Printed objects are curved in corners

didero

Posted · Printed objects are curved in corners

Hi !

So I come back with my last print using the design described in my previous post !

The wraping is still there, but much less ! It make me think that I'm close to the result expected but this is not it yet !

Not sure wich modification bring this better result (could be the combination of each factor), but I intend to keep on working on the design !

See photos below:

egg_grow_3.thumb.jpg.0224700a91257feff2a64092e14fbc33.jpg

5a330c74032d4_Ultimaker2Extended.thumb.png.fa95b2547a15d91095687afc17fed17f.png

Ultimaker 2 Extended Press kit.zip

• Replies 60
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like you're getting somewhere. Thanks for keeping us all informed. I notice your fill is fairly sparse. Was that the same as your first prints?

Hi Owen !

That's correct ! All the previous print was with the fill spacing set to 0.08, for the last one, it was 1.00 (I increased the fill spacing, thinking that less plastic should involves less strength to the warping).

Thanks for the encouragement !

Did you try adding 10mm discs to the corner... maybe 0.2mm in height?

It's enough, when the edge dives about a third into the disc.

Helps me alot against warping and they are easy to be removed afterwards.

Hi Micha !

No I didn't yet ! But first I want to focus on how could the design be modified to avoid warping (I don't even know if it's possible but that's my challenge).

Helps me alot against warping and they are easy to be removed afterwards.

It's good to know that your trick can work ! If my experiment brings me nowhere I will try it for sure !

Before to go any further I wanted to know if I would have warping with my box (5cm X 5cm X 0.5cm) if I just print the edges (thickness = 0.5mm) with the the same quality profil I used so far, because if I have some with that minimum of plastic, I would probabily have no chance to avoid warping with even more plastic !

Here's the result :

ProjectEggL.thumb.jpg.3db68e9cf24dcc84ecfe8379fccb8aaa.jpg

As you can see, there is (almost) no warping. The remaining warping is "acceptable" to me. So I consider I can keep on searching a way to fill up that box without getting too much warping ! There should be a trick !

Some people advised me to try to put some kind of "raft" at the corners, I will probably test this option too !

I will try something else in a couple of days !

Also,

http://www.orbi-tech.de

sells PLA-90, which is suppose to shrink less, so should give less warping. (Never tested it myself)

Good to know Daid !

Does someone have already tested this PLA-90 product ?

Good to know Daid !

Does someone have already tested this PLA-90 product ?

Someone printed with the 45 or the 90 and the print looked great but I can't find it in the forum here.

The prints were parts of a rocket.

Unfortunately for me, in Australia, their freight is absolutely crazy.

almost 150€ postage to Australia... ouch.

8€ within Germany. DHL is 40€ up to 5kg to Australia... PM me, if you want to spend that.

But I would stand back from PLA45 in Australia... Starts to soften at 45°C :geek: .

almost 150€ postage to Australia... ouch.

8€ within Germany. DHL is 40€ up to 5kg to Australia... PM me, if you want to spend that.

But I would stand back from PLA45 in Australia... Starts to soften at 45°C :geek: .

Thanks for your offer Micha, do you have a Paypal account? Yes, I would only get the PLA90. I've already had a phone mount melt in my car :( . Soften, shrink and warp anyway.

Owen

It was this thread that talked about the PLA45 and PLA90 from orbi-tech, towards the bottom of the 1st page.

http://forum.ultimaker.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=297

I would be interested to here how people get on with it :)

Jonathan

It was this thread that talked about the PLA45 and PLA90 from orbi-tech, towards the bottom of the 1st page.

http://forum.ultimaker.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=297

I would be interested to here how people get on with it :)

Jonathan

That's the one, I couldn't find that doing a search for PLA90.

Anyway Micha is sending some PLA90 to me saving me heaps on freight.

Also today I did a print with a greatly improved result by not having a fill so high.

Not a great pic but the one on the right was printed with 0mm fill spacing in Netfabb, that is 100% fill. The one on the left is virtually the same object but with higher walls was printed with a fill spacing of 0.06mm, not huge but seemed to make a lot of difference.

5a330c7adb3a8_UltimakerOriginalwebsite.thumb.png.f1fe5c471c0d5ce69eff934318ffd9c4.png

Still searching for a structure that would low the wraping to the minimum, I tried to fill my box with concentric circles ! The idea was to "break" what gives strength to warping (I realized that lines guide the warping to one direction, so each filament on top of another, or aside to another give more strength to the warping, but what if the lines are replaced by circles ?)

