Heated bed for the Ultimaker 1

dree

Posted · Heated bed for the Ultimaker 1

Pheow, that heated print bed is a real investment. My earlier comment on the 1.5.7 electronics has been confirmed, so I am very curious what this means for people on older boards.

• Replies 189
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it was quite cheaper than i was expecting, i would have guessed for at least 100€ higher price, but i can tell you that this bed upgrade is just purely awesome, i have used one of the beta units for months and it makes the Ultimaker Original a fantastic printer! :)

Order placed! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One thing I'm a little worried about: With the original Z-stage it was important, that the Z-nut could move to compensate the wobble of the led screw. The nut on the new Z-stage seems to be screwed to the Z-stage, doesn't that make the whole Z-stage wobble?

Actually it was quite cheaper than i was expecting, i would have guessed for at least 100€ higher price, but i can tell you that this bed upgrade is just purely awesome, i have used one of the beta units for months and it makes the Ultimaker Original a fantastic printer! :)

I am fairly aware of what benefits a heated print bed should yield and the limitations of the current Z axis setup too, but out of curiosity: can you show specific examples of what you feel is gained?

Order placed! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One thing I'm a little worried about: With the original Z-stage it was important, that the Z-nut could move to compensate the wobble of the led screw. The nut on the new Z-stage seems to be screwed to the Z-stage, doesn't that make the whole Z-stage wobble?

I am fairly aware of what benefits a heated print bed should yield and the limitations of the current Z axis setup too, but out of curiosity: can you show specific examples of what you feel is gained?

Hi All,

On the support site you can download the manual, A lot of your questions will be answered i guess.

https://www.ultimaker.com/pages/support/manuals/ultimaker-original-manuals

For Dual extruder users, My Beta Kit came with a UM2 Powersuply. For dual extruder use, you don't use the included Loop cable, but connect your UM1 powersuply. So you use 2 Adapters.

Pheow, that heated print bed is a real investment. My earlier comment on the 1.5.7 electronics has been confirmed, so I am very curious what this means for people on older boards.

Right...

I still have a (very) old 1.5.3 which is working fine. If 1.5.7 is really mandatory it would be nice to have an upgrade pack with a naked 1.5.7 board.

Alternative is to get a cheap Chinese 1.5.7 board, but I am no too keen to do that..

yeah, how to upgrade from a version older than 1.5.7? Do I have to buy this:

https://www.ultimaker.com/products/arduino

or is this not enough and I need anything else?

Are there any hacks to modify the 1.5.6 version?

yeah, how to upgrade from a version older than 1.5.7? Do I have to buy this:

https://www.ultimaker.com/products/arduino

No, you only need the board, but I have not found the naked board in the shop, they only have the full monty (board + drivers + arduino)

Order placed, I'm so curious about the thing...!

No, you only need the board, but I have not found the naked board in the shop, they only have the full monty (board + drivers + arduino)

ah I see, you mean this:

https://www.ultimaker.com/products/electronics

overall it would be "a bit" expensive. Maybe the ultimaking guys already have a workaround?!

Yay, it's finally released :) I think you will all be very happy with the upgrade, it's a nicely put together little kit. Taking my time it took me less than 2 hours to assemble and mount. Firmware and other issues took a while longer but that should all be sorted out by now.

How can I see if my electronics are version 1.5.7?

overall it would be "a bit" expensive. Maybe the ultimaking guys already have a workaround?!

This is my main question now too. I believe on of the problems with older boards was the connector not being up to spec. If that is the only problem, I think that could be fixed by soldering another to the PCB. I am not too scared of that.

Going for the full monty is a little bit too crazy, it would probably be cheaper to sell off the current Ultimaker and get another from the shop.

How can I see if my electronics are version 1.5.7?

It is printed on the board, close to the on/off switch. You should be able to see it without taking the whole thing off.

I believe on of the problems with older boards was the connector not being up to spec. If that is the only problem, I think that could be fixed by soldering another to the PCB. I am not too scared of that.

this would realy be no big deal.

I guess/hope that there will be an official answer soon :)

Agreed. I am also on a 1.5.3 and it works fine. I already have a heated bed. So basically the z stage would be all I need/want. They should be able to do that for their "old" customer?

Any idea if they also offer the fan upgrade seen on the Ultimaker+?

