Ultimaker R&D - We want your ideas!

Daid

Posted · Ultimaker R&D - We want your ideas!

I currently have an UP plus printer and their software has filament tracking built in. Its a useful feature and works. I doesn't need to be overly accurate and its fine to under estimate the remaining filament a few percent. If it warns that there is not enough it gives you the chance to put a new roll on. I don't have to use it, I can just go ahead and print but I have the choice.

The uSw is ok, uSw + software is terrific.

(The UP plus has a small build volume, hence the UM2 on order).

• 2 months later...
    • Replies 76
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that enclosing the unit to keep the print area warm is a good idea when printing ABS. I have not made an enclosure yet, but will soon. This seems like a good option for something to sell so people don't have to make their own.

Selling enclosures is a bit trickey due to patents. There is atleast one patent that I know of that "protects" the usage of a heated chamber. There might be some ways to avoid infringing the patent, but it does complicate matters.

Hmmm... They patented an enclosure to keep the heat inside a closed environment... Have they also patented a protection cover to avoid people to get in contact with vapor from melted plastic??? Maybe there is a way... Would be interested in analyzing the patent - maybe my students could do this.... :-)

Some usability ideas, I know some have already been suggested elsewhere..

Start Print at X

where X is the gcode line where the next object starts. Either by entering the Gcode line, or better yet if Cura somehow flags where an object has finished, and next one starts (within the same file) and you can continue from the next object. From the ulticontroller.

Reasoning for this is, I usually print many small unique objects at once. I like the quality of them going in sequence. BUT if one fails along the way, I have to figure out which paticular part I'm missing in Cura, and regenerate the Gcode file for the missing objects. Now this is hard because I usually make a Gcode file, and then delete all my objects off Cura and set the next one. Pair with unique settings per file, and you have a huge logistical mess. If I could just start at object 4 of 9. because 4 failed to stick onto the tape... then I would be one happy camper.

Cura

Different profiles/settings per object when doing multiple object prints he

Cura

Save project - like a Cura project. like a PSD is to a photoshop file.

Currently, we can only save model, profile, or generate Gcode.

That's like Photoshop only allowing you to export a .jpg and your workspace settings.

Granted most of the time, you don't need to go back to your cura file, but on more complex projects with many little parts, I'd like to go back and tweak rather than set a new one up each time.

Top layer - Cura should pay extra attention to the top layer, ensuring it doesn't drag the nozzle across all the beautifully made parallel lines. Fills the top layer at 1/4 infil speed so underextrusion which is often so present in the top layers is minimized.

[...]

Top layer - Cura should pay extra attention to the top layer, ensuring it doesn't drag the nozzle across all the beautifully made parallel lines. Fills the top layer at 1/4 infil speed so underextrusion which is often so present in the top layers is minimized.

This might be achieved in some cases with a combination of the TweakAtZ plugin and another plugin (post 13 in this thread). Depends on the geometry.

Cura

Save project - like a Cura project. like a PSD is to a photoshop file.

Currently, we can only save model, profile, or generate Gcode.

That's like Photoshop only allowing you to export a .jpg and your workspace settings.

Granted most of the time, you don't need to go back to your cura file, but on more complex projects with many little parts, I'd like to go back and tweak rather than set a new one up each time.

Saving as AMF saves a whole plate of objects keeping all the objects seperate. It does not contain settings, but it does contain a plate of individually printed objects.

Hello Daid,

i have started this thread : http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4207-no-jam-extruder-idea/

that might be of interest to you: It's about measuring the pushing force the extruder is creating, to automatically adjust extrusion rates, for example if the filament diameters are less than ideal.

I had another "great" idea that I think would be very easy. Use a magnetic switch to monitor rotation of the feed spool. Embed magnets into the spools or make an attachment on the spool holder.

If it were me, I'd put a 'roller' on the filament feed. That is, put a low friction roller onto the filament before it enters the extruder. If the filament moves, so does the roller and so software can detect filament movement. If the filament stops moving (perhaps because there is none, or perhaps due to an extruder failure, blockage, etc) then again, software can detect this and act accodingly.

I guess you could go super-advanced and have the roller built into the extruder (so maybe between the extruder gear and the bowden), but that's more of an in-manufacturing solution rather than an an add on that we could print out ;-)

FWIW, I was considering a pre-feed solution because my 5Kg roll of filament is pretty old and now it's running low the filament is quite tightly wound in the spool. This gives the filament quite a sharp 'bend' which isn't ideal to feed through the bowden. Such a device could easily double-up as a feed detector.

