groone

How to print items that hang down

Posted · How to print items that hang down

I'm new to 3d printing, so hopefully this is something with an easy answer.  I have a model that I made in blender that is of a robot running.  one of his legs sticks out at a downward angle.  The printer tries to print the leg inline with the other lines but since there is nothing there the filament just goops.  I'm assuming it would do this for the arms that are lower but have no base.  How would I print this model?  I've attached it for help.  It needs to be scaled in Ultimaker CUra.  Anyhow thank you for any answers.  This just confuses me for some reason, so many settings and I really don't know what they all do.  I couldn't find a pdf for the Ultimaker Cura. 

robotv2_5.stl

You have to enable supports, then Cura builds a kind of support structure below those areas. Normally the support can be removed easily after the print and you just have to do some cleanup on the surface.

To enable the support, just click the checkbox on the recommended settings page.

• Like 1

Enable the standard supports as Smithy says, or design your own custom supports into the model. Sometimes custom supports may be desirable in special circumstances: for example to make the support stiffer so you can more easily grab and pull it out with pliers, or to make it extend so you can grab it, or to make special holes in it to insert hooks.

Usually I prefer to design custom supports into my models, so I have full control. Except for large and easy to reach areas, where the standard supports do a very good job.

For example, the red and orange blocks below here are custom supports, to prevent the bridges of the yellow part from sagging too much, since the blue spoon has to slide through that yellow part. This part is too small to get in with a knife, so I need the supports to extend, so I can grab them. The supports also need a little bit of extra brim for stability. For reference: text caps-height is 3.5mm, text legs are 0.5mm. So, all this is very small.

ostrcp_key_v20_zoom.thumb.jpg.c85991865979ff09557a37d9ca6ad20f.jpg

Tha same one plus a few other types of supports I tested or used through the years:

support_ideas1.thumb.jpg.01b652b9b15851890834b65181100d91.jpg

Another one, if you don't want the support to go all the way down and damage the part below it.

overhangtest11c2.thumb.jpg.a46d23123127b77f81082a2efa4daa80.jpg

Same, now also on the center bridge: the bottom of the support-bridge will sag and produce some "spaghetti", but the real bridge will be reasonably okay after some cleaning up.

overhangtest11e.thumb.jpg.1f92bf0e3eb064e1d9edbdf9edd16b3c.jpg

The above one printed. Keep in mind the small dimensions: the "plates" are 1mm thick, the text is 3.5mm caps-height. Nozzle-diameter is 0.4mm.

DSCN5727b.jpg.8aeeef6796d24bf7adbbdaa5eb24f52a.jpg

And another one that could be usefull for springs or cylinders. The red support needs to be cut out later.

spring1b.thumb.jpg.c1de384602569626c7a4fb80a292b74a.jpg

Thank you very much.  All of this helps out immensely.