UM3 NOZZLE 2 always leveled too close to bed after active leveling

Posted · UM3 NOZZLE 2 always leveled too close to bed after active leveling

Thanks for all the extensive testing you do, guys.

About the 'Never' setting for Active Leveling, that was an example of very poor naming. Sorry, for that. Our native language isn't English and from this we learned that proof reading by multiple (native) English speakers is required.

What we intended here was 'Use manual leveling instead of Active Leveling'. But well, given the small screen size that didn't fit and we made a poor alternative choice that could be explained in multiple ways.

In 5.2.17 we fixed a few Active Leveling bugs, but from the findings here it seems like there is still a bug when you use the Never setting. One that comes to mind: The offset is stored for each print core, but when you do manual leveling, then only the mounted set of cores are updated. I'll have to check what happens with the data of the other cores. With a Factory Reset this would be fixed and might explain what @upatamby experienced.

Note that the S-line of printers removed the manual leveling option. We've learned that always leveling yields better results. A good bed adhesion requires the bed to be within 0.1mm tolerance. The printer's dimensions change with temperature. A change in room temperature, sunshine, repeated (hot) prints, etc., can all be reasons for your print to fail that's why we made the Active Leveling compulsory and I recommend this for the UM3 too.

• Like 4

Hi! This happens on my S3 when using 2 3d Solex Hardcore (AA + BB). When using 3d Solex AA + Ultimaker BB everything is alright.

So maybe try like they said and do a "factory reset".  It's in the maintenance menu.  Then the next time you level it should be okay.  

Personally my UM3 (pretty much the same firmware) remembers the leveling for pairs of cores but when I switch to an older set I always have to relevel (but I do only manual leveling on my UM3).  So something is off about how it stores the previous leveling values (I'm careful not to touch any of the 3 screws when I level since the bed is perfectly level - it's just the height from nozzle to glass that I'm trying to calibrate).

I have a few 3dsolex core's myself and I do customer support for people with them if they are in the USA so I'm very interested in this topic.  If you are in USA we can take this offline if you want.

4 hours ago, LoS said:

Hi! This happens on my S3 when using 2 3d Solex Hardcore (AA + BB). When using 3d Solex AA + Ultimaker BB everything is alright.

I had the same issue with 3d Solex Hardcore on my S5. It was linked with the spring being too weak and the seating of the print core in the printhead.

Checking the spring length and extending it a bit has solved the problem for me

1 hour ago, gr5 said:

So maybe try like they said and do a "factory reset".  It's in the maintenance menu.  Then the next time you level it should be okay. 

Thanks, I will try that, hopefully this weekend, right now i'm running a 2 days print. Also, I'm not from USA, but thanks for your offer.

1 hour ago, V3DPrinting said:

I had the same issue with 3d Solex Hardcore on my S5. It was linked with the spring being too weak and the seating of the print core in the printhead.

I've already replaced the spring with one from an ultimaker core, but with no luck

Had the same problems and it´s very much a hardware thing only.

The printcores are sometimes a little sticky and don´t settle completely in the "Z 0" position after nozzle swap. During normal operation this is no issue because the filament is pushing the printcore down into settled position. But during bed leveleing the filament is not pushing an you coud get a significant offset in nozzle hight. (around 0,15mm in my case)

Especially the 3D Solex Hardcore Printcores are prone to this issue as they have much smaller tolerances.

How to solve the problem with Manual Bed leveling:

• Start manual bed leveling an do as instructed until you reach the step were the nozzle is swapped to nozzle 2
    • now push down the printcore manually using the loaded filament -> relese tension wheel at the extruder and push filament firmly by hand
      • alternatively push the printcore down from the front or top with a suitable tool (e.g. allen key)
    • adjust the Z hight for nozzle 2 as instructed
    • problem should be solved -> to check start the "nozzle XY calibration" which schould work now without nozzle 2 touching the buildplate

Maybe ist also usefull to make sure Prointcore 1 is settletd completely bevor starting the bed adjusting, but interestingly i never had problems there...

This should also work with active leveling, but i never tested it...

• Like 1