Ultimaker Cloud Firewall Settings?

Playdale

Posted · Ultimaker Cloud Firewall Settings?

Hey,

We have just upgraded our Ultimaker 3 to 5.2.11 Firmware and we are using Cura 4.1.

When we try to connect to the Cloud through Cura connect it stays on the 'trying to connect' screen for ages and does nothing else until we cancel (I have waited for over 30 mins).  We have a port ope so we can view the camera stream from offsite over a VPN and so was wondering if anyone else has had issues or know of any reason why this or our Firewall could cause a problem.

I'm happy to provide further details if you want or need them.

Thanks

Adam

If your firewall accepts all outgoing connections to *.ultimaker.com (on port 443) it should work fine. Your incoming open port for the webcam should not affect Ultimaker Cloud connections. Are you able to reach for example account.ultimaker.com on a laptop that is running in the same network?

• 5 months later...

You don't need any port forwarding rules and you should not do that. With your setup, the printer is reachable from the world. So everyone can access your printer, start a new print, stop a current print and so on. So please remove all these port forwarding from your router.

To get the Ultimaker cloud working, you have just to ensure, that the printer can connect outside to the internet. So the printer establishes a connection to UM cloud server and when you run Cura somewhere else on a different network, your Cura installation will connect to UM cloud server too and the UM cloud acts like a "router" to send print jobs to your printer.

The web stream is not working via cloud yet, but you should be able to send new print jobs to the printer.

• Like 1

As @Smithy indicates, opening your firewall is not recommended at all. Any device in your network would be reachable from the Internet, for example by automated systems like botnets that continuously search for available servers to exploit. Any device in your network could then potentially be a stepping stone to infiltrate the rest.

Ultimaker Cloud (https://mycloud.ultimaker.com) only requires Cura and the printer to be able to reach the internet from within your local network, not the other way around. For now functionality is limited compared to Ultimaker Connect, but more features will be coming soon.

Thanks guys, I just cleared all ports. I guess for now I will just have to settle with connecting within the network. I do follow the process to initiate cloud based access but I just get the loading screen with no change (30 min+) and nothing communicating back to the printer. 

94FE45BC-FF90-4613-968A-06A457CC09BC.png

Which firmware version are you running? Could you send the printer logs to me (downloadable via the printer's display to USB drive).

Hello together,

we're experiencing the same problem. We can't connect our printer to the cloud. Firmware is up-to-date. 

We have a watchguard firewall. Port 443 is not blocked.

Does anyone has an idea how to solve this problem?

Thank you.

45 minutes ago, Novoluto_Max said:

Hello together,

we're experiencing the same problem. We can't connect our printer to the cloud. Firmware is up-to-date. 

We have a watchguard firewall. Port 443 is not blocked.

Does anyone has an idea how to solve this problem?

Thank you.

Which printer type and firmware version are you running?

8 minutes ago, ctbeke said:

Which printer type and firmware version are you running?

We have the S3 as a host for another two 3 extended and three S3.

Firmware version for the S3 is 

7 minutes ago, Novoluto_Max said:

We have the S3 as a host for another two 3 extended and three S3.

Firmware version for the S3 is 

In that case you're running into a bug that is specific for S3. Our embedded firmware developers are looking into this and a patch will be made available once fixed.

On 12/6/2019 at 3:13 PM, ctbeke said:

In that case you're running into a bug that is specific for S3. Our embedded firmware developers are looking into this and a patch will be made available once fixed.

According to the Ultimaker website, this bug was already addressed with firmware 5.3.4 (https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/52961-update-the-ultimaker-s3-firmware) - but at least for us it's still not working. Are still working on this bug?

The firmware version that fixes this issue (and some others) is now live. You can update via your printer's touch screen or manually via USB using the file at https://software.ultimaker.com/releases/firmware/213482/stable/5.3.10.20200107/um-update-5.3.10.20200107.swu.

48 minutes ago, ctbeke said:

The firmware version that fixes this issue (and some others) is now live. You can update via your printer's touch screen or manually via USB using the file at https://software.ultimaker.com/releases/firmware/213482/stable/5.3.10.20200107/um-update-5.3.10.20200107.swu.

Hello, I just tested the new firmware with my S3 and I still can't connect to the cloud. It is still stuck on the cloud activation screen. Attaching my log to the post.

dmesg.log

9 hours ago, Fablab_Pierrefonds said:

Hello, I just tested the new firmware with my S3 and I still can't connect to the cloud. It is still stuck on the cloud activation screen. Attaching my log to the post.

dmesg.log 37.04 kB · 0 downloads

Sorry to hear that, I’ll help you debug right away. 

dmesg doesn’t contain application logs, could you export all logs to USB via the touch screen menu?

Logs.zip

7 hours ago, ctbeke said:

Sorry to hear that, I’ll help you debug right away. 

dmesg doesn’t contain application logs, could you export all logs to USB via the touch screen menu?

I redid the connection process again this morning and tried to cloud connect. Here are the logs. Thank you for your help!

23 minutes ago, Fablab_Pierrefonds said:

Logs.zip 207.72 kB · 1 download

I redid the connection process again this morning and tried to cloud connect. Here are the logs. Thank you for your help!

