Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
jumpmobile

Cura 13.10 not connecting on Linux and Marlin-firmware

Hi

I have been reading the UM-Forum for a while and you guys give great support!

Until today there was no reason for me to post anything because most of my problems were solved by either you or the google.groups-ppl. (and most of you are active in both) so first of all thank you!

So here is the first problem i haven't found a solution for. I have a Linux system (ubuntu 13.10) and recently updated to Cura 13.10.

I am running my UM over an Ulticontroller. On the machine itself there is a Marlin-Firmware running that has been updated a few months ago (but not by me. I share my printer with some other people).

Today i wanted to connect Cura to the printer and it now doesn't connect. That is propably because the firmware update was the original Marlin directly from the github which is set to 250000 baudrate, which is a known problem on Linux.

My Question: How do I install a new firmware without using Cura? Is there a way to do this with an SD-card and ulticontroller or must i use Pronterface?

Greetings Jumpmobile

When I try to install the custon firmware I made Cura immediately vanishes. I ran it again in a console and got this error:

python: Fatal IO error 11 (Die Ressource ist zur Zeit nicht verfügbar) on X server :0.

[xcb] Unknown sequence number while processing queue

[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has not been called

[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.

python: ../../src/xcb_io.c:274: poll_for_event: Zusicherung »!xcb_xlib_threads_sequence_lost« nicht erfüllt.

Aborted (core dumped)

I have no idea what that means (but it is kind of neat that the program actually apologizes for aborting :-)

Hey

This is the the friend of Jumpmobile writing. His version of Cura is now comunication with the printer. Firmwareupdates and First run wizard are working fine. Here is what I did:

About firmware upgrades:

On Linux (not tested on other platforms...) only the Thread that created the UI can interact with it. It's therfore not possible to update it in a seperate thread. My solution (i'm not experienced in python - unfortunatly it breaks the firmware upgrade dialog) was:

in firmwareInstall.py - replace

threading.Thread(target=self.OnRun).start()

with everything in the OnRun definition

--> Upgrade dialog is broken but update works

About connecting with autodetecting baudrates:

It seems like the printer is crashing if you try to communicate with the wrong baudrade (Seems to be a firmware bug). Simple solution:

add time.sleep(5) in line 377 of machineCom.py

--> Cura waits for 5 seconds after each baudrate, the printer restarts in that time and the connection works.