Ultimaker 3 display broken after firmware upgrade

c64_beep

Posted · Ultimaker 3 display broken after firmware upgrade

It seems the logs get blown out when the machine is power cycled? I tried to transfer them over to USB but it was just a bunch of json, no text log files.

I can run a few more prints until it happens again and then post them.

11 hours ago, chase_c said:

It seems the logs get blown out when the machine is power cycled? I tried to transfer them over to USB but it was just a bunch of json, no text log files.

Unless you do a factory reset, the logs should still be available after a power cycle as far as I know. 

4 hours ago, SandervG said:

Unless you do a factory reset, the logs should still be available after a power cycle as far as I know. 

I have not done a factory reset since the last time I saw the error. I am currently waiting for the issue to present itself again so that I can attempt to gather the logs again.

A few questions off the top of my head:

• Are there different levels of verbosity that would be more appropriate to effectively debug the issue? 
    • Am I correct in my understanding that a portion of the functionality of the machine is written in Python and is visible to end users?
    • Is the wifi codepath visible to users for inspection?
    • Being this has been looked at for over a year, is there an known section of the codebase where this issue is believed to be?

@chase_c - first know that this is rare.  My UM3 doesn't do this but that means nothing as I don't use wifi.  There are lots of people out there that don't have this problem.  Including all the UM3s at Ultimaker I'm sure.

All related code is in python and is visible.  Or it is part of the linux operating system.  Put your UM3 in "developer mode" and you can ssh to the printer.  Username "root"  password "ultimaker".  Are you familiar with ssh?  Are you familiar with linux?

You can google about wifi settings.  You can update the wifi driver (but that will get lost the next time you update UM3 firmware).  The problem may however be in the python code somewhere.

Python code is not compiled.  It's all visible.  Comments and code and everything is all visible.

Unfortunately the firmware is not published on github so you can't see recent and proposed changes.  That's too bad.  Cura is completely open source and you can see what features are coming out and developer's thoughts on various bugs but this doesn't exist for UM3/S3/S5.  There is this one sub part of the UM3 firmware though which might be related?

https://github.com/Ultimaker/connman/issues   (conman is related to network settings and wifi)

4 hours ago, gr5 said:

@chase_c - first know that this is rare.  My UM3 doesn't do this but that means nothing as I don't use wifi.  There are lots of people out there that don't have this problem.  Including all the UM3s at Ultimaker I'm sure.

All related code is in python and is visible.  Or it is part of the linux operating system.  Put your UM3 in "developer mode" and you can ssh to the printer.  Username "root"  password "ultimaker".  Are you familiar with ssh?  Are you familiar with linux?

You can google about wifi settings.  You can update the wifi driver (but that will get lost the next time you update UM3 firmware).  The problem may however be in the python code somewhere.

Python code is not compiled.  It's all visible.  Comments and code and everything is all visible.

Unfortunately the firmware is not published on github so you can't see recent and proposed changes.  That's too bad.  Cura is completely open source and you can see what features are coming out and developer's thoughts on various bugs but this doesn't exist for UM3/S3/S5.  There is this one sub part of the UM3 firmware though which might be related?

https://github.com/Ultimaker/connman/issues   (conman is related to network settings and wifi)

Thanks for the info. I’m familiar with Linux and can revert to 4.3.3 and cp the source directories to the SD, then diff them against the latest source. If they are putting the WiFi card in a different opmode this may get really black box.

I understand I’m experiencing an edge case that most don’t, but I didn’t get to pay less than everyone else for my printer. Bummer.

If UM refuse to fix it the least I can do is take a look.

No need to copy to USB flash drive.  You can use scp to copy the whole directory structure directly to your primary computer.  I guess copying to USB should be easy enough.  Use "df" command to list all "disks".  One of those should be the USB flash drive.  I never tried this but it should work.  Use google to find linux commands to copy entire directory trees.

scp on your main pc can copy a whole directory tree to your current computer.  Syntax is like this:

scp root@192.168.1.47:/some/folder/paths/ .

It will prompt for root password.