Ultimaker2 information

peter-parnes

Posted · Ultimaker2 information
Hi Bill, yes that will be available.

We are thinking of a time-frame of several months, but that can still vary.

But you can be insured that it will be pre-build and calibrated.

That's good news!

Another question... Does the UM2 use the same standard filament as the original? 3 mm? PLA, ABS, Nylon, etc?

Hi Sander,

in this RTL-movie ( http://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/opmerkelijk/3d-printer-bezig-aan-een-flinke-opmars%20)%C2%A0I%20see%20an%20UM2%20for%20sale%20in%20a%203D-printer%20store!!%20How%20is%20that%20possible%20as%20it%20will%20be%20shipped%20starting%20next%20Monday%20??%20I%20have%20a%20company%20that%20will%20also%20go%20and%20sell%20the%20Ultimakers%20so%20does%20that%20mean%20I%20can%20also%20get%20them%20in%20advance??%20(at%20least%20one%20to%20show%20people?)

something went wrong ! continuatin of preious post.....

I see an UM2 for sale at a 3D-printer store!! How is that possible since the UM2 was going to be shipped starting next Monday??

I also have a company that is going to sell Ultimakers, so does that mean I will be able to get them in advance as well??

At least one to show people?

I now see what went wrong!

This is the proper link to the movie:

http://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/opmerkelijk/3d-printer-bezig-aan-een-flinke-opmars

It's probably a demo unit used for taking orders. That's pretty common in retail. They aren't actually selling that unit. They're just showing it to people. It's smart business to get a demo unit into the hands of your retailers/distributors prior to official release.

There are about 20 UM2 demo units going around the world right now. (Fun insiders fact, about half of those have been build by decommissioning most of our R&D machines for parts). All machines for actual sales are still here, in Geldermalsen NL.

Would it be possible to pick up a UM2 order at your HQ? I am from Germany, only a few hours drive away and I tought it might be nice to visit the mothership and say hi.

There are about 20 UM2 demo units going around the world right now. (Fun insiders fact, about half of those have been build by decommissioning most of our R&D machines for parts). All machines for actual sales are still here, in Geldermalsen NL.

Dont keep it in Geldermalsen send it now fill the world with theirs led-blue beautys....!!!!!

Would it be possible to pick up a UM2 order at your HQ? I am from Germany, only a few hours drive away and I tought it might be nice to visit the mothership and say hi.

No, we decided against this a long time ago, when there where still less then 10 people working at Ultimaker (about 25 now). For the simple reason that visits like this disrupt the normal flow of actions too much. I understand that people would love to get their hands on the UM2 as soon as possible, but having our HQ acting as a storefront will disrupt shipping for other people, as before we know it we would have visiting people every day.

You are always free to drop by our UltiEvening events (which are not held at the HQ), however, the one on Monday is canceled due to the overwhelming success of the UM2. And the next one will be in about 4 weeks after that, and I suspect yours has been shipped by then already.

Ok, good to know, thanks.

thanks for your answer Daid, even if it is not satisfactory. I hope the UM2's will arrive quickly so I can show people what you have been developing.

what is the material of the outer layer of UM2? wood, AL alloy or PVC?

Does anyone know about the fans that cool the nozzle on the UM2? I would like to retrofit them to my UM1 and document the results so others can also try the retrofit.

From looking at the schematics of the UM2, I can see that the fans are still driven by Vcc/2 through a low side switch for PWM control. I like the addition of the clamping diode. I added one to my UM1 when the darlington BJT driving the fan failed.

How big are the fans?

Are they 40 x 40 x 10?

Thanks for making great products and for your commitment to open source hardware!