Two more ideas.

I'm not very patient. How about heating the bed as soon as the printer is turned on? I suspect this does not happen now to prevent burns to the hand or maybe save energy. Maybe just go to 50C. It could be an option to turn on/off.

I would also like to have the option in CURA to slow the print speed when the support reaches the main object. I have slowed it down to 10% when these points meet and was pleased with the results. I would also like to slow it down automatically when flat angles are being printed on the object.

How about changing the main screen on the printer when something is printing. Eliminate the line showing what is printing. I already know that because I selected the file to print. I would like to see "Now printing layer 37/517."

I made a few mockups for that a while ago, I'll repost them here. It would be nice to have but probably not something that should be high priority right now. I've looked very briefly into implementing it myself but I haven't done any actual work (I did change the heat-up screen to show temperatures instead of the bar though since that was an easy fix).

Um2 display example3

Um2 display example2

Um2 display example

I like the first one best of the 3 ^^

I like the first one best of the 3 ^^

If we are voting im supporting your suggestion

Yeah, I would second that vote :-P. A really nice looking display with a lot of pertinent information that's easy on the eyes.

But please, before implementing it, fix other annoying issues like retraction settings that won't be saved. These are far more annoying for the daily printer usage.

That's probably because they are posted in reverse chronological order :p

edit: Nicolinux snuck in between. And yes, I agree, that's why I said it probably shouldn't be a high priority.

@IRoberti

I love your screen there! :cool:

I want the same! :mrgreen:

Except that the top 10 pixels are not really readable if you stand in front of the machine, making all 3 options not really good IMHO.

Maybe put the least important thing in the top 10 pixels then. Such as the name of the print.

Wait - what do you mean by "stand in front of machine". If I crouch down with the display at eye level can I see the top 10 pixels then?

I'd say it depends where you put your printer. I don't think anybody dares to put their beloved UM2 on the floor. And when you intearact with the scroll wheel, you'll automatically bend down because otherwise the scroll wheel is quite uncomfortable to use. So I'd say the top 10px aren't an issue.

EDIT: damn, sorry for the edit...

Except that the top 10 pixels are not really readable if you stand in front of the machine, making all 3 options not really good IMHO.

So you're saying we're "holding it wrong"? :p Personally I think it's a non issue to maybe have to bend over ever so slightly to see the top line. Alternatively move the "Abort, Tune, (Pause?)" to the top.

2 more ideas.

I would like to change the infill % at certain times during a print. For example, I recently printed a pirate ship. I selected 20% infill in Cura. That was fine for the hull. The masts needed 100% because I broke all 3 off when cleaning up the model. In the layer view of Cura I see that the deck ends at layer 164/1104. The default infill would be 20% for the hull. I want to tell Cura that begining at layer 150 I want the infill to be 70%. Then at layer 160 I want to switch to 100%.

I have learned how the volume of filament/sec is a nice thing to know for print quality. (Layer height X nozzle dia X mm/sec) How about a field in Cura that does the math for you. The field could change from green to red to indicate the expected quality. The color would need to change at different rates based on which machine is selected and would only be a guideline.

I also like the first of the 3 screens and agree it shouldn't be a priority.

can you PLEASE build a laser cuter extension for thin material and a fiber epoxy extruder for the Ultimaker 3 !!!!!!?????

:roll:

Congrats on making a easy to assemble "homemade" 3D printer kit a reality for many of us, and improving on it with the version 2.

What I would like to see :

Adding new features to Cura :

- Ability to continue a failed print. (I know this can be done manually, but to be able automatically inspect the gcode, and restart where left off would be huge).

- More setting to printing speed/quality. Ability to select lower speeds and smaller layer size for outer walls, independently would be a great plus.

The printer :

- A detection when the print fails. Head stops moving, or the piece comes off the base and printer starts going all spaghetti. Would be nice to know that nothing serious can happen during an over-night print, and if something does go wrong, the printer will stop and move the head to a safe location.

In addition :

- I am sure you have run in the past and will run in the future to some problems while using the Ultimaker or just testing features. Would be nice to have a video tutorial on how to solve a particular problem, as someone might run into it later on.

When something goes wrong, just film while fixing it, and maybe something can come of it, and help us. And if not it can either make a nice Vlog, or just never get out if not interesting or useful.

Anyhow keep going forward.