Firmware 5.2.8 Update failed

PrintMan666

Posted · Firmware 5.2.8 Update failed

Hello, 

I try to update the Firmware from my Ultimaker 3.

After the printer download (over LAN) the Firmware, I got error message: "failed to verify firmware update"

Current Firmware: 4.3.96.20190313.

Try Update Firmware Update 5.2.8.20190320.

What can I do?

Greetz PrintMan

Please be careful, the FW 4.3.96 is an intermediate (step stone) firmware and not for printing!

You can get stuck in the "Remove your print" message if you print with this firmware.

I guess you have tried to redownload the firmware with the same result?

14 hours ago, Smithy said:

Please be careful, the FW 4.3.96 is an intermediate (step stone) firmware and not for printing!

You can get stuck in the "Remove your print" message if you print with this firmware.

I guess you have tried to redownload the firmware with the same result?

Yes, I got these message "Remove your print" after every restart. But I can print, also from directly Cura.

I tried upgrade more times. I have also reset the printer and try again with same result.

Posted (edited) · Firmware 5.2.8 Update failed

Same problem here, I got an S5 and an UM3 stuck at the intermediate firmware and the update to 5.2.8. fails during verification.

Could possibly happen anything bad if the current firmware is used for printing until this gets fixed?

Temporarily getting stuck at the "Remove your print" message would only be a minor inconvenience if a reset fixes it.

Edited by Brassn

I strongly recommend you do not update to 5.2.  I see so many problems with it.  It may be only 1% of people have problems but it appears to be more like 50% (really don't know) and I'd stay with the older version for another month or so.

Okay thanks for the advice, will do that.

Meanwhile I've read about the "Remove your print" loop on the forum regarding printing on the intermediate fw, which looks essentially like it's causing a brick.

Is it also advisable to revert to an older firmware? Is it even possible? Speaking mainly for the S5, the UM3 is not so actively used.

I'm not happy with the possibility that some random printjob might cause this loop.

I don't think "4.3" is the stepping stone version.  I think 4.3 is the old, normal, working version of firmware.  I think "4.9.X" is the stepping stone version that may have a bug where it can brick by getting into a mode where it constantly wants you to "remove the current print".  I could be wrong.

edit: correction - I was wrong.  4.3.96 is indeed a stepping stone version.  I would still be tempted to stick with that version for now until a newer version of firmware comes out.

Posted (edited) · Firmware 5.2.8 Update failed

Considering this info page the UM3 stepping stone version unfortunately is 4.3.96.

I hope we hear from UM soon regarding this issue.

Edit: Okay, I get it now.

From what I've read I can revert the UM3 on 4.3.96 to an older release via a USB stick easily using these files

http://software.ultimaker.com/jedi/releases/

since I'm still below 5.2. It should pop up in the menu. I will test this tomorrow.

Still not sure what to do about the S5 on its respective step stone firmware 5.1.93. Downgrade via USB stick is not intended as it seems.

Edited by Brassn

I download the LOG-Files from the printer. There I could see that the firmware verification is not valid while the FW signature is older than the current printer system date.
    later I will enable developer-mode and set the time to current date and try update firmware again.

Send you my results later.

Well after all I have read this firmware situation is beyond fricken ridiculous.

There is absolutely no reason for this and “if” it were an anomaly; which it is not, then an “easy” roll back should “always” be in place. 

For many these printers are a component of, it not their sole livelihood. The cavalier attitude and less than timely resolutions makes clear that after the sale support is far less important when compared to the seemingly never ending trades shows that the Ultimaker Team market within.

Come on Ultimaker; get your act together!!

Speaking of firmware; long ago I was assured that I would no longer be pestered with the relentless pop-up telling me that there is a newer version of Cura; how about resolving this too as it has long  passed the point of annoying.

Takes care

20 hours ago, Brassn said:

since I'm still below 5.2. It should pop up in the menu.

Guess what. It doesn't show up in the UM3 menu, although I am below 5.2. Both files (version 4.3.3) are on the USB stick. Only update via internet (Stable/Unstable) shows up.

Why does this have to be so hard? I only want to downgrade my UM3 to a fw that does not brick the printer whenever it feels like it.

@Brassn - I think the answer to your question is 2 posts above.

Setting the time manually via deveolper-mode as mentioned by PrintMan666, yes. But that only allows to update to 5.2, and after reading about the problems and your own advice not to update, I'd rather not like to do that.

I wish I'd seen this before accepting the firmware update.  Like others, I'm now stuck on the intermediate (not for printing!) firmware.

I espcially like this message on Ultimaker's firmware update page...

Note: USB updates are temporarily not supported.

Thanks, Ultimaker.  Thanks a lot.

this is absolute f**k up from ultimaker team.

stuck on intermediate update. -> printer is unusable!

How the hell th developers can be so miserable. 3600€ printer got firmware damaged. 

Someone has to be fired.

So the second step does not work for you when you try it again?

2 minutes ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

no! update from 4.3.96 to 5.2.8 doesn't work. try lot of times with same error message.

also restart or reset printer doesn't help!

Nope

I tried it multiple times. Tried resetting Cura Connect, which also restarts printer. Tried over LAN and over Wi-Fi. NOTHING!

Just sad!

I don't have time to play around to go back to previous firmware.

I question myself why did we spend so much money on a such inconsistent device, when we could buy Chinese printer and have same amount of hassle.

I assume you also tried it with a factory reset first?

Just now, Dim3nsioneer said:

yes

yes

Then you have indeed only the two options left to revert to 4.3.3 by using the above described sd card method or let your reseller do this for you or fix it otherwise.

hey everyone,

I talk to someone from ultimaker support. our printer is behind a firewall and lot of network ports are blocked. that mean that the printer is not able to request current time from internet.

tomorrow I will connect the printer to an open internet-connection without firewall. 

if this the solution I will inform you.

I one of you try before - please let me know if it works!

greetz