Heated bed for the Ultimaker 1

dree

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Heated bed for the Ultimaker 1
If I am not mistaken this upgrade works from 1.5.4 without problems. (Sorry 1.5.3 guys!)

Electronics from longer ago could also work, but a tweak in the firmware is required.

I am going to have someone from R&D confirm this..

Can you please be more specific for 1.5.3. What kind of tweak would be required?

Is there a chance to get the z-stage only (without the heated bed?)

Can you please be more specific for 1.5.3. What kind of tweak would be required?

Is there a chance to get the z-stage only (without the heated bed?)

I'll have to check for 1.5.3, not sure what's different on 1.5.3 compared to 1.5.4, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would work on 1.5.x

I'll give a definitive update on this on monday.

As for manually turning the Z screw. With the stable bed, this is no longer really needed, as it stays properly adjusted.

If anybody is interested in just the improved z-stage, Ill gladly split the deal,

I just want the heated bed and electronics/power supply, I can't use the z-bed stuff :)

let me know we can split the cost

and can probably ship it cheaper too :)

If I am not mistaken this upgrade works from 1.5.4 without problems.

Sander, thanks for the news. I've just ordered one :)!

I'll have to check for 1.5.3, not sure what's different on 1.5.3 compared to 1.5.4, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would work on 1.5.x

Great news. You might want to change the statement on the website that lists 1.5.7 as a requirement, people will get all confused and sad :p

Does the wooden back piece have a function? Other than showing off the name brand, of course :p

Does the wooden back piece have a function? Other than showing off the name brand, of course :p

and push the upper z switch, besides looking nice;)

and push the upper z switch, besides looking nice;)

I am rather partial to the somewhat industrial look without the wooden piece, that is why I ask. Tripping the Z switch at the right time is something to take into account, I missed that. I need to ponder the options there.

@Zumfab: Martijn made something for that during the test phase:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/z-stop-trigger

I also made something but it was bulkier so I wont post it :) (I haven't tried the solution above though, but I'm sure it works fine)

I also made something but it was bulkier so I wont post it :) (I haven't tried the solution above though, but I'm sure it works fine)

Yes, that solution works fine. We've ran it for months, as the wooden backplate was something added in later revisions.

@Zumfab: Martijn made something for that during the test phase:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/z-stop-trigger

Nice one! That saves me a little trouble there and is a lot more subtle than what I was considering.

You don't happen to know a good mounting for a Full Graphic Smart Controller, do you? :D That was the other item I wanted to tackle. Maybe that is better reserved for another topic.

So I have a quick question about how the new Z Stage works. I purchased the upgrade kit at Maker Faire NY and have just finished assembling it, however I cannot see any way that the lower Z limit switch can be pressed by the new Z stage. Am I missing something or has the lower limit become redundant? Thanks!

Beside the mechanics, could someone post some electrical data of the HB too??

Resistance of heater, PSU power and voltage, time to heat to e.g. 60/100 degree...

Woud be interesting for comparison and deciding if to replace my home built version...

Resistance of heater, PSU power and voltage, time to heat to e.g. 60/100 degree...

Woud be interesting for comparison and deciding if to replace my home built version...

This.

It's here!

Heated Bed Upgrade Kit

Not sure if I'm going to have a chance to build it until next week though.

Mine too! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

IMG 20141003 175019[1]

IMG 20141003 175639[1]

Arrived, assembled and tested yesterday. :cool:

Lovely, smooth bottomed ABS prints :D

UM1 Heated Bed Upgrade

I'm so jealous

I've been so anxious and excited to see this upgrade happen....but was just laid off from my job of 7 years :(

Looks like it will be a while for me...but i look forward to seeing and hearing about how well this works for you guys

Well I didn't have time this weekend to start assembling the upgrade kit but I did get chance to paint the wooden parts to match the rest of my Ultimaker. The extruder gears are not part of the kit, they were just some spares I lasercut a while ago and haven't painted either.

Painting the wooden parts of the heated bed upgrade kit

Time till 75C is about 5 minutes I think. PSU is 220W. Heated bed is 24V 120W I think. All the same parts as in the UM2.

hey guys just wanted to say that i am super stoked on this kit! i just built it and it works!

couple problems though.

1. I keep getting a "min temp" error upon start up, but it works once you start printing

2. the z stage has problems holding position (it slips 3/4 of an inch during prints randomly

- i assume this is because that little cylinder at the bottom of the old zstage is no long being used, and there is nothing to hold the z stage's weight besides the force of the motor

or is it possibly unaligned bearings?

Hmm.. 5 mins isn't too bad for a heat up time I suppose. My current home-built solution is 300watts so it heats up to 70 degrees in just ove a minute... However I've bought the upgrade kit (and have it sitting under my desk awaiting install on the weekend) mostly for the 3-point levelling and improved z-stage. There are some features of my solution that I'm going to miss like the redundant over-heat cut-off sensors and the led light that indicates when the bed is hot (even with power off)... but I'm looking forward to trying the 'official' implementation. My current heated bed is aluminium with kapton tape... which is actually quite a pain in the but. The glass surface seems to be a better option.

Cheers,

Troy.