Is that recommended as well?

Nice to see it is out!

The manual had be thrown a bit, I was reading Left, right, left right but see in Europe its reading Top, Down, (right side) Top Down.

I'd love to see some video of how the new and improved setup works

Firstly you have the much easier bed levling with the 3-point system, then the glass is really nice to print on compared to blue tape, the new Z-screw is not as prone to cause ripple, and a "feature" i like is that you can just take a finger, put it on the back of the platform near the bearings and push to move the platform down if you need to move the bed without power :p

The only thing i dont like is that you cannot easily make small adjustments like you can with the old Z-stage to the print height by turning the coupler if you realise that your first layer is too tight or too loose

The only thing i dont like is that you cannot easily make small adjustments like you can with the old Z-stage to the print height by turning the coupler if you realise that your first layer is too tight or too loose

Why not? As you mentioned there are three screws. I use them quite often on my UM2 for fine adjusting while printing a brim or a skirt.

Firstly you have the much easier bed levling with the 3-point system, then the glass is really nice to print on compared to blue tape, the new Z-screw is not as prone to cause ripple, and a "feature" i like is that you can just take a finger, put it on the back of the platform near the bearings and push to move the platform down if you need to move the bed without power :p

Thanks for your answer. The glass was already sorted, but easier leveling is welcome. A heated bed was planned, so I am having to justify the extra cost over a home built solution. A printer really is a tool to me, not just a hobby, and unfortunately that means that not every upgrade is viable. I need to make smart decisions with my money.

Do you have any comparison prints to drive the difference home? Improved bed leveling is something that should save a bunch of time (and therefore money), but being a visually oriented creature I would love to see some easy before and after pics :p

Those guides that were posted earlier do clarify a lot too, those are useful, although the focus on detail (obviously) means I am not sure how the two panels are looped together when all is said and done.

Why not? As you mentioned there are three screws. I use them quite often on my UM2 for fine adjusting while printing a brim or a skirt.

On the UMO you can just grab the z-coupler and give it a twist to easily raise or lower the bed a single motor-step. On the UM2/heated bed upgrade there is nothing to grab besides the z-screw which is greasy. And even if you do it's more difficult to adjust a single click because the holding torque seems to be higher on the new motor which leads to it often skipping more than one step.

Do you have any comparison prints to drive the difference home? Improved bed leveling is something that should save a bunch of time (and therefore money), but being a visually oriented creature I would love to see some easy before and after pics :p

Both types of platforms can be levelled perfectly, it's just easier on the new one. The only difference you would see between two prints is possible warp on the old bed and a shiny bottom vs a tape patterned bottom.

On the UMO you can just grab the z-coupler and give it a twist to easily raise or lower the bed a single motor-step. On the UM2/heated bed upgrade there is nothing to grab besides the z-screw which is greasy. And even if you do it's more difficult to adjust a single click because the holding torque seems to be higher on the new motor which leads to it often skipping more than one step.

The trick with the z coupler only works if you have the z axis disabled in the firmware while it is not used.

However, lowering or rising the bed with all three adjustment screws simultanously is not that difficult, is it?

Both types of platforms can be levelled perfectly, it's just easier on the new one. The only difference you would see between two prints is possible warp on the old bed and a shiny bottom vs a tape patterned bottom.

What about banding? I understand the new platform should help with that.

The old bed can be leveled fine indeed, it just takes a decent amount of time. Any reduction in the time it take to level, like this upgrade promises, is welcome if your hours are on the clock :) The TCO might actually be lower due to these kinds of things, despite the cost of the upgrade, depending on circumstances.

edit: This was directed to Dim3nsioneer, Zumfab snuck in between :)

No, it works with the z-motor engaged as well. With the motor off there's pretty much no resistance, with it on you get distinct "clicks" as you overpower the holding torque of the motor. The advantage of that is that you can easily lower or raise the entire platform in small increments. When adjusting the three screws you have to adjust.. well, three screws :)

just Ordered :-P :-P :-P

this would realy be no big deal.

I guess/hope that there will be an official answer soon :)

If I am not mistaken this upgrade works from 1.5.4 without problems. (Sorry 1.5.3 guys!)

Electronics from longer ago could also work, but a tweak in the firmware is required.

I am going to have someone from R&D confirm this..