Posted · Large Part

Hello everybody, I'm a French student in Mechanical Engineering, I would like to ask you a question about the Ultimaker 2 of 3D Print. I did lot of test of Large part and I meet the same problem, which is the thickness. I want  to have a thickness of 15 mm but I get a thickness of 6mm. I don't understand why the 3D print continues its trajectory without extruding wire. I notices the wire don't go out of the nozzle, I notice also the groove on the outside of the engine remove a small part of the wire that's why the wire isn't extrude. 

I would like to ask you if there is specific parameter to be set in the 3D print, or on the sleecer ( conversion software between the CAD and the 3D print) . 

I  join you a picture to better understand the situation. 

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

Posted · Large Part

I don’t see the picture, but from what I understand your nozzle clogged and then the feeder is grinding the filament.

I would advise to clean the nozzle (google: atomic pull or cold pull) and maybe also clean the feeder if it happens again.

The main reasons for this issue is printing to fast and/or printing not hot enough. Try starting with Cura’s default profiles and you should be fine.

Finally, do you have an Ultimaker2 (with the small black feeder) or an ultimaker2+ (white feeder) if its still the old black feeder I would advise to upgrade with a bondtech feeder.

Posted · Large Part
18 minutes ago, ultiarjan said:

I don’t see the picture, but from what I understand your nozzle clogged and then the feeder is grinding the filament.

I would advise to clean the nozzle (google: atomic pull or cold pull) and maybe also clean the feeder if it happens again.

The main reasons for this issue is printing to fast and/or printing not hot enough. Try starting with Cura’s default profiles and you should be fine.

Finally, do you have an Ultimaker2 (with the small black feeder) or an ultimaker2+ (white feeder) if its still the old black feeder I would advise to upgrade with a bondtech feeder.

Thanks For your help Ultiarjan, 

We have already clean the nozzle and the feeder, but it doesn't work. 

I will try the second option. 

Posted · Large Part

It could also be that the little fan on the back of the nozzle is not working. This would cause the filament to heat up too much, and soften before the nozzle, so it gets too thick and gets stuck.

Or that there is a kink in the filament, so it can not unwind from the spool, or not pass through the feeder. Or a totally worn-out white teflon coupler (especially on UM2 non-plus). Or any other obstruction along the whole traject.

PS: normally you can just drag and drop photos into your post while writing. It should work, I do this all the time.