Jump to content
octopus2008

CURA on Chromebook-How?

Recommended Posts

Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?

I love CURA and recently I purchased a Chromebook x360 to run my 3D printer. I now realize that chromebooks are not officially able/supported to run CURA. Is there a way around this? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?

Not as far as I know. Cura is created to work as a desktop application. Porting it to web technology is going to be a pretty tough nut to crack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?

Hi,

I've been running Cura 4.0, now 4.1, for a few month on my HP Chromebook X2... just great.

- Download Cura AppImage, give it a simler name

- Run a chmod a+x Cura.AppImage (whatever short name you gave it

Done

 

To run : open a teminal, run "./Cura.AppImage"

 

PS : you might have to instal fuse prior, just can't remember when I installed fuse, might be standard now on latest chromeos.

 

May the Force be with you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?

Hi, just today I received a new Chromebook (Dell 5190) and I have run one of my Cura AppImages on it. As @Patrice says, you need to install fuse (do 'sudo apt-get install fuse') and make the Cura AppImage executable. It was a bit slow and the layer view was in compatibility mode but it definitely worked. I also installed an openscad AppImage and that works well so it would be possible to create models and slice all on the chromebook with no network connection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?

 

 

On 5/29/2019 at 1:00 PM, Patrice said:

Hi,

I've been running Cura 4.0, now 4.1, for a few month on my HP Chromebook X2... just great.

- Download Cura AppImage, give it a simler name

- Run a chmod a+x Cura.AppImage (whatever short name you gave it

Done

 

To run : open a teminal, run "./Cura.AppImage"

 

PS : you might have to instal fuse prior, just can't remember when I installed fuse, might be standard now on latest chromeos.

 

May the Force be with you.

 

Patrice - I was able to install the cura appimage on my chromebook, and it ran after being installed, but it did not create a shortcut to run again, how did you create a shortcut, or how do you run it?  

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?
5 hours ago, ramboton said:

 

 

Patrice - I was able to install the cura appimage on my chromebook, and it ran after being installed, but it did not create a shortcut to run again, how did you create a shortcut, or how do you run it?  

 

Thank you

Hi Ramboton,

Unfortunately, I could not setup a shortcut : you have to open a terminal and re-type ./Cura.AppImage everytime you start Cura.

I wish some linux skilled folk could post a solution for it.

Ideally, a shortcut could enable font size adjustment specific to Cura since font size are bsed on my chromebook screen def options, hence ridiculously small.

Same issue with KISSlicer that is just unusable for the same reason(even worse than Cura.

 

Any Linux expert around ?

 

MTFBWY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?

I installed fuse, and have cura downloaded, but it won't run. is there a package manager that you can get cura on or am I doing it wrong? And yes I did mark the file as Cura.Applmage

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?

Also here it will not run, on Pixelbook with stable 76. I get no message on the console, fails silently.

It used to run before, could it be something to do wit the new GPU support?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?

Cura on Chromebook update - with recent chrome releases, it is now possible for the Linux apps to use accelerated OpenGL and so now you get the full layer view functionality rather than being forced to use compatibility mode. It's really getting quite usable now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?

New Chromebbok user here, so apologies if this I'm going full newb but I tried the guide posted by @Patrice and ran into the following error:

 

chmod: changing permissions of 'Cura4.AppImage': Operation not permitted

 

I tried running sudo chmod a+x Cura4.appImage but just got the same error; any chance one of you knows how I could fix this?

 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?

I don't know but I suspect cura doesn't run on chrome os.  Anyway - are you sure you know the admin password?  To be safe do this:

 

sudo -s

 

Then you should have to enter a password.  Then make sure the prompt changes (ending with # instead of $).  Now do an "ls" command to make sure you are in the right folder:

 

ls Cura*

 

then if it's there do the chmod command.

 

Then to run it you do:

./Cura4.AppImage     (or whatever the file is called).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I gave it a go with sudo -s and while it did switch me to root with the # at the end,  when I tried chmod again I got the same error. If root doesn't have permission, which user would? I'm not sure where to go from here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?

I would ask on a google chrome forum how to change protection of a downloaded file to enable execution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?

Where did you put the Appimage? Make sure it is on the virtual machine itself, not on a shared directory.

 

11 hours ago, stan_sci_man said:

New Chromebbok user here, so apologies if this I'm going full newb but I tried the guide posted by @Patrice and ran into the following error:

 

chmod: changing permissions of 'Cura4.AppImage': Operation not permitted

 

I tried running sudo chmod a+x Cura4.appImage but just got the same error; any chance one of you knows how I could fix this?

 

Cheers!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?

Living proof that Cura runs on modern chromebooks. Performance is quite acceptable and all features are available.

 

1860257233_Screenshot2019-10-28at21_45_16.thumb.png.178696a50707c1bb33d9e10eae726e8d.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!