Cura 4.1 pausing at each layer

rritch

Posted · Cura 4.1 pausing at each layer

I just installed version 4.1 for Mac.  I had previously been using 4.0 with my Creality Ender 3 Pro (stock firmware).  I sliced a small print with 4 small identical wire clips using the same settings that carried over from 4.0.  It gave an estimated time of 55 minutes to print.  I started the print and immediately noticed that it was pausing for several seconds at the end of each layer for each piece.  I let it print several layers to see if it was just something with the first (or first few) layers, but it continued.  I stopped the print and re sliced the exact same model using 4.0 with the same settings.  The estimated time was 39 minutes this time.  I printed it, and it did NOT pause this time.  I do not have any plugins installed in either 4.0 or 4.1.  Is there a new setting in 4.1 that is causing this, or is this a bug.

• Thanks 1

It is happening to me also. The time is not the issue (that i know of yet) but the pausing is. I think that something is getting mixed up with the mintime per layer. Its treating it as pause time for each layer. I decreased the min time per layer and it seemed to take less time on the pauses.

I cant even get my first layer to lay down in any timely manner.

35 minutes ago, burtoogle said:

Hi @rritch and @itisnot_me, please can someone attach a sample of the gcode that is having this problem, thanks.

Sorry I was out and about. Here are two differently sliced models. same stls but sliced I want to say with min time decreased.

oh and btw my slicing was done on PC not mac

JA5A5S_Big_Baby_-_Good_Samaritan_-_SpeedLoader.gcode JA5A5S_Big_Baby_-_Good_Samaritan_-_Trigger.gcode

I removed 4.1 and re installed 4.0 and overwrote the gcode.  I can re install and slice the model again if needed, but I see that itisnot_me uploaded some samples already.

Having similar problems, except it pausing multiple times on the same layer, it stops after the skirt, and after each individual part layer is finished. Just ran an stl sliced with 4.0 and it prints fine.

Sliced with a PC and running thru Octopi.

PI3_moat.gcode

• Like 1

Some models have too many triangles in the STL file and there could be for example 300 line segments for the printer to print all within a space smaller than 1mm.  This makes the printer slow way down for a few seconds and then speeds up again. 

So first look at the print in layer view and move the horizontal slider to one of the slow spots and see how many moves it's trying to do there.  Is it just one or two or is it dozens?  Is there a retraction there?  Is it a non-extruding move?  Look at it carefully in slice view to get hints about what the problem is.

Yes that is also the issue I have. That it pauses right after it lays a brim, wall, or I fill. I thought I explained correctly but with your post I realized I was wrong. 

Also right before I updated I had dialed in my profile to be where I am happy and on the new update I noticed that the first layer was under extruding. 

The above models in the gcode have way less triangles than the ones I printed right before in 4.0

IMG_20190528_124829.jpg

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.1 pausing at each layer
    40 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Some models have too many triangles in the STL file and there could be for example 300 line segments for the printer to print all within a space smaller than 1mm.  This makes the printer slow way down for a few seconds and then speeds up again. 

So first look at the print in layer view and move the horizontal slider to one of the slow spots and see how many moves it's trying to do there.  Is it just one or two or is it dozens?  Is there a retraction there?  Is it a non-extruding move?  Look at it carefully in slice view to get hints about what the problem is.

It comes to a complete stop for 5 - 10 seconds before moving again. It is a small circular print, nothing real complex. Watching the terminal, you can see numerous temp entries coming in before the ok from the last executed instruction. I'll try again tomorow and copy the terminal output when it comes to a stop. The attached gcode is a bed level test, Straight lines, nothing complex. It stops numerous times on each layer while printing this.

PI3_prueba_nivelacion_cama.gcode

Edited by wrench_bender

Here is more in depth of the issue

I load both 4.1 and 4.0 and load up the same model that I have attached. Slice with the default settings and print profile that is loaded. Slice and save to usb drive.

Also attached is the project files, the static loaded stl, and gcodes.

