Heated bed for the Ultimaker 1

dree

Posted · Heated bed for the Ultimaker 1

Hi,

A few months ago I bought the Ultimaker, now I see there is the Ultimaker 2, pity but not a disaster, the only thing I wonder if there is a heated bed for the Ultimaker 1 available soon?

Groet Dree

• Replies 189
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The heated-bed kit for the UM1 will be made. I'm making sure of that. The heated-bed of the UM2 cannot be directly fitted in the UM1. But we learned a lot from the UM2 heated bed and we can re-use bits an pieces.

As the UM1 power supply is not really up to driving a heated bed directly it will most likely be a kit with a 2nd power supply. I officially cannot specify a price (as I do not set prices and have little view on the economics part of making kits) but I hope it will sell somewhere between 150 and 200 euro's. And will be compatible with the current UM1 electronics, just plug it in, load new firmware, and it works. (No soldering needed, as always)

Nice one Daid! :-)

Can't wait. Maybe my incorrectly ordered 2x reels of ABS could come in useful at some point hehe.

Do we have any idea on timescales? I appreciate it might be a bit early for that though.

I rather not give time scales, as people will be disappointed if we do not deliver in time. However, do not expect it in weeks, more in 2 months or so I guess. (The UM2 is still taking up a lot of manpower right now)

I really one one of this, I was almost assembling one but with the announce of the new version with heatedbed I decided to wait for the one from ultimaker.

I´m also highly interested and waiting...

@ Daid, suggestion regarding the PSU:

when delivering a second PSU, why not one capable to drive both - bed and UM?

At least as an option it would be a good idea because I think that there are guys like me who would like to have only one power line instead of two in parallel...

Just my two cents...

Cost wise it's most likely more effective to run two PSUs. If you replace the normal UM PSU you simply throw away the money for that PSU. Also, you would need some kind of splitter cable to split the single PSU power line to the UM electronics and the heated bed. (You cannot run the heated bed from the UM electronics directly, as the power connector and switch are not designed for those loads)

Finally, you would want to run the bed on 24V, as that's what we used in the new UM2. And the UM-Original electronics run on 19V, you can run them on 24V but you need to make some modifications on the board. (You will get awesome heaters with it, because running the stock 40W heaters of the UM1 at 24V gives an effective heater of 60W. Which might burn out quicker...)

Hi,

Thanks, I can wait a few months.

Sorry for my late reaction, I started this conversation but I’m on a ship, only internet connection in port.

Groet Dree

Ok, that sounds plausible :-)

So the UM2 has also 2 PSUs or is it working on 24V?

The new UM2 has one 24V PSU. I would email support for time scales. I would imagine they will be busy beavers getting UM2's assembled and shipped.

Hi Guys,

thanks for this topic! I am also 'in' for a heated bed on the UM1; can't wait :smile: !

The UM2 has a single PSU. A quite large one. The biggest we could get which was still certified to use in a consumer product.

(One of the things we are pondering about right now, is to include a "bed upgrade" with the heated bed. So you get the stable bed from the UM2 with the heated bed upgrade. Which increases reliability by requiring less bed-leveling. Would add a bit of cost, but for a huge gain)

(One of the things we are pondering about right now, is to include a "bed upgrade" with the heated bed. So you get the stable bed from the UM2 with the heated bed upgrade. Which increases reliability by requiring less bed-leveling. Would add a bit of cost, but for a huge gain)

I'm also waiting for the heated bed and I'd definitely buy such a "bed upgrade", cause it would fix my two main problems: warping because it is heated and "waves" after corners caused by the vibrations of the bed, which I hope would be gone with a more stable bed. Or is it just more stable in terms of less bed leveling?

Bed leveling is indeed sometimes a problem now so that would be a very much appreciated feature! Thanx in advance!

I'm also waiting for the heated bed and I'd definitely buy such a "bed upgrade", cause it would fix my two main problems: warping because it is heated and "waves" after corners caused by the vibrations of the bed, which I hope would be gone with a more stable bed. Or is it just more stable in terms of less bed leveling?

The bed also has stiffer springs. But if vibrations are an issue you might just get around by putting stiffer springs in there. I have my bed at home almost at on the wood, compressing the springs all the way, it makes it impossible to take the bed off, but does make it very stable.

