Troubleshooting Help Needed - S5

Posted (edited) · Troubleshooting Help Needed - S5
I have a question about my S5.  I tried to print a camera mount for my CR-10 printer.  I found the mount on Thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2916010) and decided to print it using my S5 and Ultimaker ABS filament.

I made a few minor modifications to the print settings, such as to extend the brim size, since I wanted to print this standing upright and with good bed adhesion at the bottom.  This is how it looked sliced in Cura:

47872870_ScreenShot2019-06-22at3_35_57PM.thumb.png.518261a17f56c22f3c07366c775d0017.png

The pics below are how it actually printed at the top.  For the record, the bed adhesion was so good (and I was mildly impatient getting it off the glass), that the part broke off the bed and not cleanly…the base of the model broke off as well.  Oops.  Not at all my concern...I know why that happened...

Anyway…what do you all think could have been the culprit here?  I suspect this isn't a slicing issue...but rather a physical hardware issue with the stability of the XY movement of my printer and maybe something that needs tightening - I did recently lube rods on my printer, verified X/Y calibration, and tightened belts...so not sure what could be loose or off.  Additionally, the arms printed without a warp.  The only deformity was at the top as pictured below.  

Also, I have the Printed Solid enclosure - so environment likely didn't play a part.

Additional details:
  • Ultimaker ABS
  • 30mm/s print speed
  • 15% infill
  • 0.2 layer height

Thanks for whatever you can tell me.

(And for the record - I did print it successfully in an orientation where the long legs are flat to the bed).

IMG_2491.thumb.jpeg.37ed2bb2269149f4ff74db02a307de32.jpegIMG_2492.thumb.jpeg.dfad30c9d80f123a4cfc4f93a1a56c65.jpeg

Edited by chuckmcgee

Posted · Troubleshooting Help Needed - S5

It was probably wobbling around while you were printing.  I would consider putting a little bit of support - added in CAD - to keep it from being to wobbly.

But I don't understand the question.  

6 hours ago, chuckmcgee said:

what do you all think could have been the culprit here?

Um...

No culprits?  You need to be a little more specific.  Maybe circle something?  Arrow something?

Posted · Troubleshooting Help Needed - S5
    14 minutes ago, gr5 said:

No culprits?  You need to be a little more specific.  Maybe circle something?  Arrow something?

Ha...sorry.  Thought it was obvious.  The issue I am referring to is the curving that happened at the top of the print.  I definitely know it wasn't the most ideal orientation...my later print came out fine.  I was mostly curious if I could print it on the S5.

You may have nailed it with the wobble theory.