condemil

Do not retract after print finish

Posted · Do not retract after print finish

I can see that Cura does retract at the end or print on the configured filament "Retraction Distance", in my case 2mm:

G1 F1800 X106.169 Y153.687 E584.0065

;TIME_ELAPSED:1079.318716

G1 F1800 E582.0065

It affects the next print as the filament is retracted and not sent back after retraction.

I know I can fix it by adding custom printer g-code but it is not gonna work as "Retraction Distance" is not the same for different filaments.

Is there a way to configure or fix that?

Isn't that one of the reasons that we print a skirt or brim ? Also, even if the retract didn't happen, your nozzle is going to dribble some filament out so it's always going to be a bit empty.

Brim helps, it just requires several rounds around of object if the object is small. I specified 0 retractions in each filament settings for now and do filament return in final g-code and don't see any downsides after I did that. You are right that dribble is there, but now it is less empty then before.

I have always printed a skirt or brim around my objects - it is no just retraction you have to manage but also pressure stabilisation within the feed/extrusion system. It is also beneficial to manually extrude filament before starting the print to ensure everything is flowing well; although I am not sure how easy that is to do if you are using Cura to do the printing; I normally extrude 30-50mm