Build plate area with prime tower

paulgocher

Posted (edited) · Build plate area with prime tower

Hi.

In Cura, why does the working with of the UM3 build plate reduce by the best part of 5mm each side when I turn on the prime tower? I can see no reason why this needs to happen. Parts that used to fit on the build plat no longer do.

Is there a fix / work round for this?

Cheers,

Paul.

Edited by paulgocher
inaccurate info in content

Posted · Build plate area with prime tower

Can you show a photo of what your part looks like and the location of the prime tower (show screen shot of cura is what I mean) and also in cura do a "file" "save" and post the 3mf file here.  The 3mf file will include ALL your settings, your printer settings, your part to print, the orientation of the part... everything.  So other's on this list can duplicate.

I'm going away for 2 days so someone else will have to answer this.

Hi gr5.

Just open up a new Cura and flick the prime tower on and off. You will see the shaded area increase / decrease around the edge of the build plate. I can think of no reason why this should be, so to resolved this, I have gone into machine settings and increased the working size of the build plate to 225mm in the "Y" direction. Seems to be working fine.

Something else I have noticed with the latest cura, 4.2.1. I can no longer have the first layer of support at 100% density, this has just stopped working.... however there are many settings in Cura I just don't understand so perhaps I am doing something wrong?

What I really need is a setting so the first layer of print on top of support material is speed variable, or a setting so one can change the speed for individual layers. Sometimes a print messes up because I don't get to manually slow it down when vulnerable details are printed.

Cheers,

Paul.

UM3_30-07-19 CAN NOT SET L1 SUPPORT TO 100percent.3mf

On 8/2/2019 at 5:23 AM, paulgocher said:

What I really need is a setting so the first layer of print on top of support material is speed variable

Ah. This feature is available in the @burtoogle version of cura which I recommend.  It fixes a few minor but annoying bugs as well.  You can download it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0&lst=

[edit by gr5: OOPS!  CORRECTION - I thought you mean the first layer above infill - I don't think you can control the speed of the first layer above *support*.  Maybe there is a speed_at_layer plugin that I don't know about?]

After you launch this version, search in settings for "bridge".  Check the box "enable bridge settings" and set the "bridge skin support threshold" to 50 (or at least well over the % of your infill I suppose?  Just set it to 50).

Now you can set speed, and flow control and other nice settings for the first (or first and second) layers above infill.

FYI "skin" is the top/bottom wall layers (not really walls - top bottoms).

I tried checking the "enable prime tower" box and the only change to the gray area is right there under the prime tower - there is a little square there.  In the right rear corner.  Is that what you mean?  You can't have the print *inside* the prime tower.  They need to be separate.

a.thumb.png.9a9b3e2d1953eca3051312ccc13bf14b.png

I tried your 3mf file and I checked and unchecked the prime tower and again it only affected the prime tower.  Just the tiny gray circle (circled in red below). I have a custom version but I don't think this is a bug I've heard of before.  If you want to try the version of cura I'm using, it's here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0&lst=

b.thumb.png.f62715b7d9ff9ab32dece189e39ebc17.png