Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
Nicolinux

Ultimaker 2 Wifi enabled?

Hi,

Could somebody please explain this feature? What does it mean "wifi enabled"? I am asking because the idea of controlling an Ultimaker from my iPhone is _very_ appealing and I would hope that's got something to do with "wifi enabled".

Thanks.

That's the awesome press working for you.

I'm not 100% sure what the intention of WiFi "ready" was. But there is no WiFi in the machine. There is room for a RaspPi if we want to build an future upgrade based on that. And there is the Doodle3D box which has WiFi and should be available soon.

Hehe, ok - marketing at its best. No problem, I was just curious. You people should really just merge with OctoPrint or integrate it somehow. I know that Gina forked Cura to create OctoPrint. Both projects - Cura and OctoPrint are awesome on their own - imagine how much better they were together. Gina is already working on it. I can't wait to try it.

Adding a RasPi to the Ultimaker 2 shouldn't be a problem cost wise. When one spends that much money, the cost for a RasPi is not that much.

@LePaul: You can already do this with a little mod. Peter explained it in his video:

I read the Cura engine goes to be integrated with doodle3D for slicing i use octopi and right now the use its remote control of the printer and you only can upload gcode files to it.

So in My opinión the wifi enabled was a work in progress/future option optimized for ultimaker with the doodle3D.

Iam a proud backer for doodle3D so i can test it out soon.