HELP: Upgraded to 5.2.11 and my UM3 no longer prints properly

emtee

Posted (edited) · HELP: Upgraded to 5.2.11 and my UM3 no longer prints properly

I was printing a largish print overnight last night, and it worked fine. Then this evening I upgraded to 5.2.11, just tried to print another copy overnight, and it doesn't print. There is clearly something very weird going on.

1: The display is a bit odd (strangely offset sometimes, but also isn't  always showing plate/head warm-up progress)
2: MOST IMPORTANT:
The print head starts right up against the glass plate, even after a full reset and auto-levelling. The result is that for the first layer nothing gets deposited - the next layer it works for part of the time, but there's a bit buildup of filament and it's very "lumpy", but ultra-thin/transparent in places where the print head is right up against the glass. The initial "poo dump" works fine - and then nothing.

I've tried using the Ultimaker page that shows how to go back to 4.3.97 (via USB) but there's no USB option in the menu.

I'm terrified that my UM3 is now useless. 

Are there any other suggestions on how I can revert to a previous version that works? 

Edited by emtee

Posted · HELP: Upgraded to 5.2.11 and my UM3 no longer prints properly

I would try a factory reset first. Also manually leveling the build plate for giving the active leveling a proper start might help.

Please be aware that 4.3.97 was a stepping stone for 5.2.11 and should never be used for printing. If you revert the firmware with the recovery image then it should be 4.3.3.

Thanks Dim3nsioneer.  I was following Ultimaker's advice when it comes to 4.3.97

Do you know where I can download 4.3.3?

Hi emtee,

the following topic contains the needed informations to return to 4.3.3. via "unbricking-procedure":

it contains the original topic by @gr5 how to unbrick an UM3, the PDF-WorkInstructions how to do it step-by-step (including the source of the needed recovery image) and also a helpful hint of @gr5 for lift switch calibration.

Regards

Thanks - I've lost confidence that my UM3 will do what it's supposed to - but I'm used to uSD crads as I have lots of Raspberry Pis!)

But, with fear in my heart, I'll give it a go. 

Thanks again - much appreciated

Okay - I heard from someone else that this bug is known and Factory Reset fixes the problem.

I did try a factory reset this morning (after Dim3nsioneer's comment - but it definitely did not fix the problem. 

So I reverted to 4.3.3 as mentioned above, and all was well. So I tried upgrading back to the latest version, did a full setup, and the problem is back again. So I'm just about to go back to 4.3.3 (which was far less painful than I expected)

Edited by emtee

They did change some thresholds.  It sounds like if you set autolevel to "never" and do a manual leveling then you should be good to go.  I only do manual leveling and I only have to level once or twice per year.

Thanks, gr5 ... I think I'm going to stick to 4.3.3 for now.

I'm retired, a hobbyist, and I don't actually print that often. But I'm in the middle of printing a couple of little audio-mixer front panels for a community project which has me up against a deadline (retirement is hard work !)

Normally I only ever do levelling after I've had to  remove the glass to clean it, but it's always an auto. 

Anyway, with the community help I'm back and functioning (although, for some reason, I've not been able to get the UM3 to connect to my wifi, although it does generate a hotspot, so I'm using a long network cable right through the house just to get these printed and I'll tackle the wifi issue later).

It's worth noting that the weird display issues (offset, and no temperature statuses) with the latest version DID go away when I did the factory reset.

I hope that all the issues will be sorted on the next release.

I had similar problem, and so far has realised that switching off wifi, on the printer, and only use LAN (or usb stick) it will be possible to run on the latest firmware. Without funky display and stops in the print and or active leveling.

the problem as i have been told probably is related to the linux version in the new fw, and also only relates to fewer printers and or enviroments.

which wifirouter do you have?, i use a linksys wrt1900

Edited by Rhsin

I use a TP-Link N600-based router (TD-W8980)

I was previously having no problems with wifi - even with the latest firmware, it worked fine. But something weird has happened in reverting to 4.3.3 

Upgrading Linux version is something to be treated with great caution, as curious things can happen. I've had this with my Raspberry Pis and, with Linux (according to some Linux experts) you never upgrade the Linux version unless you absolutely have to - and if you do, testing has to be extensive.

But I'm happily printing with the LAN cable and 4.3.3 for now

Hi, does anyone have any news when / if the auto levelling issue with 5.2.11 will be fixed ?

This is really getting annoying. For now i'm back to manual levelling but i'm not quite sure i'm doing it accurately.

3 hours ago, Olgluk said:

Hi, does anyone have any news when / if the auto levelling issue with 5.2.11 will be fixed ?

This is really getting annoying. For now i'm back to manual levelling but i'm not quite sure i'm doing it accurately.

Are you using wificonnection to the printer?, if so try using a LAN connection instead, it could solve the problem, until ultimaker has found the solution in the firmware, and as i can understand the problem may be deeper in the linux software in the printer which requires more intensive testing before that is upgraded

6 hours ago, Rhsin said:

Are you using wificonnection to the printer?, if so try using a LAN connection instead, it could solve the problem, until ultimaker has found the solution in the firmware, and as i can understand the problem may be deeper in the linux software in the printer which requires more intensive testing before that is upgraded

Yes, on WiFi. I’ll try with cable

EDIT : no luck the automatic bed levelling still doesn't work when wifi disabled. Well i'll stay on manual bed levelling for now or perhaps reverse to previous firmware. Thanks anyway !

Edited by Olgluk