Check your nozzle tip

owen

Posted · Check your nozzle tip

Hi all

I had a blocked nozzle today since just starting to print in ABS. I took apart my extruder which I hadn't done since getting the V2 nozzle upgrade when it came out.

I noticed the tip of the nozzle wasn't a nice round shape but didn't think too much of it.

I have been adjusting many things with some success to make ABS prints stick well but was struggling with some small parts. Then I thought I would run a file over the nozzle.

At first I overdone it as the metal is quite soft and then I finished off with wet and dry sand paper. I was taking a picture with my phone so I could zoom in for a good look at it.

The difference in the first print was chalk and cheese. It gave a perfect smooth Brim and really nice sides on a print of 2 prints in one go that previously were hard to get to stick and came out fairly ugly.

I get many fairly good prints but these difficult prints came out so much better.

So if you haven't checked in a while or having problems that you can't quite resolve check the tip of your nozzle to see if it is a nice flat circle.

• 1 month later...
    Posted · Check your nozzle tip

I recently 'fixed' my destroyed nozzle by grinding it down until the flaw went away, and then angled in the edges. Additionally I polished the surface to an almost mirror finish. Now my broken nozzle prints ever so slightly better than the original one. (at least at 0.06mm) haven't tried anything else yet.

gallery_7531_65_458580.jpg

Left (original) Right (fixed nozzle)

gallery_7531_65_79464.jpg

gallery_7531_65_7951.jpg

The only problem is my fan is too close to the build plate now since I loose a few mm grinding the nozzle down. but it works!

I sanded it down with fine sandpaper, then used my amazing machining skills with a drill and a pair of tweezers to cut the brass at an angle. You aren't kidding the brass is soft when chinese pot metal tweezers can lathe it. :p