5.2.11 Broke my WiFi on S5

malencar

Posted · 5.2.11 Broke my WiFi on S5
11 minutes ago, CarloK said:

There is a new testing release which is identical to the v5.2.11 release but has extra logging enabled for the WiFi related problems.

I discovered the WiFi module sometimes short circuits and the new log messages in this version can identify that problem.

@WesleySAV17 and @cabriobob could you try this on your printer and email me the log files again?

The image can be downloaded from here and is applicable to both the UM3 and S5.

This release is to be considered a testing version, i.e. only use it for non-critical applications as this release didn't undergo the normal quality check procedures.

Will do that coming Monday.

Posted (edited) · 5.2.11 Broke my WiFi on S5
    13 minutes ago, CarloK said:

There is a new testing release which is identical to the v5.2.11 release but has extra logging enabled for the WiFi related problems.

I discovered the WiFi module sometimes short circuits and the new log messages in this version can identify that problem.

@WesleySAV17 and @cabriobob could you try this on your printer and email me the log files again?

The image can be downloaded from here and is applicable to both the UM3 and S5.

This release is to be considered a testing version, i.e. only use it for non-critical applications as this release didn't undergo the normal quality check procedures.

I just did the test, I sent you by mail the new log file, still no WIFI ...

Edited by WesleySAV17

I haven't posted in a while because I was moving across the country but just unboxed my S5 and the WiFi is still broken.

We need a fix for this ASAP!

The two cases that I looked into, from Wesley and Cabriobob, showed a broken WiFi module. There is a testing firmware release which adds extra logging and in some cases this logging reports the WiFi as broken, but not always. On request I can make this software available.

We had more reports of WiFi modules breaking down but no cause was found. It is a hardware problem, not software related. 

When your printer is still under warranty I suggest to contact your reseller and ask for a WiFi module replacement.

Without warranty it becomes more problematic. The WiFi module in the printer is a small seperate module, usb based. Your options:

- Be nice to your reseller, perhaps they are willing to do the repair anyway (or they can send you just the module).

- Perhaps the reseller / distributor can send you a WiFi module for a small fee.

- Add another wireless mechanism. For example an ethernet-over-power-lines modem can be bought from €30 and then connects to the ethernet port of your printer. Works fine at my house.

- Never tried, but the printer runs standard Linux and supports many different wireless modules. We never removed the support for all those other modules since it wasn't worth the memory savings. Most likely you can buy any Linux supported USB WiFi module and plug it into the printer's USB socket in the printer's front. Perhaps add a USB hub so you can still insert flash disks as well. For the S5 you could use the internal USB socket where the WiFi is connected now, but then the antenna will get poor reception.

15 hours ago, CarloK said:

The two cases that I looked into, from Wesley and Cabriobob, showed a broken WiFi module. There is a testing firmware release which adds extra logging and in some cases this logging reports the WiFi as broken, but not always. On request I can make this software available.......

Thank CarloK for this info.

Can i test  your testing firmware to see if my wifi module is down?

Thank

Bob

Hi @Bob38, see your PM.

Hi @CarloK, see you PM too 😉

regards

Bob

Hi all

CarloK, here the dump file

dmesg.log

Regards  Bob

Hello CarloK.

I come to news following the log file sent.

Have you found a track to solve the problem?

thank you

regards Bob

@Bob38, the WiFi module is not reporting in. When broken, in about 50% of the cases, it then reports with a specific warning in the dmesg.log file. That message is missing here but te WiFi module isn't reported on USB so I suspect the module is broken.

I suggest to contact your reseller / distributor. Even when warranty is out, they might come with a good proposal. 

Otherwise, a replacement WiFi module is sold by Ultimaker for $100 and can be exchanged relatively easily.

In my opinion $100 for the \WiFi is way too much, but it is an older model that is no longer for sale.

Alternative suppliers can be found when you search the internet for 'WUBA-171GN', I found it for $42 in the US and €38 in the UK.

Another option is to connect a wireless router to the LAN connection, or try using a power-line modem on the LAN connection.

• Like 2

Thank you CarloK for your answer

I do not buy a wifi module because the printer is only a few months old, so under warranty (in France)
    I will contact my dealer.

Thank again

Bob

Thanks for the specifics on the hardware part @CarloK. I was able to order the part and successfully replaced it on my S5. After walking through the wifi set up steps again, the wifi worked normally. The project was a little tedious at the beginning, though, because the torx screws on the bottom of the printer didn't match any of the special electronics tool sets I already had, so I had to go out and but a set that allowed for the pin torx screws.

• Like 1

My Wifi has just gone down too. It was working just before Christmas with the latest firmware at the time, 7.0.1, and I don't believe there have been any changes so I'm guessing my wifi module might be broken too 😞