Tipps & Tricks needed to disassemble the printercable for UM3 ext for replacement

Posted · Tipps & Tricks needed to disassemble the printercable for UM3 ext for replacement

Hi there,

since I used too much lubrificant on the topside of the metal rods I kinda ruined the headboard that is responsible for heating/cooling and so on. It wasn´t ruined all the way but enough to make my prints ugly... I think some of the connectors were shorted because of the oil...

Now I got some replacements but the printhead cable doesn´t seem to be an easy replacement.  So I am asking some of you if there is a video or some important explanation out there as to what screws to unlock in order to replace that cable. I don´t want to mess around with the encasing in order to creat more problems than to solve buth the cable runs through a cable canal which isn´t secured with screws and a the bottom there is a plastic cover that is screwed to the bottom of the UM3. So my first guess would be to loosen the screws that hold this plastic cover but I don´t see screws to hold the cover for the side that protects the cable and I don´t want to unscrew the whole printer. I hope that the engeneers do have thought about another way of getting the cable out save and sound without having to rebuild the machine basically from scrath just to be able to remove (replace) this cable...

Any instructions about this would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Daniel

Posted (edited) · Tipps & Tricks needed to disassemble the printercable for UM3 ext for replacement

Hi Daniel,

I've found a possibly helpful link at zendesk with a step-to-step instruction to change the printhead cable:

https://fbrc8.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004541446-Printhead-Ultimaker-3-Ultimaker-3-Extended-

And a quote from @gr5 in another topic (cable related ER18 Error message), point 4, where a cable relief is suggested to take away stress from the cable connector:

gr5

• gr5
    • 12,439 posts
    Posted March 29 · UM3 ER18 after update

I think it's a coincidence as this behavior has not been reported with the update.

So the cable comes loose quite easily.  It takes all of 1 minute to fix it. 

1) Remove the 2 long screws at the rear of the print head.  You access them at the top.  Removing those completely will not do much at all - things will still stay together. 

2) Then remove the rear top cover - it covers the rear half of the print head and holds the cable in place.

3) Seat the cable better.  Push down on both ends of the connector with some kind of tool or small finger.

4) Put some blue tape or scotch tape or other shim around the cable for better cable relief so the cable won't slide upwards and pull the connector out again a few months from now.

5) Put it back together

Greetings

Edited by Enigma_M4
    • Like 1