Cura 4.2 won't start on windows 10 64-bit

SmileyNeil

Posted · Cura 4.2 won't start on windows 10 64-bit

I just updated to Cura 4.2 on windows 10 home 64-bit (build 17134.885).  It won't start.  I don't even get the splash screen, just a flicker of something on the task bar, 5 seconds of hourglass and then nothing.  I initially got this with 3.6, 4.0 and 4.1, but they worked after I switched them to windows 8 compatability mode.  That trick doesn't work for Cura 4.2.   Any ideas how to solve this?

Cheers.

• Like 1

Same here. I've tried everything that comes to mind to get it started with no results. Surprisingly, if I open the Task Manager, there is an instance of Cura.exe running. I've tried to stop it and start againg, but it doesn't work.

• Like 1

Same here.  I was on a chat with https://ultimakernasupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us# and they had me run a dxdiag report.  Sometimes cura will run after I run this report, but not always.  I have the best luck right clicking on the icon and choose more/run as administrator.  Even though run as administrator is checked in the properties.  But this is far from a fix.  On Monday I am going to open another chat with them to see if there is anything else they can do to help.

Hope what I have stated helps open cura for you.  I, myself am a newbie.  I have only had my printer for a week now.

I'll post back after I chat with support again on Monday.

Chip

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.2 won't start on windows 10 64-bit

I think I just solved this problem. I've been fighting with it for 3 days.

I have run the compatibility troubleshooter and it has recommended Windows 8 compatibility.

I now have it running.

It did change some settings in my active profile which it adopted from my 4.1 config. It changed line width and speeds.

Edited by Stuarts
Correcting error
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stuarts said:

I have run the compatibility troubleshooter and it has recommended Windows 8.1 compatibility.

I now have it running.

It did change some settings in my active profile which it adopted from my 4.1 config. It changed line width and speeds.

Thanks for the info, however, I don't have a Win 8.1 compatibility  listed.  How did you get that option?

Thank you.

Chip

Hi Everyone,

I just spent a long time in a chat with https://ultimakernasupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us# and thus far, seem to have a fix.  

1-Close Cura if you have it open

2-uncheck the "Send (Anonymous) print information, in the general setting in Cura settings. (See attached)

3-go to... this PC/Windows (C:)/Users/<usernamer>/Appdata/Local and delete the Cura folder

4-go to... this PC/Windows (C:)/Users/<usernamer>/Appdata/Roaming and delete the Cura folder

**You will have to reconfig your printer

5-Make sure that you are opening the program as an admin.

If has worked for me so far, but time will tell.  I hope this helps others out.

Chip

Cura Settings.png

On 8/14/2019 at 10:01 AM, TrollingFlies said:

2-uncheck the "Send (Anonymous) print information, in the general setting in Cura settings. (See attached)

Ok, you lost me at step 2.  OP's issue is that 4.2.x won't start up in win10 -- how do you change general settings if the app won't load?  I'm having the exact same issue.  thanks!

1 hour ago, dwardio said:

Ok, you lost me at step 2.  OP's issue is that 4.2.x won't start up in win10 -- how do you change general settings if the app won't load?  I'm having the exact same issue.  thanks!

dwardio,

Sorry, I was able to eventually open Cura and that allowed me to do step 2.  

HOWEVER, after doing all the things I said, I still have troubles opening Cura.  Sometimes it will open when I right click on the icon and choose Run as Admin. Sometimes right clicking on the icon and selecting "troubleshoot compatibility" and letting that run willl then open Cura.  Sometimes it will open after running a  "dxdiag" report.  Regardless, I struggle to open Cura every day.

I don't know if this will help, but please let me know if there is anything else I can do.  

Chip

If you delete the Cura folders under AppData Local and Roaming you essentially have a new install of Cura (unless there are damaged or missing files in your original install)
    You can try opening Cura after you have removed these files and see if it will open. You might try running it as Administrator.
    I have sometimes had a problem where it won't start from the original shortcut so I usually try running it from a variety of other shortcuts (Start Menu, taskbar or direct from installation location) In most cases it eventually starts. If you get Cura reporting that it has a configuration error and it wants to reset it for you, this will delete any settings and profiles you have already set up. It does, however, create a zipped backup of your old directory that you can access if you need to.
    If you think your Cura installation is a problem and you just want to start fresh (not worrying about saving old settings and profiles) I would delete the two AppData Local and Roaming folders and then uninstall Cura. This would ensure that all Cura associated files have been removed and there should be no conflicts with old files.
    I'm not sure of the purpose behind adjusting the Privacy Settings but if they are a problem maybe unchecking both would be better?