We're very happy with this bed, it's easy to assemble, it no longer needs calibration after transportation, it looks great, it prints great, the glass is quite easy to take out. We do need to take a look how to properly put it in an UM-Original, as also replacing the Z motor might drive the cost higher then needed. But then we'll need to make some modifications at the bottom plate. There is also the issue with the end-stop. As the UM2 homes at the bottom, but with the Z-Coupler of the UM-Original the bed cannot get that low.

Daid,

I am definitely interested in this upgrade, even though I am currently in the process of putting my own heated bed together. How about the upgraded print head hot-end of the Ultimaker 2 for the Ultimaker 1?

Note, I've come to the attention that information that I'm spreading about possible future upgrades is used to contact sales&support about these possible upgrades, and requesting delivery dates for them.

Which resulted in me having a less pleasant conversation here at Ultimaker about me posting stuff like pictures.

Once again, everything I say does NOT, NOT, NOT mean that we'll do this for sure and that we're actively working on it. You should NOT contact sales&support on something I say.

Like this UM2 prototype with cows: http://daid.eu/~daid/IMG_20130717_164528.small.jpg, we won't be making UM2 with custom stickers, and you cannot buy the cow version. Ever. (Unless you offer a million for it, then I would be willing to part with this prototype, maybe)

@ Daid,

thank you for clarification - completely understandable... :-)

@ all,

I´m also trying to figure out how to built a hot bed for my UM.

As I mentioned a while ago, I would love to use only one PSU supplying UM and HB. Now I would be happy about your suggestion about this 330W PSU

http://www.ebay.at/itm/DELL-NETZTEIL-DA330PM111-ADP-330AB-19-5V-16-9A-Y90RR-330W-PSU-ALIENWARE-M18x-X51-/221290725547?pt=DE_Technik_Computerzubeh%C3%B6r_Notebook_Netzteile&hash=item3385f480ab

My plan is to mount a distribution box in the UM and connect it to the UM electronics and in parallel to the HB.

Do you think that might working?

For heating I´d like to use a silicon heating pad

http://www.ebay.at/itm/281073796785?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

As I´m not an electric engineer´ so I would be happy aboutn any hint I can get :-)

We do need to take a look how to properly put it in an UM-Original, as also replacing the Z motor might drive the cost higher then needed. But then we'll need to make some modifications at the bottom plate. There is also the issue with the end-stop. As the UM2 homes at the bottom, but with the Z-Coupler of the UM-Original the bed cannot get that low.

+1 for reworking the entire z-stage. I had much trouble with it, expecially with the brass nut not fitting properly into the holders which is a receipe for z-wobble. And considering the stats for this forum post (and the people who contacted me directly), I guess many others have problems with the z-stage too:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/2716-cannot-lower-bed-to-reach-endstop

I can not speak for others, but personally I'd rather pay more and have a kickass z-stage, heated bed and easier bed leveling than saving a few bucks.

So Daid is promising we can print out edible cat treats soon??

Just kidding!

I'm pleased to see there is very active development on the bed, with heating and better leveling. I think I spent more time getting the proper bed height/leveling than any other aspect of the kit build.

Now that I am getting good print outs in PLA, I am very excited about printing in other materials, which the heated bed will be a requirement

Note that we will be working on the heated bed for the UM1 soon. But currently we are ironing out a few minor production issues for the UM2. The UM2 release is a wild ride, and while production goes mostly smooth, there are still problems to fix to ensure everyone gets a high quality printer.

David, just a little remark on this matter. When you guys prepare the heated build addon _please_ don't make the mistake to produce too few. Prepare for high demand - just take the number of sold UM1 machines, divide it by 1, add a few percent margin error and then you'd have your production forecast :-P

Also will be looking forward to an enclosure kit or option.

David, just a little remark on this matter. When you guys prepare the heated build addon _please_ don't make the mistake to produce too few. Prepare for high demand - just take the number of sold UM1 machines, divide it by 1, add a few percent margin error and then you'd have your production forecast :-P

We're getting more experienced in this and how to ramp up production. But, work on the UM-Original heated bed has not started yet. We first had to solve an issue where the heated-bed connector was not properly secured on the UM2 which caused lose connections. (Issue with new production machines, the 5 sold in NY do not have this issue as they where hand soldered)

I have all kinds of tiny firmware stuff to fix, as well as finally finishing most of the Cura work for the UM2.

I'll keep you posted.