Hi,

I see two issues in your logs:

1) There's an endless loop going on because of some broken configuration, probably from previous attempts while the bug was still there. You can resolve this by resetting the printer to factory defaults from the display.

2) The IP address cannot be validated. Can you confirm that your printer is network connected and has a normal internal IP address within that network (e.g. no custom network configuration going on).

Chris

33 minutes ago, ctbeke said:

Hi,

I see two issues in your logs:

1) There's an endless loop going on because of some broken configuration, probably from previous attempts while the bug was still there. You can resolve this by resetting the printer to factory defaults from the display.

2) The IP address cannot be validated. Can you confirm that your printer is network connected and has a normal internal IP address within that network (e.g. no custom network configuration going on).

Chris

Hello,

I just tried the whole process after resetting to factory but I am still stuck at the same place. Tried again after resetting to factory AND cura connect, no luck there either. The IP address is a normal IP as far as I know. I am using my phone's 4G as wifi because my work's network blocks the port used by the printer (I cannot change that). This process worked with our Ultimaker 3. Attaching logs again

Logs.zip

5 minutes ago, Fablab_Pierrefonds said:

Hello,

I just tried the whole process after resetting to factory but I am still stuck at the same place. Tried again after resetting to factory AND cura connect, no luck there either. The IP address is a normal IP as far as I know. I am using my phone's 4G as wifi because my work's network blocks the port used by the printer (I cannot change that). This process worked with our Ultimaker 3. Attaching logs again

Logs.zip 242.59 kB · 1 download

I'm seeing this now:

Time request for server 192.168.43.1 failed (101/Network is unreachable)

And then a whole bunch of different network issues and failing requests.

So somehow using your phone as hotspost is resulting in some funny behaviour.

I've used my own phone as hotspot for Ultimaker printers before as well and that worked fine, so not sure what the precise issue is in your case. Do you have a LAN cable available somewhere just to try another networking method?

1 minute ago, ctbeke said:

I'm seeing this now:

I've used my own phone as hotspot for Ultimaker printers before as well and that worked fine, so not sure what the precise issue is in your case. Do you have a LAN cable available somewhere just to try another networking method?

Yes I have LAN cable, but the network to which I can connect is even more restricted than the WiFi.

56 minutes ago, ctbeke said:

I'm seeing this now:

I just tried again with a different phone and network and I see the same issues in the log. Could I try to reinstall the firmware? Would it change anything?

On 1/15/2020 at 6:09 PM, Fablab_Pierrefonds said:

I just tried again with a different phone and network and I see the same issues in the log. Could I try to reinstall the firmware? Would it change anything?

I'm not exactly sure how to help you further. Clearly there's some networking issues that cause the printer not to be able to connect to the correct addresses. You can try a firmware re-install and see what happens, I'm not sure if that would improve anything though. Do you have any other proper network that you can try?

On 1/17/2020 at 10:31 AM, ctbeke said:

I'm not exactly sure how to help you further. Clearly there's some networking issues that cause the printer not to be able to connect to the correct addresses. You can try a firmware re-install and see what happens, I'm not sure if that would improve anything though. Do you have any other proper network that you can try?

I'm not convinced it's a networking issue since the same network allowed me to connect the Ultimaker 3 to the Cloud. Also, when I connect the S3 to the hotspot network, I am able to connect to the printer via WiFi and see the camera feed, etc. From what I see (and understand) in the log is that the IP is not recognized when I try to do the Cura Cloud connect but not before. I'm no expert at all so this may not be related at all but maybe the API is not grabbing the IP properly?

You also mentioned in one of your earlier post that there was a previous configuration that caused a bug. Do you see the same error in the latest logs or did the factory reset fix that?

I unfortunately don't really have access to another proper network and I can't bring the machine home either.

Thank you for your time, I'm really hoping we can find a fix to this because it is an important feature in our workflow here.

1 hour ago, Fablab_Pierrefonds said:

I'm not convinced it's a networking issue since the same network allowed me to connect the Ultimaker 3 to the Cloud. Also, when I connect the S3 to the hotspot network, I am able to connect to the printer via WiFi and see the camera feed, etc. From what I see (and understand) in the log is that the IP is not recognized when I try to do the Cura Cloud connect but not before. I'm no expert at all so this may not be related at all but maybe the API is not grabbing the IP properly?

You also mentioned in one of your earlier post that there was a previous configuration that caused a bug. Do you see the same error in the latest logs or did the factory reset fix that?

I unfortunately don't really have access to another proper network and I can't bring the machine home either.

Thank you for your time, I'm really hoping we can find a fix to this because it is an important feature in our workflow here.

The factory reset should have removed any incorrect configuration caused by the bug. When connecting the S3 to your phone and going to the status endpoint on the API (/api/v1/system), can you copy the result and post it here?

16 minutes ago, ctbeke said:

The factory reset should have removed any incorrect configuration caused by the bug. When connecting the S3 to your phone and going to the status endpoint on the API (/api/v1/system), can you copy the result and post it here?

Here is a print screen of the log:

Capture2.PNG