UM3 how to use x-fields in the cluster-api/v1/print_jobs API?

backbone

Posted · UM3 how to use x-fields in the cluster-api/v1/print_jobs API?

Hello all,

I am trying to send a file to UM3 using cluster-api/print_jobs

cluster-api/v1/print_jobs/

In this API, there is an optional input field called x-Fields.

I assume i can use it in order to send info about the printing job file, like limitations for material or extruder type, temperature range and others..

is this correct? how can i use it? in case that  x-Fields is not the right way, is there some other way to do it?

in general i see that x-Fields is optional for other APIs as well, where do i get more detailed documentation about using x-Fileds in these various APIs?

it seems that gcode slicing files that were saved from cura, can include such info on them. but i need to find a way to control other files as well (not created from Cura), so i need some way to pass those options to the printer

3 hours ago, backbone said:

it seems that gcode slicing files that were saved from cura, can include such info on them. but i need to find a way to control other files as well (not created from Cura)

regarding x-Fields: i have no idea, i guess it's undocumented for a reason...

Anyway: the printer reads the mentioned (meta-) data from the gcode header only (AFAIK).

That means: if you want to send gcode files from other sources, you have to add appropriate header (comment) lines at the beginning of the file. Simplify3D - for example - does it with a post processing script.

1 minute ago, tinkergnome said:

you have to add appropriate header (comment) lines at the beginning of the file. Simplify3D - for example - does it with a post processing script.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I will not be the one to create the files for print, or neither will i be able to control them. thats why i am trying to go around and try the x-Fields.

• 1 month later...

If you are forwarding gcode files from a web portal, you can certainly prepend information to the files you send (look first if it has the info already).