Cura not scaling properly

nsanti

Posted · Cura not scaling properly

yesterday I received a monoprise select mini v2. I am trying to make things for an n scale train layout, but cura is not working properly. For example, when I take this model (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1179007/files) and try to scale it to 12mm in the x direction, the layer view is blank. I need to scale it down since 12mm is about 6 feet in real life. The layer view slider works, but there is no model there. I have had this same issue with trying to scale down multiple objects. I am using cura version 15.04.6. 

I suspect the walls are too thin.  Set the "line width" in cura 15.X to 0.1mm or even 0.01mm to see if it then is happy to slice that bench.  Then if it does, try increasing the line width until it will no longer slice.  If it will slice with a 0.2mm line width then you can slice it in the latest cura (cura 4.X) by checking the box "print thin walls".

Even better, purchase a smaller nozzle.  If you are going to be printing lots of small stuff like this you should get a smaller nozzle anyway.  I sell 0.1, 0.15, 0.25mm nozzles for all Ultimaker printers and these work for about 95% of the printers out there.  Does monoprice mini have the standard M6 standard thread?  If so then you can use any of the "UM2" nozzles here:

https://thegr5store.com/store/index.php/um2-noz.html

For you all in Europe try 3dsolex.com for small nozzles.

I have the layer height set to 0.1 and the shell thickness set at 0.8. I am not sure how to set just the line width, or if the is even an option. The latest version of cura does also not work on this printer, i have tried to load it and it doesn't finish every time when trying to print.

I have just tried the same model in cura version 4.1 and it is slicing properly with the same dimensions. The only problem is that I can't print with this version of cura.

right in 15.X it's called "nozzle width".  Set that to 0.1 to see if it slices.  Make sure the "shell" thickness is a multiple of the nozzle size.  Cura 15 picks a line width invisibly based on these 2 values.  For example if you pick nozzle size of 1mm and shell width of 2.2mm then cura will pick a line width of 1.1mm because that's the closest good choice to the nozzle size.

thanks, this fixed my problem, but will setting the nozzle size to .1 work for all models i'm having the issue with, and will this print correctly even though the size in the program doesn't match the printer. 

It will *not* work to print a 0.1mm line width using a 0.4 nozzle.  You can go down to about 0.35 with a 0.4 nozzle.

Did you try 0.2?  0.3?  0.35?  Where EXACTLY does it stop working?  Again, make your "wall width" an exact multiple of nozzle size when using cura 15.X.  Always.

If it works with 0.2 then you could get a 0.25 nozzle.  You will want it anyway if you are printing lots of HO scale stuff.

Also you will need to print probably 5 benches at a time - this gives each bench time to cool before the print head comes back and deposits another layer.

Monoprice doesn’t make the printers they sell. My Monoprice Ultimate is really a Wanhao Duplicator 6. It looks like the mini is a Malayan M200 which has a printer definition in (later versions of) Cura.

There’s a pretty extensive Wiki for your printer at https://www.mpselectmini.com/slicers/cura

Welcome to the community, have fun, and listen to @gr5 😊

is there any way I could fix the models that are giving me this problem. I have access to sketchup and blender. I really don't want to mess around changing the nose since I just got the printer and I am brand new to 3d printing.

Others here have said that Sketchup tends to cause problems.

Blender should be useful, and there is a thread here

Fusion 360 (free for student or “startup” use...startup license can be renewed every year) can also be used. To load an STL in Fusion, first upload it via the Data Panel.

I am having the same issue with a model I designed in sketchup. With a .4mm nozzle set in cura it only shoes one layer, and some parts are not colored in showing that the printer will print them.

Do a search in the forums for Sketchup and watertight. 

STL files are just a bunch of triangles...there’s no concept of shapes, cylinders, spheres, etc. Apparently the STL files generated by Sketchup are not watertight and/or have other problems.

you may be able to fix them with the MeshTools, but it would be worth your while to learn a better tool to create models.