Sqeaking sound from extruder Bowden tube coupler

LePaul

Posted · Sqeaking sound from extruder Bowden tube coupler

I have a 2 hour print under way and I am noting the up/down squeak of the Bowden tube's "Quick fit coupler"

Everything seems intact just fine and printing is working fine....but that squeaking...!

You need one of these. It will also help your results when using retraction since it takes the play out of the bowden tube.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:22851

I tried to see if there was a version of it on Youmagine, but I went to the home page - and there is no search button!

edit-

I didnt want to link to Thingiverse again. I went to the YM home page and I was surprised to find no search button on the home page. I guess I was too easily discouraged so I went and found the link on Thingiverse. I did later find search from one of the secondary pages. It might be better you could search from the main page

Youmagine seems to be slowly getting up to speed

Thanks so much for that. I promised a friend I would print the Saturn 5 booster and wow, its printing great but a LOT of retracting for all the ribbing

Alas I can print a part I need...this is great! Thanks!

For mine, I am using a piece of heavy thread that's wound tightly filling the groove and tied off.

I printed several of those clips and they all broke within 2 weeks until I printed the zip tie version which works great for me.

Okay that's good to know. Thanks!

Well tonight I went to print that part and had a little catastrophe of sorts.

The Bowden tube popped out from the print head during the print. When I came to check on the print, I had a quite a sight!

I can't seem to get it aligned into the hole quite right while everything is mounted, so I may have to remove the print head assembly from the axes. Which makes me wonder if I may as well install the second print head since I have the kit. I may not use it right off, but while apart....why not?

>The Bowden tube popped out from the print head during the print.

Bummer. I'm thinking maybe your head is cooler than the UM is reading so you might want to raise temps by 10 or 20C next time. And/or slow down the print some more.

>I may have to remove the print head assembly from the axes

If you unscrew the brass nozzle, make sure to heat the head to 180C or so first and be very gentle. Brass is not very strong and many people have twisted it into 2 pieces. Not fun.

Yikes! Scary stuff....appreciate the heads up

Actually is was a great fix...I made the Bowden clamp part for the print head...but I haven't installed it since the clip and ip tie seems to have fixed the problem (for now!)

If you can print the part, its well worth it

I am using this one for several weeks now. Didn't have any problems so far:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:24363

A week later, no squeaking and the Bowden tube hasn't flown off the print head...!