Pla+ under extrusion after retraction

Rene88

Posted · Pla+ under extrusion after retraction

Hello

I have a problem with printing with PLA+ 

i have a lot of under extrusion and it looks like that mostly/all happens when retraction is used.

and with a lot of retraction hapening a lot of under extrusion

i tried a lot of solutions i found on the net but nothing helped so far.

you can see my problem on the pictures. 

hope someone can help im desperate 

Printer:  ultimaker2 ext+ With TinkerGnome firmware.

Filament:  eSun Pla+ Black 2.85mm

20190819_070516.jpg

20190819_070540.jpg

20190819_070550.jpg

Can you start a test with a different filament? With the eSun you can read about problems again and again and if it is not the same with another filament then you have already found the error.

Personally I don't buy any more filament, which is especially cheap, because you get more problems with it than you save.

If it's not the filament, I would only think of the feeder, Bowden tube and PTFE coupler. Especially the coupler has a limited lifetime and should be changed more often. You can try to remove the Bowden Tube from the feeder and push the filament through manually. If this is hard or you feel a lot of friction, you should replace the Bowden Tube and/or PTFE Coupler.

with normal PLA i dont had any problems.

but i want to use PLA+ because it is stronger.

I hoped that someone could help me and that it is just a setting or something because PLA+ is a bit different.

34 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

but i want to use PLA+ because it is stronger.

You can use PLA+ from other brands, like UM ToughPLA or PolyMax or ..... 

It is not related to the properties of a stronger PLA, because ToughPLA prints like PLA without any problems.

Oke so the settings are the same so if it prints good with normal PLA is also has to be good with PLA+

i will look at UM ToughPLA then

Basically yes, with UM ToughPLA and the default profile, it prints a little slower, but I haven't compared both profiles (PLA, ToughPLA)

But I also used PolyMax with the generic PLA setting without problems.

i have UM tough PLA now but it looks like it is worse now..

a lot more under extrusion 

now working on replacing the nozzel completly maybe it helps.

it is very frustrating 😞

2 hours ago, Rene88 said:

i have UM tough PLA now but it looks like it is worse now..

a lot more under extrusion 

now working on replacing the nozzel completly maybe it helps.

it is very frustrating 😞

I also picked up some different filament instead of the eSun and still having issues with underextrusion. But I was able to minimize it by either slowing down my print speed or increasing the temperature. 

Can you give us some info on your current print speeds and temperature? Those are the two biggest factors that contribute to underextrusion. 

First check whether is nozzle is clogged or not. whats your number of shell? increase to 3 and make sure it prints inner wall first then outer. change different brand of pla.

Thanks

I have no idea why you are underextruding but want to correct some misunderstandings.

According to eSun's specifications, PLA+ is not any stronger then their PLA.  It's a little bit stiffer which should make it more brittle but it's not much different than regular PLA as far as mechanical properties.

Ultimaker's "tough" pla is in the opposite direction - it is more flexible and slightly weaker than regular PLA.  Because of the higher flexibility it is much tougher.  So if you drop something that is "tougher" it is less likely to crack/break and more likely to bounce.  If you make something that is extremely flexible (think rubber bands, rubber shoes) then it is so tough you can drive over it with a car and not break it.  It will just deform.  Nylon tends to be like this (much tougher than pla or abs).  But being flexible is not usually a good quality.  Being "tough" is not necessarily a good quality.  Often we care more about strength.  You woudn't want a "tough" material for gear teeth or wrench or quadcopter arm, or many other structural designs.