Cura 4.0 Won't Open

mityoor

Posted · Cura 4.0 Won't Open

When I've tried to open Cura , nothing happens. The loading screen does not show up but the program does show up in the task manager. I have tried reinstalling and running in compatability mode but I've had no luck. Any suggestions on what the issue may be? 

• 1 month later...
    Posted (edited) · Cura 4.0 Won't Open

Go to C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.1. Right click on Cura.exe and go to the "compatibility" tab. Choose which version of Windows you have in the drop down list. (Note: For Windows 10 choose Windows 8 ) Hopefully that fixes it for you.

Edited by PinkyBroham
    • Thanks 3

For the record: setting a compatibility mode, or running as administrator should not be necessary. At this point it is still a mystery why this is needed on some systems, and not on (most) others.

• 2 months later...

I Found the fix Guys, Go to cura folder in program files> ultimaker cura 4.3, scroll all the way to the bottom and install ''vcredist_64'', if it does not install its because you have a newer version, go to control panel> uninstall a program> and uninstall all the newer versions of ''microsoft c++ redistributable'' , then try installing it, Then open cura and enjoy!

After days of research finally i figure that out. Happy prints!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrtinfy said:

I Found the fix Guys, Go to cura folder in program files> ultimaker cura 4.3, scroll all the way to the bottom and install ''vcredist_64'', if it does not install its because you have a newer version, go to control panel> uninstall a program> and uninstall all the newer versions of ''microsoft c++ redistributable'' , then try installing it, Then open cura and enjoy!

After days of research finally i figure that out. Happy prints!

Nice find. We're going to look into this to see if that was the thing plaguing the rest of the users as well.

• Like 1

If you do what @mrtinfy suggests you will surely break many other programs that rely on those newer versions of the VC redistributables. The 2017 version is a directly compatible replacement for 2015. But this information might give the developers some hints for what is going wrong.

See this thread: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/14701/visual-c-redistributable-for-visual-studio-2015-ca.html

It looks like some installers may check for the redist version incorrectly.

you can install back the Microsoft c++ reditributable 2017 x64 and Microsoft c++ reditributable 2017 x86, I research a lot a bout it and many programs run in older versions of c++ since they were created years ago the only reason why you would want 2017 and 2019 versions is for programs that were coded those years, but they would still run in c++ 2015 since  2015, 2017, and 2019 are all ''compatible'' acording to microsoft, its only cura that has trouble loading with newer versions.

It is important to reinstall the later versions. What Microsoft means by “compatible” is that they are backwards compatible. 

This means that the classes and functions that existed in the older versions still work the same way and thus older programs can work with them. However, a newer program can use things added in the later versions. If a program does not use anything newer, you’re OK. But if it does, it will crash when it tries to use that functionality.

You may have researched a lot about it...I’ve been programming in Windows since V3.0, with over 10 years of that being at Microsoft.

• Like 1

Hi.  the last couple versions of Cura would not load consistantly.  i uninstalled all of them and reinstalled the latest version.  It only opened the first time.  It always hung up at "loading plugins"  WELL I HAD NO PLUGINS.  I ran it in administrator mode and it worked.  I then installed some plugins from the marketplace in Cura.  now it seems to startup normally

8 hours ago, pzatt said:

It always hung up at "loading plugins"  WELL I HAD NO PLUGINS. 

Yes you do ;) Cura comes with a bunch of plugins pre-shipped.

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.0 Won't Open

@johnse

I am running win 10-64bit on an HP Omen and having the same issue with Cura 4 where it does not want to open all the time. Its random so far that i can tell. Other times Ill try to open it and it shows in the task manager but does not show on screen. I have had multiple instances of the program also when checking task manager (where in frustration I've clicked it several times) but still no program loaded onscreen. It practically takes an act of god to get this thing booted up. I have reinstalled slightly earlier versions all to no avail.  

I have also clicked and not had it load and went to other projects and had Cura load up literally several minutes later.  Approximately 5%-10% of the time it will load and be fine. 

Edited by DraconicVisions

Please try the 4.5 beta. It has some changes in it that could fix this issue.