S5 Max Travel Speed 150 ??

Link

Posted · S5 Max Travel Speed 150 ??

Hi,

I am tuning my profiles for the S5 and whenever I try to set the travel speed to above 150 it goes red ?, could someone from Ultimaker please state of the Max Travel Speed of the S5 is indeed 150 or if it turning red is just a bug in Cura. @SandervGCould you please help, 150 is quit slow when traversing the entire plate with for example.

Many thanks

Until you get the official answer, I can tell you that 150mm/s is indeed the correct travel speed for the S5. The reason for the lower value (compared to e.g. an Ultimaker 3) is the heavier print head. As the product aims at professional customers, Ultimaker has decided to give safe values the priority over speed.

Interesting, thanks for responding. 

this seems to in contrast however to the very aggressive acceleration and jerk settings for travel, these are crazy high and really hammer the machine. If indeed the reason the max travel speed is 150 due to the print head weight the default jerk and acceleration settings should be adjusted (as they are more affected by a heavier print head, the max speed is only met after acceleration). I knocked mine back to way more sensible levels as the printer would actually shake !  

Really Interested to hear from UM on this

• 10 months later...

I just got the S3 and Im super disappointed. I print in mostly translucent PETG and by the time the printer moves about 60mm to go from one part to another the nozzle oozes all over the place making a huge mess. This was not a problem whatsoever with my Ultimaker 3 Extended where I could set the travel seed and travel jerk values high (400mm/s) just for this reason producing perfect parts that dont need to be cleaned at all. I just bought a $5500 paper weight. And yes, Ive tried adding more retraction which actually makes it worse since it just adds more time to complete the move 

IMG_3974.JPG

2 hours ago, LeckieInstalls said:

I just got the S3 and Im super disappointed. I print in mostly translucent PETG and by the time the printer moves about 60mm to go from one part to another the nozzle oozes all over the place making a huge mess. This was not a problem whatsoever with my Ultimaker 3 Extended where I could set the travel seed and travel jerk values high (400mm/s) just for this reason producing perfect parts that dont need to be cleaned at all. I just bought a $5500 paper weight. And yes, Ive tried adding more retraction which actually makes it worse since it just adds more time to complete the move 

IMG_3974.JPG

The way I managed to get round this was to lower the print temps, the s5 actually needs fair bit lower temps than my 2+ did for the same material, maybe its the doors on the front, maybe the print cores, anyway, I print petg at about 215-220 and it works a treat. 

Im using Neat brand translucent filament and found the sweet spot for layer adhesion is 245-270 depending on how fast Im printing. I would agree that going as low as 215 would make the filament a lot less runny, its just that this particular filament is really dependent on having that higher heat to get layer adhesion. Unfortunately we do not have the luxury of experimenting with filaments right now during this pandemic. I must use the stock pile of Neat PETG that we already have/ 

One of my complaints of the S5 are the terrible noises it makes, sometimes it shakes like crazy. This topic made me look into the speeds, i reduced these quite a bit to see if i can get it quiter, and oh yes!!!

Reducing print and travel acceleration to 200mm and the corresponding jerk to 15, is what i am testing now.

This is extreme, but no more shaking and hard work for the printer.

Print time went up from 1:20 to to 1:44

Anyone tweaked theire settings on a s5?

Increasing travel speed above 150mm/s is not recommended on the Ultimaker S-Line printers as the risk of an accidental horizontal shift increases. Higher jerk settings only result in more ringing but not problematic as long as they stay on a reasonable level; the engineering intent profiles might give you an indication what an upper limit might be.