Luscious_Bagel

Slicing a model on top of another

Posted · Slicing a model on top of another

Hello, I'm trying to print 2 colors in a single extruder by having one model print on top of the other in 2 separate gcode files. 

Even though my model's z-coordinate is 4mm tall in solid view, the slicer still slices it as though it is sitting directly on the build plate at 0mm. How can I achieve printing a model on top of another model? 

Thanks

go to the menu system in cura: "preferences" "configure cura..."

Uncheck the box that says "automatically drop models to the build plate". 

Instead of moving the model by the blue arrow up and down I recommend you enter a Z value (you can do either of course).

If the 2 models are also correctly on top of each other in CAD and are saved as separate STLs you can use the merge function in CURA (select all, right mouse click on the model) to position them correctly.

But he wants 2 separate gcode files so can only have one loaded into cura at a time.

Posted (edited) · Slicing a model on top of another

Hey, thanks for the reply. I've unchecked this and the model itself shows that it's moved/floating in Cura, but when I actually slice it the gcode that it makes sets the z-position back to 0. 

image.thumb.png.8d05e813f3ff4bdd5542aa5b3f73ffcc.png

For reference, the image shows the silhouette of the model's actual positioning, but the produced gcode remains at z = 0. 

Edited by Luscious_Bagel