FalmouthLouis

Beyond PLA: how to avoid long-term warping?

Posted · Beyond PLA: how to avoid long-term warping?

I do a lot of demonstrations in schools and trade fairs, so I have printed a serious range of models - from toys to engineering products - which I can use to engage people in discussions about the potential of 3D printing.

I have primarily printed in PLA, being attracted by its surface finish and wide range of colours. However, in the recent hot spell here in the UK, I've had some quite important prints warp where there are relatively thin elements to the design. Clearly, some PLA prints cannot withstand the heat when left for an afternoon in the interior of a car during a reasonably hot British summer day.

What filament should I move on to, since I want to avoid having this happen again? I need something which is as robust as PLA, but which won't suddenly warp on me in this way. Having a good variety of colours available is important - as would be surface finish.

Yes, I know the experience with PLa demo-models left in the car...

Now I use PET and NGEN for parts for my car: dash cam filter mount, clamps,... Up till now these have survived unwarped. These materials are still easy to print.

Geert_2: I started printing in NGEN and got some nice clean results.

However, I just tried a 24 hour print of a good test design - the Platform Jack - and printed slowly play safe. It printed without problem until about hour 22 when it slipped on the print bed. On checking, the base of the print had warped badly. Photo is attached. The print is upside down. The warped face was on the print bed.

Any thoughts? I set the design up using setting taken from the Colorfabb website. I've only just realised that Eastman's template for Amphora AM3300 could well be more precise.

Does NGEN have a reputation fo r warping during printing?

Warped Platform jack.jpg