not be any hobby work done with it. We use them for serious industrial developments.

Time is money, even in R&D.

+1, it has now been 2 weeks.

Even DM'ing Ultimaker staff gets no response.

Service providers are doing their best but have no news from Ultimaker.

What is going on?

Edited by piphil

I have to say I too am disappointed with the lack of updates. One of the main reasons i chose Ultimaker over Raise or my 1st 3d printer was their support seems to be second to none.

It appears my conclusion was misguided