Video with loaded 4.0 (no issues): 

Video with loaded 4.1 (issues): 

On a odd note i do see that even though the profile does have skirt enabled it doesnt show in 4.0 but does show on 4.1

TEST_Big_Baby_-_Good_Samaritan_-_ChamberRounds.stl TEST-4-0_Big_Baby_-_Good_Samaritan_-_ChamberRounds.3mf TEST-4-1_Big_Baby_-_Good_Samaritan_-_ChamberRounds.3mf TEST-4-0_Big_Baby_-_Good_Samaritan_-_ChamberRounds.gcode TEST-4-1_Big_Baby_-_Good_Samaritan_-_ChamberRounds.gcode

Edited by itisnot_me

Thanks for the g-code files. Looking at them I can see that they contain z-hop moves with a silly feedrate (F17987547480000). This is a recently introduced regression (see https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/commit/ce9f3c9bcc79fdd596bd3c5ac87ce9ba7120a031).

You can work around this by either setting the Maximum Speed Z in the printer definition or by setting or the Maximum Z Speed value in the profile.

5 hours ago, burtoogle said:

Thanks for the g-code files. Looking at them I can see that they contain z-hop moves with a silly feedrate (F17987547480000). This is a recently introduced regression (see https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/commit/ce9f3c9bcc79fdd596bd3c5ac87ce9ba7120a031).

You can work around this by either setting the Maximum Speed Z in the printer definition or by setting or the Maximum Z Speed value in the profile.

I am still really new to 3D printing.  Can you explain this a little more?  Is this something that will be addressed in an update, or will this be something that I will have to do if I want to use 4.1 or any newer version going forward?

Hello @rritch, welcome to the wacky world of 3d printing. In the short term you will probably need to adjust a setting as I mention above to workaround this glitch. Maybe in the longer term the Ultimaker devs will revert or change the regression.

29 minutes ago, burtoogle said:

Hello @rritch, welcome to the wacky world of 3d printing. In the short term you will probably need to adjust a setting as I mention above to workaround this glitch. Maybe in the longer term the Ultimaker devs will revert or change the regression.

I am fine with tinkering, that is part of the fun.  I am just not sure how/where I should make the suggested changes or what I should set them to for my printer (Creality Ender 3 Pro).  Any insight or sources that you can point me to on how to do this?

53 minutes ago, rritch said:

I am fine with tinkering, that is part of the fun.  I am just not sure how/where I should make the suggested changes or what I should set them to for my printer (Creality Ender 3 Pro).  Any insight or sources that you can point me to on how to do this?

@rritch I believe that you can do it in cura see the attached image on where to do this.

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 6.27.58 AM.png

Thanks all, mine was doing this too, running Marlin 1.9 with latest Cura 4.1.0, adjusted to Z-Speed to 120, works again.

Edited by saturnprime

That fixed it.

Knew it was something simple, but I had no idea of what. Thanks for the help.

4 minutes ago, wrench_bender said:

That fixed it.

Knew it was something simple, but I had no idea of what. Thanks for the help.

How did you figure out what value to use?

Stuck 250 to test it, and it worked fine. I'll probably put something lower in, but anything close to your x and y speed should work.

42 minutes ago, wrench_bender said:

Stuck 250 to test it, and it worked fine. I'll probably put something lower in, but anything close to your x and y speed should work.

Thanks!  I just burned a boot loader on mine and installed the TH3D firmware.  Looks like the Maximum speed in that firmware for the Ender 3 is 500, so I assume that if I set the value to 500 or less, that should do the trick.  I am working on getting the EZ-ABL installed at the moment, but I will play with this more later.

Also Thanks! That fixed it 😄

Thank you for the information. I've set the value to 25 mm/s. It works again with my Ender 3 Pro (Marlin 1.1.9). Without the parameter you the Z axis was moving extremly slow...

No problems with my second printer using Klipper.

I finally got a chance to test again after finishing the upgrades to my printer.  I set it to 250 and that resolved the problem.  Thanks for the help and information.

Same issue after having just upgraded to Cura 4.1. After reading the thread I plan to re-install 4.0 for now (though I do see there is a workaround posted here.) Just wanted to chime in and mention it is happening to me too - sounds like it might happen to everyone that didn't have that value defined manually at some point (probably most users?)

Is this something that is considered a bug then, or going forward will we have to set that Z- speed value ourselves to use Cura 4.1 or higher?

PS: very happy to quickly find a solution for this. Cura said a print would take 7 hours - current on hour 23 and still going because of this constant pausing. Also contrary to the title, the pause happens for me multiple times on each layer - not just once per layer.

This seems to happen at each z-move.

I have always activated "Z-jump during retraction" (translated with deepl, don't know the origin english phrase), and it pauses everytime instead of doing the jump.