UM3 error: Printcore in print head slot 1 nozzle size mismatch

Niles

Posted · UM3 error: Printcore in print head slot 1 nozzle size mismatch

Need help with my Ultimaker 3 extended.

Error: Printcore in print head slot 1 nozzle size mismatch.

I guess you have set a different print core (nozzle size) in Cura. When you now want to print, the printer notifies you about that.

So a few things.

What nozzle did you slice with?  Did you slice with AA 0.4 and BB 0.4?

I'm not sure if the left core is slot 1 or slot 0 so it could be either core as far as I'm concerned.

Also sometimes a core is misprogrammed.  So go through the menus - it tells you what the printer *thinks* is loaded into the left and right slots.

So there - you have 2 things to check.  You can of course just ignore.  I do it all the time.

I slice with nozzle1 - AA 0.4 ( left core is slot 1)

Disable BB 0.4

Where in the menus can I chack what the printer *thinks* is loaded into the left and right slots and corect it if needed?

Screenshot_1.jpg

MATERIAL/PRINTCORE

scroll down to

PRINTCORE 1 but don't click it.  Look at the bottom of the display.  Repeat for PRINTCORE 2

If one of your cores is programmed wrong (for example it's an AA 0.4 but the printer thinks it's an AA 0.8) then you can fix it by using the instructions here:

http://gr5.org/cores/

I checked the menu, everything is right there.

So, I just click Ignore and continue printing.

Maybe in the next firmware versions there will not be this problem.
    Thanks for the help.

Interesting. I just restored one of my UM3's from a recovery file on a SD card. The printer was having wifi issues (would not create a hotspot) which did not solve the issue by the way. Have just been calibrating the XY offset which seems to be printing a different calibration layout to my other 2 UM3's (all same firmware). And have now just seen the error mentioned in this post. Have triple checked that core AA 0.4 was used in slicer, AA0.4 is in the machine, and machine also reads that AA0.4 is installed!

Been a sad sad week for my fleet so far 😞

I suspect there is a problem in reading the data from the print core.

Try switching your two print cores. Is the error then in the same slot, or does the error move to the other slot?

If the error remains in the same slot then the problem is with the connection points in the slot being dirty. Clean those

If the error moves to the other slot, then try cleaning the print core's contact points.

When the above doesn't fix it, then please try to get more data for us to investigate this. When you start a print and it complains about the nozzle size mismatch, then I would like to see the debugging data that's normally hidden:

1) Is your printer in developer mode? The just scroll down the error message on the screen a bit more and post a photo of the data there.

2) When your printer isn't in developer mode, open a web browser and surf to the printer's home page. Select there 'Event Log' and copy / paste the error message related to the print cores not matching.  The web page address will be something like: http://10.183.3.120/info/log.html

• Like 2

On 5/12/2019 at 2:40 PM, gr5 said:

If one of your cores is programmed wrong (for example it's an AA 0.4 but the printer thinks it's an AA 0.8) then you can fix it by using the instructions here:

http://gr5.org/cores/

I had a look at these instructions and they are incomplete / wrong !

There are the following problems:

-  Only the print core  names are changed. Other parameters that should be there are ignored which create problems in, for example, XY calibration where a misformed pattern will be printed.

- The checksums are not updated. When a new firmware will check this for errors, then the printcores will be rejected.

For an UM3 you can re-program the print cores by following the procedure below:

- Disable Active Leveling (not required, but saves 5 minutes).

- place the core to be programmed in the slot on the left.

- print one of the files below.

- Remove the print core. When you insert it again the new configuration will be read.

aa04_program.gcode bb04_program.gcode

• Like 1

@CarloK - you make some interesting points.

1) Checksum.  If you send the wrong checksum on purpose and then read it back you will find it now has the correct checksum.  I don't know why.  You don't have to set the checksum as somewhere along the process it is fixed anyway.

2) nozzle diameter as a numeric number (not as a strong).  For those other than me and CarloK, the nozzle diameter is stored in 2 places, in the name as a string e.g. "AA 0.4" and also a second time as anumber.  As far as I can tell, this second value ignored.  It doesn't affect the gcode which specify how much to extrude and how far apart lines are.  I don't think it's useful.  It would be good to fix this but I'm not sure at what cost - there are nearby other values that maybe shouldn't be messed with.

3) Counters.  Your code CarloK resets everything back to 0 hours so if someone had used the core for several hours that odometer-like reading will be reset to zero.  Mine doesn't do this.  It probably doesn't matter as most people hopefully will not print much at all when using a mis-labelled core.

4) XY Calibration.  So each core has a serial number and this can not be changed.  It's set at the factory where they make the chips that go on each core.  The XY Calibration data (and Z data) is stored on the printer (e.g. UM3/S3/S5).  Not one the core.  No matter what you do that will be saved (which should be fine in this case as we aren't changing X/Y or Z positions in the physical core.

One more point:

The wattage of the print core is also stored on the core and also the PID values for heating the core.  These values are different for each wattage.  The UM cores are all the same - I think 25W.  The 3dsolex cores are mostly 35W.  If you use CarloK's programming on a 3dsolex core you will mess up the PID values slightly and you might even trip the power brick by going over it's power budget (the printers are careful to lower the print bed power briefly if both cores are at 100% power depending on stated power in the eeprom on the core).

So while CarloK's programming will work for UM cores it will be problematic for 3dsolex cores.  Whereas my programming suggestion works for both types of core.

But CarloK, please know that I appreciate your contributions and it's nice to get people on here who know this stuff at a more detailed level than most people!

@CarloK - I also note that you added a fancy header to your gcode file.  Does that make any difference?  I was able to get my gcode files to work on the UM3 but not the S5.  Maybe I need that header?  Do you have an S3 or S5?  Or just the UM3?

1) In the current firmware (v5.5) we don't check the checksum on reading. GR5's method now works and later the correct CRC is written. Checking the CRC on reading is a long standing wish to implement since on some printers the long cable to the printhead creates bad readings. Starting a print with corrupted configuration data can lead to all kind of print failures.

So yes, for now GR5's method works but might fail with a future firmware.

2) The nozzle diameter as numeric value isn't ignored. It's currently used in generating the XY-printing pattern and more uses might follow.

3) The counters are not touched by my code, they are at another memory address range. And I'm not going to explain in this forum how to reset those counters.  😎

4) You describe the XY-calibration settings correctly. This wasn't something I was referring to.

5) The fancy header in the gcode is required for the newer printer firmware versions to accept the file. As noted, the attached files were created for the UM3 series of printers since the original topic starter was using an UM3 Extended. For the S5 printers change the line:

;TARGET_MACHINE.NAME:Ultimaker 3

to

;TARGET_MACHINE.NAME:Ultimaker S5

@gr5 you correctly indicate the attached files will not work for 3dsolex print cores. I don't know the physical properties of those cores. So people using a 3dsolex core should use your procedures.

Hi Guys

Many thanks for all your replies, I think with all your help that, the problem was that we were not telling Cura the BB nozzle was in nozzle 2, but we had nozzle 2 set at AA. So I have have changes the setting to BB 0.4 and the error has gone and I can now slice.