SOLVED: Cura was fine but now won't open without external monitor

bugsysiegals

Posted (edited) · SOLVED: Cura was fine but now won't open without external monitor

Cura was working fine on my laptop then stopped opening unless I have my monitors connected.  I updated drivers which did not solve.  Then I got a crash report which allowed me to reset the application settings/plugins and it began working again.  Days later, I'm back to not being able to open again.  Is it a plugin causing this?   How do I fix it?

Fatal Python error: Segmentation fault

Current thread 0x00002b40 (most recent call first):
  File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\View\GL\OpenGLContext.py", line 29 in setContext
  File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\View\GL\OpenGLContext.py", line 104 in detectBestOpenGLVersion
  File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Qt\QtApplication.py", line 129 in initialize
  File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CuraApplication.py", line 309 in initialize
  File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Application.py", line 212 in run
  File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\UM\Qt\QtApplication.py", line 287 in run
  File "X:\4.0\build\inst\lib\python3.5\site-packages\cura\CuraApplication.py", line 692 in run
  File "X:\4.0\build\inst\bin\cura_app.py", line 132 in <module>
  File "Console.py", line 24 in <module>
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 634 in _load_backward_compatible
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 664 in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 958 in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 969 in _find_and_load
  File "__startup__.py", line 12 in <module>
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 634 in _load_backward_compatible
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 664 in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 958 in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 969 in _find_and_load

Edited by bugsysiegals

Posted · SOLVED: Cura was fine but now won't open without external monitor

The last lines in the log file after what seemed like normal gcode commands.

2019-04-29 07:02:44,363 - DEBUG - [Thread-17] UM.Backend.Backend._backendLog [101]: [Backend] [WARNING] There are empty layers (or layers with empty extruder plans) in the print! Temperature control and cross layer travel moves might suffer.
    2019-04-29 07:02:45,265 - DEBUG - [MainThread] CuraEngineBackend.CuraEngineBackend._onSlicingFinishedMessage [652]: Slicing took 4.039858341217041 seconds
    2019-04-29 07:02:45,266 - DEBUG - [MainThread] CuraEngineBackend.CuraEngineBackend._onSlicingFinishedMessage [653]: Number of models per buildplate: {0: 4}
    2019-04-29 07:02:45,266 - DEBUG - [MainThread] CuraEngineBackend.CuraEngineBackend._onSlicingFinishedMessage [667]: See if there is more to slice...
    2019-04-29 07:02:45,269 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.Backend.Backend._logSocketState [195]: Socket state changed to Closing
    2019-04-29 07:02:45,271 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.Backend.Backend._onSocketError [217]: Socket debug: Arcus Error (13): Closing socket because other side requested close.
    2019-04-29 07:02:45,273 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.Backend.Backend._logSocketState [197]: Socket state changed to Closed
    2019-04-29 07:02:45,297 - DEBUG - [MainThread] CuraEngineBackend.CuraEngineBackend._onBackendQuit [811]: Backend quit with return code 0. Resetting process and socket.
    2019-04-29 07:02:46,860 - INFO - [Thread-7] SliceInfoPlugin.SliceInfoJob.run [29]: Sending anonymous slice info to [https://stats.ultimaker.com/api/cura]...
    2019-04-29 07:02:47,329 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.Controller.setActiveStage [159]: Setting active stage to MonitorStage
    2019-04-29 07:02:48,773 - INFO - [Thread-7] SliceInfoPlugin.SliceInfoJob.run [33]: Sent anonymous slice info.
    2019-04-29 07:02:51,927 - WARNING - [MainThread] UM.Qt.QtApplication.__onQmlWarning [352]: file:///C:/Program Files/Ultimaker Cura 4.0/resources/qml/RoundedRectangle.qml:68: TypeError: Cannot read property of null
    2019-04-29 07:02:52,975 - DEBUG - [MainThread] OctoPrintPlugin.OctoPrintOutputDevice._onRequestFinished [721]: Resource created on OctoPrint instance: http://192.168.2.5:80/api/files/local/CE3_FestoolStop_MftBlock.gcode
    2019-04-29 07:02:58,269 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.AutoSave._onTimeout [48]: Autosaving preferences, instances and profiles

7 hours ago, bugsysiegals said:

Is it a plugin causing this?   How do I fix it?

It is not a plugin causing this, it is a conflict between your GPU(-drivers) and Cura.

I think you can get Cura running again by pressing (and releasing) the windows key, typing (exactly, without the quotes) "%APPDATA%\Cura\4.0" followed by enter, and then editing the file named "cura.cfg". From the [general] section, remove all lines that start with "window_"

I tried this but no luck ... I do not even get the splash screen to open and tell me it's loading plugins, etc.  Very strange it worked fine, quite, then worked again after reset, and now isn't working again ... seems many other people have posted similar issue ... has me puzzled how it can work and not work.

FWIW - I made a backup of my .cfg file and overwrote the original with the one from the zip file which is in the Cura folder, assumed this was new install but it had Octoprint info so perhaps some backup, but this didn’t work. Is there a “new” .cfg somewhere to test or should removing window_ have fixed it?

What if you remove the cura.cfg altogether?

Good idea but unfortunately it did not open and did not recreate the file.

Are you sure it's with the GPU and not Python?

FWIW - I'm on a HP ZBook 15 G3.  It has Intel HD Graphics 530 and NVIDIA Quadro M1000M display adapters both with current drivers.  Running Windows 64 bit OS.  As previously stated, Cura worked fine, didn't work, worked fine, and now doesn't work on built in display but will work with monitors connected.

Can you force Cura to run on the Intel or on the nVidia GPU? Does the same problem occur with both GPUs?

I’m not a computer hardware expert but AFAIK one GPU is for the laptop display and one is for external monitors ... perhaps I’m wrong.  I’ve no idea how to force an app to use a different GPU but would be willing to try if you know how.

Posted (edited) · SOLVED: Cura was fine but now won't open without external monitor

Please check if this guide will allow you to run Cura with either the Intel or the NVIDIA gpu:

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/force-app-to-use-dedicated-gpu-windows/

Edited by ahoeben

Thanks for your suggestion.  I wasn't able to enable the context menu to choose the GPU for Cura but did find an application section which allowed me to add Cura and tell it to use the high end NVIDIA GPU which worked!!

Solution:

- Right click on the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel

- Select Manage 3D Settings link

- Select Program Settings tab

- Select Add and browse to the Cura.exe ... Ex. C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.0\Cura.exe

- Select High-Performance NVIDIA processor

- Hit Apply

Edited by bugsysiegals
    • Like 1

same problem, i tried this way too but it doesnt work

i already try & uninstalled v 4.4, 4.5, there is a lot of bug omg...

return to 3.4 ☹️

Edited by reneose

Are you having the same issue with being able to open it using an external plugged in monitor but just not on the laptop without monitor connected?

I just opened NVIDIA Control Panel and I see under Manage 3D Settings Program Tab a drop down for "1. Select a program to customize".  I have 2 entries for Cura in the drop down ... 4.2 and 4.5.  Both entries have "High-performance NVIDIA processor" selected from "2. Select the preferred graphics processor for this program."  Perhaps you only selected this setting for 3.4 or didn't add an entry for 4.4, 4.5, etc.?