On an additional note, rather than deleteing the two Cura folders you may want to temporarily move the Roaming one (maybe drop it on your desktop) so you don't lose any profiles you might want later. The Local one, AFAIK, is used as a cache so it doesn't really matter for this.

Edited by ksihota
    additional information
    • Like 1

8 hours ago, TrollingFlies said:

HOWEVER, after doing all the things I said, I still have troubles opening Cura.

Ditto.  I finally grew frustrated with thrashing with settings, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. and just put it on my macbook. Boom, done.

18 hours ago, dwardio said:

Ditto.  I finally grew frustrated with thrashing with settings, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. and just put it on my macbook. Boom, done.

Pretty sure this is the route I am going to go as well.  I am getting the Load Library Error 87 problem.

I had the same problem on windows 10 Home, 64-bit operating system and I just search the app "Cura" and on the bar I pinned to the taskbar, and then opened it. It said there was a firewall issue, selected to allow running the program and solved the problem.  Hope this will help..

I had the same problem , work for me after killing  all cura.exe in task manager 

then on cura 4.2.1 icon  right click running troubleshoot compatibility open as windows 8 

then uncheck the "Send (Anonymous) print information as TrollingFlies explain above 

22 hours ago, Ilanh said:

I had the same problem , work for me after killing  all cura.exe in task manager 

then on cura 4.2.1 icon  right click running troubleshoot compatibility open as windows 8 

then uncheck the "Send (Anonymous) print information as TrollingFlies explain above 

Once I remembered that the compatibility check is located under the "Properties" selection, this worked perfectly.  Thanks to all!

I also had to run compatibility mode for Windows 8.

5 hours ago, Travis7s said:

I also had to run compatibility mode for Windows 8.

Compatibility mode did not work for me.  But I kinda like my Mac better anyway.

Hello all,

I had Cura 4.2.1 running fine since its debut. My Windows 10 Pro 64bits was version 1803, but it decided to update itself to version 1903 last week, and it crashed my system beyond repair.

After formatting and reinstalling everything, already with Win10 ver 1903, I installed Cura and faced this same issue, i did not even get the Cura splash screen.

The solution was to kill Cura task on Task Manager, because it was kept on background, and start it as administrator once. It came up normally and I disabled that checkbox "Send (anonymous) print information" on Cura's preferences config. I guess now that I could just allow Cura through the firewall as well.

Anyway, the important thing is that I did not delete any previous config folder and did not loose my printers and materials personal settings. And no need for keeping Cura on compatibility mode, after the first run as administrator, it will run every time as normal.

Hopping for having been helpful to someone, best regards.

• Thanks 1

I believe the issue is with windows security. After my windows 10 updated, my copy of Cura 4.1 would not run ether. I updated Cura to 4.2, and it still would not run. After running Cura as administrator, and answering yes to running software from an unknown publisher, Cura now opens every time.

On 8/5/2019 at 4:53 AM, Stuarts said:

I have run the compatibility troubleshooter and it has recommended Windows 8 compatibility.

I ran compatibility troubleshooter on it and it fixed it.  

This behavior has only started after a certain Win10 update. I could hold it off for a couple of months, then didn't use Cura for a while, didn't pay attention and couldn't revert anymore to the driver set that didn't show the problem 😢

Came across all you're saying above (dxdiag, opengl and video card drivers, safe mode, administrator and compatibility modes...) nothing worked so far... looking for another PC 😢

Dxdiag did render the R3.3.1 usable again... the version that doesn't support Prusa i3 yet - arghh, damn...

Edited by MB3Y

Hi, i installed Cura 4.3 on Win10 and i have exactly the same problems, Cura installs but then when i try to start it nothing happens as described above.  Nothing seems to get it to work.  Is this a problem with a recent Win10 update?  If anyone has any ideas as to how to resolve be much appreciated! 

I had the same issue, updated graphics driver, issue solved.

Got it to work finally - PC reboot - Compatibility Windows8 and execute as administrator , optim for full screen off - back in business... but the upcoming MMU is only supported in Slic3r... euh...