Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

UM3 NOZZLE 2 always leveled too close to bed after active leveling

Posted · UM3 NOZZLE 2 always leveled too close to bed after active leveling

V5.2.17 was released today and fixes most of the known Active Levelling problems. With the 5.2 release we introduced an optimization for the probing speed by re-using old probing data when this existed but we missed a few situations where this old data should have been discarded. 

Most stupid bug was that we did re-use the probing report of a 1-nozzle print for a 2-nozzle print. This created many of the problems reported here where the 2nd nozzle was grinding or printing in the air. Note that these optimizations affect the UM3 only, the S-line uses a different algorithm and probes always.

To my knowledge all blocking Active Levelling bugs in the UM3 have now been fixed, only a few exceptional situations remaining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 12:51 AM, CarloK said:

V5.2.17 was released today and fixes most of the known Active Levelling problems.

Thanks @CarloK !

I have upgraded my two UM3E to 5.2.17 from 4.3.3 in two steps without any issues.

The dual extrusion now works properly with this FW.

I have also implemented the tweak you've provided on mesh leveling but kept 9 probing points, so I'll be able to reduce the first layer thickness for fine prints.

• 2 weeks later...

This issue still persists in 5.2.18. After upgrading both my UM3 and UM3E, the UM3E started exhibiting this exact behaviour although the UM3 did not.

After performing manual levelling and running the active levelling procedure, Print core 2 would print WAY too close to the bed. Was pulling my hair out trying to troubleshoot thinking it was a mechanical issue. Also tried swithcing print cores for both slots (all stock) and the issue persisted. After finding this thread and setting active levelling to "Always" (it was previously set to once a week), I could resume printing with active levelling calibrating the values correctly.

These are the steps that introduced the issue on my UM3 Extended (again did not apply to my UM3)

1) Perform manual levelling

2) Run active levelling from the build plate menu

3) Try to print with print core 2 -- core 2 is too close to the bed

^ worth noting I repeated the above steps multiple times for troubleshooting so maybe an error was introduced due to redundancy

Going from 5.2.11 to 5.2.17 has solved my issues.

However material profiles I had created for PETG couldnt be used after the firmware update.

Updating Cura from 4.7 to 4.10 resolved it though

On 8/5/2021 at 12:51 AM, CarloK said:

V5.2.17 was released today and fixes most of the known Active Levelling problems. 

@CarloK The upgrade to 5.2.17 has fixed the leveling issues. I'm printing dual extrusion since mid August with that version without any issue.

But it has introduced an error in the filament loading and unloading procedures with a wrong length for the Bowden tubes. In um3.json, the Bowden tube length now is 700 mm. I think it was 760 mm in the previous version of 5.2.

Can you confirm ?

@V3DPrinting I already replied your same question in another thread. Summary: no, this value wasn't changed in the 5.2 versions. The last change is from April 2016 when it was reduced from 750mm to 700mm, that's the correct value for the unmodified printers.

11 hours ago, CarloK said:

@V3DPrinting I already replied your same question in another thread. Summary: no, this value wasn't changed in the 5.2 versions. The last change is from April 2016 when it was reduced from 750mm to 700mm, that's the correct value for the unmodified printers.

@CarloK Thanks for the reply and sorry for the double post. I couldn't remember if I had posted it. I'll check my Bowden tube length then.