UM2 - Stuck print head

Posted · UM2 - Stuck print head

Hello

My trusty UM2 has suddenly got huge trubbles moving its head!

I had a print going last night and when i checked it today it looked like this(see pics).

I've had lube problems in the past so i tried cleaning and lubing my rails but it actually seems worse now.

With the power off i can barely move the head in any direction.

What should i do to solve this?

20190707_113217.jpg

20190707_113227.jpg

20190707_113239.jpg

3 hours ago, kjell-olav-forberg said:

With the power off i can barely move the head in any direction.

What should i do to solve this?

an idea:

I would loosen the holding screws of the x/y motors and remove the short belts from the pulleys.

Then - as a first step - you should be able to distinct between a bad motor and a bad bearing.

3 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

an idea:

I would loosen the holding screws of the x/y motors and remove the short belts from the pulleys.

Then - as a first step - you should be able to distinct between a bad motor and a bad bearing.

OK i could try that, that won't screw with any calibration stuff? 

Update; I took the steppers for x and y off and now it's smooth as butter. The stepper on the left is almost impossible to turn, is it dead? 

The one on the right is better but far from smooth turning. I should probably just get new ones right? Should I also change the feeder and z motors as well? I haven't felt them like this but the bed seems loose and fine. 

If the steppers are hard to turn by hand when it's disassembled then most likely they've gone out and need to be replaced. I would do the X and Y. I've not personally seen the Z-motor lock up in the same way, so if you're not having Z problems, it's probably okay.

9 minutes ago, fbrc8-erin said:

If the steppers are hard to turn by hand when it's disassembled then most likely they've gone out and need to be replaced. I would do the X and Y. I've not personally seen the Z-motor lock up in the same way, so if you're not having Z problems, it's probably okay.

OK thank you, should I buy genuine replacements? Or are ebay stepper just as good? 

On 7/7/2019 at 3:43 PM, kjell-olav-forberg said:

OK thank you, should I buy genuine replacements? Or are ebay stepper just as good? 

Personally, I'd get the parts from UM or an authorized seller, eBay ones can be very hit or miss with poor QC and there's no real reason to equip a printer of this price range with crummy sub-par parts. UM will have done their due diligence on finding a reputable supplier of quality parts, there's no reason to try to reinvent the wheel for saving $20

• Like 1

I did end up ordering genuine UM parts from a local shop, because of delivery time and warranty, and of course as @kirby207 said quality control etc. The extra cost however was closer to 60$ for the pair though... 

I also ordered some new belts and the extrusion upgrade pack while I was at it so my machine is really getting a lot of attention 😁

• Like 1

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Upgrade Kit. And good call on the belts!

• Like 1

That's so good to hear! I've been considering buying it for years but haven't dared spend that much on it.