RudydG

S5 end of roll detection

Posted · S5 end of roll detection

I experience a problem situation. When i use Polymaker Polymax (the toughpla equivalent), the end of the filament is often quite hard attached to the reel, so it doesn't come off; the printer stops, but at that moment i already have a small "defect" in the print. At this moment i unwind the last meters of the reel manualy, and remove the end. With a full roll, when i don't forget, i try to drill a hole, just at the place where the end is attached to the reel.

How do others cope?

Posted · S5 end of roll detection

Personally i try to make sure i have the filament needed on a spool for a print and when my spool gets to the where its likely no good to do a big print with i swap the spool and save the filament for doing little small prints with with the filament not on a spool.

Cura is good at saying what filament if needed to do a print so i try and make use of that information to make sure i have the needed filament left on the spool.

When i do have to change filament mid print i always try and do so when the infill is printing, so any break in filament feed is on the inside of the print and does not show on the outside.