While printing :

Ultimaker Original Press Kit.zip

My best result so far not perfect but getting closer :

1890467_820505294641871_1038417065_o.thumb.jpg.2b0d8691475a0fc20e89d8e37380745b.jpg

The photo does not show it well but the new piece is much more flat than the others one ! One corner is not good but it was too close to the tape's edge on the bed and didn't remains stick to the platform because of that!

IMG_20120311_132331.small.jpeg

This is the amount of warping I get for a normal square (nothing special just a flat square) with normal PLA from Ultimaker.

Printed the first layer at 0.1mm layers, 25mm/s, and then it speeds up over the next 3 layers to 50mm/s. Printed at 190C.

Seems a lot less then your tests...

Owen, Daid,

When I see your good results with "basic" shape and settings, I don't know what to think ! To get something close to your result I had to work on inner structure !

Could it be because of my grey PLA ?

Following some advices I reduced the print temperature, could it be a bad idea ?

Daid, could you take another photo of your print off the bed ? (My own prints look always better on the bed )

Try the 10 by 0.2mm discs at the corners, they will hold the piece in place and will avoid that it warps off the tape.

IMG_4489.MOV

Daid, could you take another photo of your print off the bed ? (My own prints look always better on the bed )

Sadly, I cannot. The rest of the print failed. And when I tried to remove it the bottom separated from the rest of the box.

Micha thanks for your picture ! I will try your trick, once I managed to implement the LCD and SD card reader I just received, for now my PCB is off my UM (not so easy for someone that knows fairly nothing about electronic !!)

Daid, too bad ! I hope that nothing seriously bad happened to your printer !

Daid, too bad ! I hope that nothing seriously bad happened to your printer !

Nah, my prints fail quite often. I'm trying some pretty difficult prints, which topple over quite easy. I need to add some more support, and then it will work.

Fun fact, the print failed because of warping, because of warping the print managed to push itself over. Trying to print this:

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/I ... /ID/327243

Owen, Daid,

When I see your good results with "basic" shape and settings, I don't know what to think ! To get something close to your result I had to work on inner structure !

Could it be because of my grey PLA ?

Following some advices I reduced the print temperature, could it be a bad idea ?

Lower filling seemed to do it for me. I have a the same warping with a disc and also had small troughs in the model on the right above and these things made no difference.

Not sure about temperature but I think it's best to print as cool as you can anyway but still hot enough to get shiny extrusion and good adhesion between layers.

I'd imagine different filament gives different results.

Also I haven't tried tried disc trick that Micha has shown.

Nice challenge Daid !

Since I'm new in 3D printing I didn't try to print something with support yet, I'm very interrested to see the result and how do you do with support !

Nice challenge Daid !

Since I'm new in 3D printing I didn't try to print something with support yet, I'm very interrested to see the result and how do you do with support !

I'm printing without automatic support ;-) I need to add some manual support, just a few square boxes to support the chin and the tail would do it. Should be easy to cut away later.

Hi guys,

i'm experiencing the same issue while printing a box for my project.

Today i ordered the PLA-90 from OrbiTech, i hope it will solve this issue. If not, i'll sell my Ultimaker. Boxes are the main type of objects that i need to print and i don't want to spend more money and time trying to get a heated platform/chamber working.

I'll let you know my results.

Hi guys,

i'm experiencing the same issue while printing a box for my project.

Today i ordered the PLA-90 from OrbiTech, i hope it will solve this issue. If not, i'll sell my Ultimaker. Boxes are the main type of objects that i need to print and i don't want to spend more money and time trying to get a heated platform/chamber working.

I'll let you know my results.

I just started printing again, after some weeks of hiatus, and I have no problems with warped edges at the moment:

2012-03-13-13.21.43.jpg

I think the key is pressing down, rubbing in the blue take really really good (mine is on a non-heated 8mm glass), and making sure the first layer is only 50% the hight it's supposed to be (meaning the PLA is bonding very well with the tape). the example above is a 8cm shape, with more or less 1mm bottom thickness, and 1.5mm walls, 35% infill, and a 3mm chamfering of the bottom (which will later become the front face of the object)