New IPAD 3d scanner... Amazing or just good marketing ??

ian

• 4 weeks later...
Posted · New IPAD 3d scanner... Amazing or just good marketing ??

It is just a kinnect + iPad app - but based on newer sensors than the kinnect. They also own the Scanect app - the PC based 3D scanner for kinnect - so I do not doubt that they can finish.

Here is another very interesting 3D acquisition system - but for LARGE objects :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ikegps/spike-laser-accurate-measurement-and-modelling-on

The Spike is created from very experienced company that already makes a ton of Laser range finders. Check out their latest update videos where they create a 3D building and print it - from a single "Photo" with 3D data on it.

So if you are into large object modelling - Spike is they way. The iPad "kinnect" scanner is mostly for indoor use and smaller object.

It certainly looks like a pretty cool device. In addition to its own on-iPad software, it's going to have tie ins to Skanect so you can offload the heavy lifting to a dedicated Desktop GPU for reconstructing detailed scenes.

I'm one of the beta-level backers on Kickstarter, so I should get my hands on it in just a few weeks now, and I'll be sure and let y'all know how I get on with it.

I'm a beta backer as well - plus I backed the Spike.

I really hope Spike gets to $200.000 - then they will do point cloud - where you move the laser scanner around to get more details of the building.

I think it looks pretty awesome and if it turns out to be good then will definitely think about getting out.

But surely there are dangers with it, for example one can just 3D scan anything and then print it off even if the design doesn't belong to them. What's to stop someone going into a shop, scanning a lamp shade (or whatever) and then printing it at home. Surely that's against some form of copyright laws??

Yes, there's certainly a capability of infringing intellectual property rights, just as there is with 2D scanning of books, or even just simple photography of artworks etc. However, in practice the practical impact is likely to be limited given the current relatively poor state of additive manufacturing compared to more traditional processes and materials.

Bear in mind, also, that there are already plenty of relatively portable 3D scanning solutions; I'm not sure that the Structure sensor is massively changing the game in that regard - although it's definitely a nice looking next step in the technology's evolution. I also think that the potential benefits and useful applications of portable 3D scanning greatly outweigh any negatives or opportunities for abuse.