Heated bed for the Ultimaker 1

dree

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Heated bed for the Ultimaker 1

It should. UM uses about 70 watts while printing plus 100 watts for your heated = 170 watts. So 330 watts is well over that so that's a good thing. I'm not sure that Heater will be real quick though.

• 1 month later...

Hej Daid,

I'm also looking forward to a heated bed solution for my UM1. I can't get rid of the warping effect, although I tried most of the proposed solutions. :(

I hope you have the time to take care of that upgrade as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot!

I rather not give time scales, as people will be disappointed if we do not deliver in time. However, do not expect it in weeks, more in 2 months or so I guess. (The UM2 is still taking up a lot of manpower right now)

Daid,

It's two months later.... :wink:

Already busy with it? Plans?

Groet Dree

I thought I would revive this thread a little...

What's the word on updates/upgrades for the original Ultimaker?

With the release of the UM2 and its native support for a heated bed and other features, I am in hopes new stuff is pending for the Original?

I would really really like to retire the Painter's Tape and rubbing alcohol !

Me too!

I was already enthousiastic when i saw that the site was down for maintenance. But it seems you guys have forgotten to add the heated bed / buld platform upgrade to the shop! :-)

In another thread (in dutch)

Sander says

'"Wij gaan zelf onze officiële heated bed binnen enkele maanden uitbrengen"

The official Ultimaker heated bed will be released in a couple of months.

I remember someone from Ultimaker (I can't remember if it was Daid or Sander) having written here in the forum that if they bring a heated bed for the UM Original it has to be an upgrade kit with parts that extend or even replace existing parts. So they have to design new parts, manufacture them and test them. This takes some time.

When I asked Ultimaker support about the time of the release (last autumn) they told me second quarter of this year. I could imagine there is even a delay as they were quite busy with improving the UM2.

Of course there is an alternative for impatient people (like me... :wink: ): Build your own heated bed...

Would love to build me own, but with so many options where do you start? Linking it into the ultimaker seems the best way but does anybody have a definitive shopping list if i want to go down the silicon mat heater option.

If it is going to be early part of this year than i will probably wait.

Would love to build me own, but with so many options where do you start? Linking it into the ultimaker seems the best way but does anybody have a definitive shopping list if i want to go down the silicon mat heater option.

If it is going to be early part of this year than i will probably wait.

Well that's my thought too.

Even if it doesn't plug in directly to the UM, if known-good device exists we can add to our machine, I'm all for using it.

Well I gave up waiting - and based on past performance of support, random software support and UM2 delivery time - my UM1 will be replaced with a Zortrax M200.

I ordered the Zortrax M200 on the 14th January - and it shipped yesterday with DHL from Hong Kong.

I would really really like to retire the Painter's Tape and rubbing alcohol !

It is worth trying some of the other solutions while we wait - having watched Peter's video on using PVA on a cold glass build plate I have used it a lot - with PLA mainly. Sometimes I pre-heat the plate a bit with a hair-dryer just left on low the glass for a minute while the nozzle heats up and then print the first layer hot and slow.

I don't even tram hard as I don't like elephant's feet on the bottom of my models.

While it has taken some trial and error it seems to be working well for me for a variety of shapes - I print architectural models that fill the build plate, and are a mix of flat and tall. Tall are more of a challenge but the warping is low enough even on these to be tolerable.

For small decorations it works a treat!

Does not work for Colorfabb XT - but with a small 'fooler' for the limit switch means that when I need painters tape I just pp off the glass, take off the 'fooler' print on tape, then swap back for the next item!

I made a small video with a demo.

James

It's now 6 months since Daid said he'll make sure the heated bed for the original Ultimaker will be made and that we could expect it in about 2 months or so....

Could some one at Ultimaker PLEASE tell us if your still working at it and maybe tell us a new (and more realistic) estimate when it will be avilable?

I completely understand, that you guys were busy with the UM2, but I think it's about time you do something for the owners of the original now. After all, it was their money who made development of the UM2 possible!

It's now 6 months since Daid said he'll make sure the heated bed for the original Ultimaker will be made and that we could expect it in about 2 months or so....

Could some one at Ultimaker PLEASE tell us if your still working at it and maybe tell us a new (and more realistic) estimate when it will be avilable?

I completely understand, that you guys were busy with the UM2, but I think it's about time you do something for the owners of the original now. After all, it was their money who made development of the UM2 possible!

Im starting to suspect that this "um 1 will be supported no matter what and heated bed is #1 priority" talk was just to help them get rid of um1 stock.

Im starting to suspect that this "um 1 will be supported no matter what and heated bed is #1 priority" talk was just to help them get rid of um1 stock.

Well, we have to consider that UM is still a relatively small company and that they have a lot of things to work on for the UM2 (e.g. to shorten the lead time). They never gave a fixed date (that thing with the two month is more interpretation here on the forum than a statement by Daid) when a heated bed kit for the UM1 would be available. Up to know, they still sell exactly the same machine as last autumn, so there is no clue to doubt on the heated bed kit being no. 1 priority for the UM1.

Personally, I prefer that UM fixes existing issues first before they produce some new kit which might cause other issues. I guess they will somehow bundle the heated bed with other improvements such as the 'UM2 electronics' in the UM1. This makes sense as new UM1s will be delivered with a heated bed at some point. The two things are connected as a heated bed e.g. makes a new power supply necessary. A heated bed is not something you design just on a sunny afternoon. N.b.: I built my own heated bed for the UM1.

If it would be my decision, I would announce the heated bed kit very shortly before begin of delivery as inpatient people (and believe me, I belong to this category too) would want to have it immediately.

I had a twitter conversation with the UM guys. Looks like the ETA of the UM1 heated bed is July.

Heated Bed Twitter

Damn... I finished my homebuilt recently... :-)

Damn... I finished my homebuilt recently... :smile:

ETA = estimated time of arrival... ;)

:-)

Guys,

I found the holy grail of printbeds: it's the PEI plastic. Here's a sample image - it's a 5 cm tall, relatively thin object from ABS, printed on a heated bed which was covered my a 2 mm PEI sheet:

ABS-on-PEI.JPG

You won't need stinky ABS juice or hairspray anymore. You can order it from reprapsource. It seems expensive but I think it worth every penny to print ABS without kapton/juice/hairspray.

But you still need to head the bed, don't you? How is it to get the print away from the bed afterwards?

But you still need to head the bed, don't you?

copied from the link in fns720s post:

PEI plate 214x214:

This is a reusable print surface suitable for MK1/MK2 heatbeds made out of PEI plastics.

The textured print surface side adheres to ABS and PLA when heated.

Can anyone find a US source? I remember searching for this on Mcmaster a few months ago, the closest thing is a 12"x12"x3/32", which is $45... not sure if it is textured either.

Just downloaded Cura 14.07 and during setup it asked for machine type (UM1) and if it was fitted with a heated bed kit or heated bed homebuilt.

Does this mean the kit is imminent?

Colin