Retraction speed has no effect

Stratos

Posted (edited) · Retraction speed has no effect

Hey guys, hope you are all doing well. "First" time Ultimaker Cura user here. It is way simpler than what I was used (repetier host), but the default settings turned out way better than my heavily edited slic3r from repetier prints.

But I came across 2 problems (I have to test one to make sure). So the one I would like to get rid of now is this. Changing the retraction speed has no effect on the actual retraction. It is still the same speed no matter if it is 40mm/s or 120mm/s, it is always slow compared to slic3r (where I had 60mm/s). So, how do I "repair" it? How can I make it retract faster (because now it kinda waits for it to retract)?

Thanks in advance 😉.

P.S.: I guess that I am using the latest Cura as I downloaded it on Saturday.

Edited by Stratos

Posted · Retraction speed has no effect

Thanks for the file. I sliced it and looked at the gcode and the retractions are happening at 60mm/S and then I changed the retraction/prime speed to 40mm/S and the gcode changed as expected so I really don't know why you are seeing the behaviour that you are.

This image shows the retraction speed in the gcode to be 2400mm/min = 40 mm/S which is what it should be.

Screenshot_2019-04-23_23-02-33.thumb.png.f3ab4bfcd52d786c22d114b3c3b1d45e.png

Any other help then? What might can cause it?

Perhaps the extruder acceleration and/or jerk has been set very low? I don't think Cura does that.

2 hours ago, smartavionics said:

Perhaps the extruder acceleration and/or jerk has been set very low? I don't think Cura does that.

I am using default marlin. How do I "repair" it then.

Edited by Stratos

Sorry, I don't use Marlin so I can't help you there.

16 hours ago, Stratos said:

Well, no matter what, it won't go faster then it's "default" speed (which is the 25 mm/s). I don't know what to do. It is seriously anoying.

short question:

Where do you see a 'default' retraction speed and how do you know that it is set to 25 mm/s? Is this related to Cura or is it a firmware setting?

8 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

short question:

Where do you see a 'default' retraction speed and how do you know that it is set to 25 mm/s? Is this related to Cura or is it a firmware setting?

Extra fast - 0.3mm > Material >Retraction speed - 25 mm/s
    It is in Cura.

/**
     * Default Max Feed Rate (mm/s)
     * Override with M203
     *                                      X, Y, Z, E0 [, E1[, E2[, E3[, E4]]]]
     */
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE          { 300, 300, 5, 25 }

The above is from Marlin configuration.h

It seems Marlins default max feedrate limits the extruder tp 25mm/s

Try sending A M203 E50 and see if it allows you to go faster.

Edited by obewan

On 4/24/2019 at 4:41 PM, obewan said:

The above is from Marlin configuration.h

It seems Marlins default max feedrate limits the extruder tp 25mm/s

Try sending A M203 E50 and see if it allows you to go faster.

That did the trick. Thank you.